Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect brewer for someone like me, February 8, 2009
This review is from: Mr. Coffee Programmable Coffeemakers (Kitchen)
I bought the Mr. Coffee 4-cup coffee maker a month and a half ago, and have no complaints thus far. I use the thing almost every day.

Time involvement:
I am a college student and part time employee who wakes up a different time each morning of the week, and I also like to drink tea sometimes instead of coffee. Mostly I brew coffee in the morning, but sometimes I like to see if I can go all day without a caffeine dependence, only to find I need to brew a cup late in the evening to finish my day's responsibilities. So far, this coffee maker has fit very well into my irregular coffee drinking schedule. It brews all four cups in about 5 minutes, and it only takes a few minutes to place in a filter, add coffee grounds, brew, then rinse the carafe and removable coffee filter basket. On days when I'm racing out the door, taking the small amount of time to prepare my coffee doesn't impede my rush.

Taste:
I buy gourmet coffee, and I find that the coffee comes out tasting great. Sometimes I take my gourmet coffee to the brewer at work--which is a 12-cup, 2-carafe brewer--and the coffee isn't nearly as good. Since these are the only brewers I've used regularly, I'm not sure if there are any brewers that brew "cleaner," but since I don't notice any unusual tastes in my coffee, I'd say this one is pretty clean. To enhance taste, I use cold water from my Brita faucet filter--I've found that impurities in tap water are sometimes amplified when heated in coffee brewers. I use paper filters now, just because there weren't any 4-cup permanent filters at the store when I bought this, but I hear permanent filters provide even cleaner of a taste.

Speaking of the filter, I've read a few reviews complaints about the filter folding over and allowing grounds to drain into the carafe. If this is the only problem, a permanent filter will certainly take care of this. However, I have not once had this problem.

Size:
If you have more than one coffee drinker in the house, or you are someone who likes a lot of coffee to get going, you may need the 12 cup brewer. 4 cups are enough for me to put in my thermos and sip on all day at work or college, and if I ever need more, I prefer a fresh brew anyway. There's just something about the taste of reheated coffee that turns me off.

Carafe:
The 4-cup carafe is well built and easy to pour. I saw reviews about how hard it is to pour without spilling--I haven't had a single spill yet. Just make sure you keep the lid from flopping open. If you need to, place your thumb next to the hinge when holding it to keep it closed (if you own this, you should know what I mean). The one complaint I do have about it, though--and it's minor--is the extreme tapered shape. The taper at the top creates a little "shelf" where the last few drops of coffee get caught when pouring, and you almost have to invert the carafe completely upside down to get it out. However, the amount caught on this shelf is very small and not worth inverting to get out. I always rinse my carafe out after finishing the coffee, and it's no problem to invert the carafe over the sink.

Timer:
At first, I was upset that the "delay brew" feature needed set every night. I was hoping for a brewer that you turned on once, and it would automatically brew every morning. Now I know why they built this brewer this way. There are times I'm just too busy to remember changing the filter and coffee, or I forget to replace the carafe on the heated plate after rinsing it. I'd hate to wake up the next morning and see twice brewed coffee in my carafe, or worse, all over my counter and floor! This feature is a blessing for busy and scatterbrained people. And since you need to change the coffee and filter each night to have automatic brew the next morning anyway, turning the "delay brew" button on each night isn't any more of an inconvenience.

My brewer sits between my microwave and stove, both of which have clocks. I haven't noticed the time being off on my brewer in the time I've had it, like others have experienced.

Other:
It's small, light, and the filter basket comes out so you can rinse it after each brew. I think that's important to the freshness of your coffee. I've also torn open tea bags and poured the ground leaves into the coffee filter so I could brew large batches of tea. This seems to work great and really maximizes the flavor of the tea, but since tea stains easier than coffee, I have to pay more attention when I rinse my filter basket and carafe so the tea taste doesn't linger when I'm going to brew coffee.

Now, this coffee maker seems pretty solid. However, any appliance can break early, and since I've only had this coffee maker over a month, I can't say how long these things last. But I've had no problems so far, and I recommend this coffee maker.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 5, 2012 6:46:40 PM PST
S. Matus says:
thanks for the great review. by the way, you should consider purchasing some of your tea in loose leaf form. you get a good deal more tea per dollar, and this would save you the trouble of ripping open and throwing out your tea bags. Numi and Adagio (plus many others) sell a lot of loose leaf, if you want to look into it.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 11:53:15 AM PST
Cara George says:
thank you for such a wonderful, honest, and detail oriented review. wish everyone did this! thanks again and happy brewing! :-)

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 9:17:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2013 9:24:25 AM PDT
DM Stafford says:
Thanks for the input, guys. I am sad to say that I lost the carafe about a year after writing this review. I had moved and was hoping I'd stumble upon the carafe in a random box, but once everything was put away I had a coffee maker with no carafe. Replacements were 2/3 the cost of the whole unit, and I didn't want to be wasteful and completely replace the unit when it still functioned fine.

My dad ended up buying me a Cuisinart 4-cup coffee maker as a housewarming gift to replace the Mr. Coffee unit. The new maker definitely looks nicer and classier than the Mr. Coffee, but it is severely lacking. Though they were the same price, the Cuisinart didn't have the programmable timer. The momentary-contact on/off switch was finicky and you had to make sure it was pressed all the way. The pause-and-serve drip plug doesn't seal when you remove the carafe to pour a cup. There are a few other complaints, but alas...

I don't always brew coffee or tea at home and I'd hate to waste a functioning appliance, but if my new Cuisinart ever breaks I am going to quickly replace it with the Mr. Coffee in the original review.

Hope this helps!

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 12:00:45 PM PST
LADY MONROE says:
Thanks for being so detailed i appreciare it

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 1:34:10 PM PDT
G. Townsend says:
For a busy person, you sure wrote a long review. :-) But I am glad you did. You obviously want to help people, and you really did with me. Thank you so much, D.M.!!

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 2:54:56 PM PDT
MaChel NYC says:
Very detailed review - Thanks !!!

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 6:12:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2013 6:12:50 AM PDT
This was a really helpful, detailed review. Thanks! (As an aside, I also appreciate the attention given to grammar and spelling. I wish other reviewers were as conscientious.)

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 9:54:04 AM PST
Seeing as this was written in 2009, I hope you are well on your way to a promising career. Considering how clear, organized and grammatically correct your review was, I wouldn't doubt it for a minute. You are a gifted writer to say the least. My wife is purchasing this coffee maker based on your review alone. Normally it takes us a lifetime to make a decision as we muddle through all the "it's great" and "it's terrible" reviews, but not this time. You were so thorough (even addressing issues other reviewers brought up), we need look no further. Thank you for saving us time and helping the Amazon community make wise choices. Like the others said, I wish all reviewers were as talented as you - myself included. We wish you all the best!

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 7:25:55 AM PDT
Jane Cardoza says:
I'm thinking of getting this for my daughter who is going away to college in the fall. Your review helped a lot with my decision. Thank you !
‹ Previous 1 Next ›