5.0 out of 5 stars wow, simply amazing, August 30, 2011
This review is from: Acer Iconia TAB A100-07U08U 7-Inch Tablet (8GB) (Personal Computers)
This is my third Android tablet. My first was a very low budget tablet, the Archos 7 Home Tablet, the second was the Archos 70 Internet Tablet. I was looking for a tablet with more features, most importantly a rear camera and a GPS, but I didn't want to spend $600.

When I rate anything, I rate it based on what is being promised vs what has been delivered. So although I may mention cons in this review, it still scores a perfect rating because those cons are disclosed up front and I wasn't hit with any curve balls.

cons:
-No kick stand. I loved this about my first two tablets and I missed it on day 2 with this tablet.
-Short battery life. I am used to a 7 hour battery life and this tablet cuts 2 hours off of that.
-New OS version brings some apps not being ready. Not the device's fault, but it is still a bummer to see a Force Close.

pros:
-Honeycomb. My other two tablets were 1.5 and 2.2, so this is an amazing experience in comparison
-Price. This is an AMAZING deal considering it is competitively priced but has so many features that you would expect from a premium tablet
-GPS, gyrosensor, light sensor, rear camera, front camera, 1ghz dual core processor, 1 gb ram
-WiFi is super powerful in comparison to my other tablets.
-Very fast and responsive

Screen:
I wish the light sensor would kick it to full brightness more often, but I just turned the auto off and keep it at 50% brightness. The screen doesn't have the best viewing angles, but that is typical with the screen type. However, the display is super sharp and looks great!

WiFi:
When sitting at my desk, I was at maybe 5% reception for WiFi on my old tablet and I often dropped the connection depending on where it was sitting on my desk. With this tablet, I am about 50% reception and I haven't dropped yet. This WiFi is MUCH better than what I have seen before in other tablets.

Battery:
This tablet isn't for everyone because of the battery life. On travel days, it is really going to get to me. I plan on buying a battery charger to juice it up on heavy usage days, but I don't think I will hit empty that often.

Overall, if you want a 7" Android tablet that gives a great experience, this is for you. I can't stress how happy I am with my purchase and I think I will be sticking with this tablet for a while.

Edit (5/24/2012):
It's been a while since this review and there have been a lot of changes since then. Earlier this month, ICS Android 4.0 was released to the device. The system does appear to be snappier after the update, but there has not been an impact to battery life. Unlike when HC was a new OS, I have not had a single app that doesn't run correctly on ICS, so the transition was a lot smoother.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 3, 2011 4:29:30 AM PDT
Kambiz1 says:
Thank you for your review.
I have a question. On the description page it mentions that it comes with 4G technology. Does it? does it have a sim card slot? if yes, which frequencies does it work on?

Thanks in advance

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 3:00:33 PM PDT
No, WiFi only.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 1:17:17 PM PDT
Sean Janson says:
Hi, since you've mentioned the battery life, would you please let me know what the sticker on AC/DC adapter says about its OUTPUT (volts, amps- possibly watts), I am using a cheapo Li-Ion 5V/12V battery ($20.- on ebay) to juice up my current netbook. It may work for this tablet as well. Sean

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 5:45:53 AM PDT
It is 12 volt 1.5 amp.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 8:00:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2011 8:01:39 AM PDT
Sean Janson says:
Thanks,
it looks it may work with
if the barrel jack-plug fits. The item I mentioned has 2.1/1.5mm plug. I'll see if it fits or, if I have to do some soldering (as soon as I get the A100).
Sean

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 2:13:21 PM PDT
Morpheus says:
I know on the Galaxy tab that GPS can work without wifi or 3g. Does this tab have the same internal chip so that GPS works without internet connection?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 10:15:55 AM PDT
Diknak says:
The GPS works without an internet connection. It is the same A-GPS technology that is used in the Galaxy Tab.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 2:10:50 PM PDT
cabcow says:
after use for some time now. do you recommend new Acer customers to purchase an extra battery or pack a car charger for it will do

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 2:21:29 PM PDT
LarsonX says:
Hello,

I noticed you had been taking questions and have also been responding quickly so first Kudos to you and thanks a ton!
Since you were answering questions I have one. The Acer a100 Description says:

"Thanks to the Micro-USB 2.0 port and the Micro-SD slot, the Iconia Tab gives you the ability to connect USB flash drives, USB media card readers and even a portable hard drive. The expansion opportunities are endless."

Now I have read on several sites that you cannot use USB "Host" mode on the a100 (meaning you can only hook the a100 up to a PC via the micro USB, not use the Micro USB port for thumb drives, keyboards, or external hard drives because the a100 wont recognize them). I was wondering if you had a chance to test this at all? Is it possible to hook up thumb drives, keyboards, or external hard drives to the a100?

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 7:13:44 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 6, 2011 3:04:29 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (257 customer reviews)

$329.99 $169.88