Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent entry-level laptop / See October 2015 update bottom of review...didn't age well, August 6, 2014
This review is from: ASUS X551 15-Inch Laptop [OLD VERSION] (Personal Computers)
This is an excellent entry-level laptop with decent performance, a nice bright screen, and a light footprint at about 5 pounds. It also has a smaller a/c adapter sort of like an iPad instead of the older style "bricks" which is nice - I'm surprised it's taking manufacturers so long to copy Apple's lead in the small a/c adapter area. The keyboard does feel exceedingly cheap (much cheaper than my $299 HP Chromebook) and the entire keyboard vibrates as you are typing. If you push down on the "G" key with normal force, you will see that entire part of the keyboard (T,F,H,V,B) sink in which is a little disconcerting. The keyboard is definitely the weak link in this system. ALSO, it pays you to shop around.... there is a major price war going on and I was able to buy this at a local office supply chain which matched the price at the big box electronics store down the street....both of which were significantly less than the current price here on Amazon. ONE MORE TIP: There are two models of this computer that are identical EXCEPT one has a DVD player and one does not. As of this writing the one without has been hovering around $200 and the one with the DVD player is around $220. It is very easy to get them confused as they have the same box and almost the same model number, so be sure to look for the full model number when you are searching: X551MAV-RCLN06. Both boxes will say "X551" in big letters but you have to read the small print next to the serial number to make sure you are getting the correct one. I ordered this one and was shipped the non-DVD drive unit by an Amazon seller and had to return it.

Wow, this keyboard is really cheap.. I'm typing this review on it and it keeps dropping letters as I type. I will update this review as I'm concerned if it's this bad in week one it will not last.

Pro's and Con's...

Pro's:
- Price
- Basic black, not stylish but doesn't scream "cheap"... just looks like a basic laptop
- Great screen - bright, good resolution
- Fast enough for word processing and internet surfing. This is obviously not a gaming computer.
- Small profile a/c adapter brick, one piece
- NO bloatware preinstalled.... no "Click on this for Ebay" links or trial versions of bad virus software
- Really fast boot... 2-4 seconds
- Windows 8 not so bad once you install free utility called "Classic Shell" which makes start button etc work like Windows 7
- Major price war going on with this computer, so you will get a good deal
- USB ports, one of which is 3.0, also HDMI out and ethernet connections. Everything you could need.
- DVD player / writer, works well... still need one of these.

Con's:

- Touchpad sensitivity.... way too sensitive and I've searched all the ASUS gesture configurations and there seems to be NO adjustment for sensitivity. Google ASUS touchpad sensitivity and there are major threads on this so clearly a significant issue that ASUS is not effectively addressing.
- Keyboard. Exceedingly cheap. OMG. As I type this it sounds like a rock rolling around on a dashboard of a car as you drive it. The whole thing shakes and shimmies. I think I can live with this but will update this review if I can't. Try it out at local store first if you can.

For me, the pro's outweigh the con's, with a lingering concern about the keyboard. If there is interest, I will update this review as I use this system more, but overall I think it's a good one and I will end up keeping it.

Hope this helps!

UPDATE ONE YEAR LATER:
This laptop has not been a great purchase for us. It appears it has been replaced with a newer model so perhaps that one is better, but the touchpad has been terrible on this one -- very unreliable even with driver updates etc.... and even though I've kept it virus-free, the computer has slowed down considerably with a frequent "spinning blue circle" as the computer struggles to process the most basic of tasks. So this goes into the "regretted purchase" category for me -- I won't purchase another ASUS after this experience. Meanwhile my 2 year old Chromebook is still going strong and I love it.... (using it right now to write this review!)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2014 3:20:31 PM PDT
ASUS Support says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Dear Valued Customer,

It's great to know that you find the product as an excellent entry-level laptop. Should you need further assistance, please email me at cl-rodel@asus.com and write down service# N140834098 on the subject line.

Thank you for choosing an ASUS product.

Regards,

Rodel
ASUS Customer Loyalty

Posted on Dec 8, 2014 6:12:56 PM PST
Thanks for your review. I am looking for the model with the DVD player. Which supplier sent the one to you without the DVD player? I want to order from the correct supplier. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2014 6:18:29 PM PST
Goldengate says:
Seller was "Tech Hunter"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2014 6:34:55 PM PST
Thanks so much!
Which seller sent you the correct one? The tech specs make me a little nervous because it's not specified that there is a DVD player. But the Q&A's and reviews mention one. I want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2014 6:48:03 PM PST
Goldengate says:
I ended up getting mine at Best Buy as I couldn't wait, and Amazon was out of stock at the time. It appears there is a newer version of this same laptop so be sure you check that one out... and good news, that one IS sold by Amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2014 7:07:10 PM PST
Unfortunately, the newer version one specifically states there is no DVD player. I would love to get it from Best Buy, but they are also sold out of X551MAV-RCLN06, the one with the DVD drive. This is a gift for my granddaughter, so I don't want to order it and then have to return it to get the right one. I don't think I have several shipped to me before Christmas. To be honest, I would rather get the computer from a site with a brick and mortar store in case there are any problems with the computer. I will continue to look. Thanks again for your help!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Goldengate
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: San Francisco, where else?

Top Reviewer Ranking: 244