3.0 out of 5 stars Quirky little camera!, May 22, 2013
This review is from: Sony DSC-WX300/B 18.2 MP Digital Camera with 20x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Black) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The quest to find the perfect compact digital camera which takes excellent Photos and 1080p videos at the same time is no easy matter. I have tried various models from various manufacturers (primarily Canon & Sony) each one seems to contradict each other. While one model impresses you with Photo quality but fails miserably in video. There is always one thing or the other that disappoints me. May be it's me or I am too picky when it comes to quality or my expectations are too much to ask for in this price range & form factor.

My search for sub-compact cameras is still on and I am yet to find the perfect sub compact camera. Make no mistake, this camera takes very good pictures for a Point & Shoot form factor camera which is easy to carry & Lasts all day without having to worry about recharging the battery. With an 18.2 megapixel packed into this tiny body and SONY's `Exmor R CMOS' sensor and 20x optical zoom lens (35mm equivalent of 25-500mm) The Zoom is impressive for this small size form factor and can be extended further to 40x with Clear Image Zoom (Digital Zoom). There is also `Optical SteadyShot' feature to reduce blur when shooting handheld and you can also shoot at 10 fps which tells me this camera has speed and potential.

In the real world tests using this camera I find some strange design quirkiness which I need to learn to overcome. Firstly you will notice the shutter button which is placed oddly from the side and the select dial there instead. 99% of the time my finger goes to that dial to realize that I was pressing in the wrong region.

The extended lens assembly and the placement of flash on the body of the camera do create shadows on the subject especially when you are taking close-ups or macro shots. This problem is prevalent in most cameras with extended zoom lens. There is no cure for this bug. The only workaround is to disable flash and manually illuminate the subject and adjust exposure settings to compensate for the need of flash.

Thankfully, this camera does have very good low light performance for compact P&S. I did find most of my photos come out clear and sharp even when I disable flash. But you will have to tweak the settings and adjust the exposure manually to achieve the desired results. Superior Auto will take multiple shots and superimpose them to achieve the desired exposure but for better control manual is best.

`Background de-focus' to make it look like a shot taken from`High end' DSLR is a cool feature indeed and I am pleased to see SONY has included a dedicated option on the dial for this. I love this feature and tend to use it a lot with impressive results.

The video results are very good. It has the capability to record in `AVCHD' as well as `MP4' file formats. `MP4' will be useful for sharing on YouTube or other social media sites without any additional need for software conversion. The zoom while you take video is smooth and very steady and results are impressive.

Wi-Fi implementation is something I wished was pretty straightforward but it is not. All I wanted was this camera to have the capability to transfer photos to my NAS directly without having to connect this to my PC to download photos. But the process is cumbersome. In the end I gave up on using Wi-Fi on this camera. It is good to know it is there but not very practical to use.

There is app to control the camera using Wi-Fi and also view pictures on your Smartphone or tablet but again for me that did not appeal me yet. When I am at home I prefer to watch it on my TV and this camera does output on HDMI with full glory. It also has the capability to push pictures to your HDTV wirelessly but I could not get that to work because my TV is not a SMART TV.

There are plethora of features on this camera that will keep one busy for a long time experimenting it one by one but the basic features presently attempted has convinced me that despite the above mentioned quirkiness it does take good photos and videos but my quest to find the perfect subcompact camera is still not over.

PROS
[+] Very small body with impressive features
[+] Takes very good pictures and video
[+] Super battery life
[+] Large easy to view LCD
[+] 20x optical zoom for a sub compact camera
[+] Fast auto focus system

CONS
[-] Oddly placed shutter button location
[-] Large Zoom Lens & Flash placement causes shadows on close-up shots
[-] Still images are noisy when taken simultaneously with video
[-] Odd location for HDMI output port
[-] Flimsy door for Multi function port (For charging battery)
[-] Looks rectangular box shaped wished it had some contour for better hold feeling.

Bottom-line:
------------
For the price you pay it does give you good results. It does take good video so you can skip carrying a bulky camcorder. The photo quality is very good with good color balance & exposure. There is some quirkiness that one needs to learn to overcome especially the placement of the shutter button.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 22, 2013 4:12:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2013 5:53:19 AM PDT
I tried this for a few minutes at a local store, and I loved everything I could see in such a short time, but I personally am worried that if the WiFi is really a glitch, Sony might simply introduce the WX310 and orphan the 300....
Will continue to use my SX260 which is a real tank and still can fit in the pocket of casual pants, and has wonderful, adjustable output flash with no shadowing.
If an update solves the WiFi process into something more dependable, maybe then I buy, for I REALLY like the mini size and 20x zoom......

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2013 8:42:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2013 8:54:21 AM PDT
rbhatta says:
Thanks for commenting your thoughts on this review. While it still remains cumbersome to transfer files to a windows based PC or NAS on your Wi-Fi network as it involves downloading a rather large windows application known as 'Play memories Home' which is buggy at best as it does not seem to install the needed drivers for the MTP device properly.

Here is the link to download Play Memories Home software for PC
www.sony.net/pm

Make sure that your camera's USB mode of operation is set to "USB Mass Storage" and disable MTP mode then Play memories will prompt (Only once) that the attached camera is capable of Wi-Fi and if you would like to configure a relationship with this PC to transfer files remotely using Wi-Fi

Transfer of files in this fashion to PC is excruciatingly slow and that is why I gave up on using Wi-Fi as mentioned in my review All I wanted was the camera's Wi-Fi ability to send files to my NAS without the use of a PC but currently that is not possible. It should have that built-in capability to mount a 'SMB' or 'NFS' share on your Wi-Fi network and push files. IMHO Technologically feasible but not seen implemented yet.

On the positive sides of things:

I must agree the 'Wi-Fi' direct works on smartphones or tablets just fine. You need to download an APP for that.

Here is that link: ( for Android tablets)

Here is that link: ( for Apple IOS tablets like iPad)

Once you have installed the app on the tablet you can then view or transfer files from the camera wireless using 'Wi-Fi' direct feature. You can either send an individual photos or bulk photos from the camera taken on a specific date to your tablet or smartphone using the mobile app.

There are also options to 'size' down the photos to fit the tablet or smartphones resolution needs or send the photos in full resolution. When using Wi-Fi direct there is no need to configure your SSID or input complex passwords using the clumsy input method on the camera. It will setup a 'Wi-Fi direct' connection and a pairing password will be displayed on the camera's LCD screen . You take that password and input that 'pairing password' on your smartphone or tablet once to establish a relationship with your tablet or smartphone and you are done.

Transferring of files using Wi-Fi direct method seems fast and gives the ability to view photos on your tablet with ease.

The app is basic but gets the job done and makes you feel better knowing you could use the Wi-Fi feature on this camera.

I hope this helps you in some way or the other.

Cheers!

Rbhatta

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 5:56:54 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 21, 2014 5:39:50 PM PST]

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 10:52:15 AM PDT
generic says:
appreciate your review because you and i are on the identical quest for the highest quality pocketable camera; preferably an inch or less in thickness. after months of indecision, i just got the canon s110. it's ok, but thicker than i would like, and with surprisingly limited menu options. no supermacro, and the macro in odd and difficult to use. low light is pretty good, and i like that when noise is present it has a grainy film-like look. but overall, i wish i had waited and continued my search.

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 11:17:44 PM PDT
I had no problem hooking up to wi fi. Was pretty simple if you ask me.

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 4:47:11 AM PDT
t0m says:
had this sony since nov 13' - shoot every day - best little one i have ever used and i have had them all. i paid under 200 for the total pkg at best buy - got lucky - returned a samsung that was not the quality of my tv's. this little sony will go anywhere and never take a bad photo.

Posted on Jun 5, 2014 10:42:16 AM PDT
PK says:
I really like this little camera, but I agree with the location of the shutter button. I don't know how many times I turned the camera off instead of taking the photo.
I also have some trouble with the door to the charging port. It is rather difficult to insert the cord.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›