4.0 out of 5 stars WELL worth the money! A few things I did note., March 15, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV & Episodes from Liberty City: The Complete Edition (Video Game)
I finally got a PS3 a few months ago and knew from the hype this was a game to get - no disappointments here. And with the other two games included in the pack (you load the game and the first menu you get to is which game you want to play) it's well worth the money.

The game is obviously good enough (just look at the reviews - like GTA: SA, it's an open world where you can drive around and do what you want) that I figure I'll put down a few minor things that were of note for me personally (may be different for others).

I did set my controls (as is an easy option to do) to the "classic" setting, where 'X' is accelerate, square is break, circle is e-brake, etc., since I found immediately I just could not get down using the top R and L buttons to drive.

For me, the camera view gets frankly really irritating at times when you're driving - it doesn't quickly center itself, and you have to double-tap I think select or some other button to get it to do so. So when you're, say, in the middle of a mission and a guy you're chasing hangs a hard right, sometimes it's hard to have the proper depth perception to be able to follow him properly until you're able to get around the corner. You may end up hitting a parked car, for instance.

I did miss the "car customization" shops GTA: SA had. Also there are three different clothing shops total, and the area comparable to Manhattan and Times Square pretty much just looked nice but there wasn't much you could do other than drive around it. I mean San Andreas had little hidden spots where you could play basketball, more obvious spots where you could gamble in casinos, and was massive enough you had to fly to get places faster, for better or worse. It was those small little things where you could interact with that blew me away in GTA: SA but where there aren't as much in this game.

You can visit strip clubs, bars, a comedy show, and play pool though. It's kind of like they got rid of the tiny little intricacies and hidden treasures and turned them into fewer but more grand of activities, which I guess showcases the power of the PS3 more, but at the expense of tiny little nuanced aspects. There are some amazing-for-being-in-a-video-game tv episodes you can watch, and the internet feature was somewhat cool. I also do like the taxi option of being able to get around much much quicker. That was nice.

One thing of note is if you want to explore the map, as you obviously should, you will want to go to the cell phone and turn the missions off, otherwise you will continue getting inundated with phone calls. I don't like talking nonstop on my cell phone in real life, so it's even more irritating to be trying to do something and get calls from random characters wanting to yak - and if you dare ignore the call, then you lose respect points.

Frankly I have not even gotten to the other two "Grand Theft Auto filler games" as I think of the smaller games released between GTA: San Andreas and GTA4, and these two, but I imagine they're the standard fare: more linear and smaller than the main game, but still enjoyable in their own right.

So those are not even necessarily CONS as much as just things I noted for myself slightly irked me. But all-in-all, still an amazing game. Maybe not quite as all-around perfect as San Andreas, but still amazing.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 7, 2012 4:49:14 AM PDT
Hey, great review. Just picked this up again after getting rid of it a while back and I'm really enjoying it.

One thing that might explain the differences between GTA:SA and GTA IV as far as the "nuances" you were missing is the fact that GTA IV was the first PS3 Grand Theft Auto; Rockstar had already released GTAIII and Vice City prior to SA, so they already had the foundations of a game from which to work. This freed them up to include a bunch of little things that are missing from GTA IV. After playing tons of games released after GTA IV, I am even more amazed at how polished a game it is.

Stay tuned for GTA V. It'll probably have a lot more to do outside of the core of the game.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›