2.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Previous Editions, June 6, 2010
This review is from: Garmin zumo 220 3.5-Inch Bluetooth Motorcycle GPS Navigator (Electronics)
I bought this to replace a Zumo 450 that was badly flawed from the day I got it. I annoyed me to have to spend so much money to replace something a year and half old, but I needed it desperately.

Cons

--The screen is really small
--Unlike previous generations, the controls are all touch screen. I liked the real buttons on the 450
--There is only one view in the trip computer. I liked the old one with the speed displayed largely in the middle
--MapSource is still pathetic. Transferring routes to the device is very slow and difficult. You have to cross check every route at large detail to find out if you did something like put a waypoint on the wrong side of a multiple lane road (which will lead MapSource to route you off the interstate at the next exit and go back to pick up that waypoint, then get you back on your desired route). Also, it is vital to set the route recalculation on manual or MapSource will occasionally decide to play practical jokes like routing you on dirt logging roads.
--Getting from menu to menu is more complex. There were times I had to hit "back" 3 or 4 times to return to the map

Pros

--Much faster to react and calculate than the 450
--Instant on
--The display, while small, is sharp
--Like the speed limit display on the side of the map
--You are able to decide which information shows at the bottom corner of the map from about 10 different things (arrival time, distance to destination, average speed, etc)
--The 220 comes with a car mount and charger and these were additional with the 450

Unlike the 450, the 220 does not have a locking screw to connect it to the RAM mount. I miss this because I used to feel comfortable running in for a coffee break with the device left mounted. The 220 is removed with only a flip lever, so I have to disconnect it and put it in my sidebags or pockets every time I leave the bike.

Unlike the 450, the 220 comes with bluetooth but that is sort of irrelevant to me.

The 220 uses a micro SD card instead of a regular one. These tiny little boogers are hard to install.

Of course, the big question is whether a Zumo is worth twice the cost of a Nuvi with similar features. I rode 920 miles in the two days after my Zumo arrived and hit some rain, so it was really nice to not have to stop and put a baggie over it.

After several years of use, I downgraded my rating of this for one reason: the Base Camp mapping software is the most bizarrely bad software I have used in decades. I'm convinced Garmin's software engineers designed it as a practical joke on the company's customers. Everything about it is worse that the mediocre MapSource that it replaced.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2010 7:15:20 AM PDT
Steven Metz says:
After using this for a few months I would NOT recommend it. Garmin seems to have serious quality control problems. I bought this to replace a Zumo 450 that went bad after a year and half. Within a few months, the 220 would not boot and Garmin had me send it to them for warranty service. They replaced it with a new one. It is defective--it corrupts custom routes (something that unfortunately I didn't notice until I was 100 miles into a two day trip). I assume Garmin will also replace this one, but three units in four months is not the sign of a company I'd recommend.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2010 7:11:35 AM PDT
JonW9 says:
Your experience is disappointing. I have had three defective Zumo 450's from Garmin so far, and was hoping the 220 might be a much better option.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 5:49:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2011 5:50:24 PM PDT
Jim Locher says:
I stopped using MapSource to make routes when I found RideWithGPS.com.
You just have to save your routes to RwG, then 'export gpx route' to your PC and then copy to the GPS unit.

Posted on May 25, 2012 3:43:56 AM PDT
Steven Metz says:
I'm now dealing with my fourth repair or replacement on the Zumo 220. It's out of warranty, so I have to pay. I have yet to have a Zumo go an entire year without malfunctioning. This confirms my earlier comment about Garmin's serious quality control problems.

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 8:33:30 AM PDT
Steven Metz says:
Having had the Zumo for a couple of years, I would downgrade my rating significantly not because of the device itself, but because of Garmin's bizarrely bad mapping software. My primary use of the device is to design routes on the computer, upload them, then ride them. Garmin's original mapping software--MapSource--was surprisingly mediocre. It has since been replaced by Base Camp which is so unconscionably bad that I have to think Garmin's software engineers used it to play a practical joke on the company's customers. For starters, every single common function is significantly more complicated than with MapSource, with no value added. Doing a simple thing like deleting a wapoint from a route when from a single click and delete to a multistep process. Second, the interface between the software and the device is incompetently designed. It normally takes 3 to 5 tries to get a route to upload to the device without changing it. Third, in the vast majority of cases on long ride, the route will become corrupted at some point. If the route is long, the device does not have enough memory to reload it. (I have contacted Garmin's tech support about all of these issues and they have no solution. I assume that to Garmin's software engineers, having a device constantly alter a route the user designed and then corrupting it is a feature, not a bug).

I am aghast that a company like Garmin would produce a software package this bad. When it comes time to replace my Zumo, there is zero chance that I will buy another Garmin unless the company totally revamps its mapping software.

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 4:46:38 AM PDT
Steven Metz says:
The Zumo is on the fritz again and Garmin has kindly offered to make what will be the FIFTH replacement in less than three years for a discount. No thanks--I'm looking for another brand with more than Garmin's POS quality level.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›