Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Beauty, Unadorned and Without Artifice, November 23, 2009
This review is from: I Dreamed A Dream (Audio CD)
I Dreamed A Dream, Susan Boyle's debut album, is a showcase for her crystal clear voice, untouched by the technological gimmicks on which so many singers rely. The production is a spare canvas against which her pure, gorgeous vocals are displayed to wonderful effect. The result is an album that owes its power solely to Boyle's self-assured artistry.

In the title track, I Dreamed A Dream, Boyle gives a far different interpretation from her iconic performance on Britain's Got Talent. In her audition, she gave a rendition that was more akin to a soaring anthem than a downtrodden woman's rueful rumination on a ruined life. Here, however, Boyle gives the song a more nuanced interpretation that reflects the despair of dreams unfulfilled and a life shattered by loss. Her vocals are just as assured as in her first performance of the song, yet deeper here and more passionate.

Some of the song choices which may have seemed odd at first glance turned out to have been inspired. The selection of the Rolling Stones' 1971 classic, Wild Horses, must have struck many as a bizarre decision doomed to failure. As listeners know well by now, Boyle, aided by Steve Mac's spartan production, reworked the song into a haunting paean to love and loss. Another seemingly off-the-wall choice was Daydream Believer, first recorded by the Monkees. Here, the sprightly, upbeat tune is transformed by Boyle's gentle, lyrical delivery into a dreamy and contemplative ballad. This, in my opinion, is the track that serves as the best showcase for her talents as her clear, lovely vocals float above the simple piano accompaniment. The effect is intimate, as if we are listening in on the singer's reverie.

Boyle's new rendition of Cry Me A River is stronger and more bitter than the delicate, gentle version she recorded in 1999. While never reaching the furious depths of some other versions of the song, she still conveys the anger of a woman scorned. You'll See is also a delight as Boyle invests Madonna's anthem with her personal pain and determination.

Overall, this is a beautiful album with every track a gem. Fans of Susan Boyle and of good music in general will love her debut effort.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2009 8:45:38 AM PST
Thank you Xeno for your wonderful review. What a gift from God she is. I just heard "Wild Horses" this morning for the first time, and I sat here with chills from head to toe, and even shed a few tears. To hear her sing is to hear the voice of an Angel. I have never been so happy for any person as I am for her, and I truly cannot wait until she goes on tour. I don't care what the cost of the tickets are... I will be at the front of the line to pick the most acoustically perfect seat in the arena. I want to feel the tidal wave hit me!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2009 12:52:26 PM PST
Donna says:
How right you are! I get chills every time I hear her. I think she could song "I'm A Little Teapot" and give me chills! HAHAHA! God bless her, may she know wealth, health and happiness for the rest of her days, and may she feel her beloved mother shining down on her for above, saying, "See Susan, I always told you that you were special!"

Posted on Nov 23, 2009 3:29:40 PM PST
Thanks for a very informative review. So glad you said it so well since I can't. As we now know, Susan has both a voice that is suitable for the stage and for the recording studio. Was expecting the same powerful presentation as we heard in her competition performances. Instead got an intimate, soul reaching presentation that still triggers the emotions of the stage presentations. What is nice about this album is that one can really appreciate the way she uses her voice, weaving it around the words and music.

Posted on Nov 24, 2009 7:50:44 PM PST
Julie B says:

Posted on Nov 24, 2009 8:14:24 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 25, 2009 11:35:02 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 25, 2009 3:09:29 AM PST
There are no more words in the English language to describe the Susan Boyle phenomenon. I am primarily a listener of classical music who got caught up in The Movement. I am glad that I gave in against my better "judgment". This is, by far, the best pop music album of the year 2009. Bar none. Thank you, Susan Boyle, for making my day, for making me cry, and for making me believe that, at least in your case, being a celebrity is not synonymous with being shallow, arrogant, talent-less, and stupid. You are in a class of your own.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2009 3:12:22 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 25, 2009 3:20:46 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2009 3:14:01 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 25, 2009 3:16:02 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 25, 2009 2:59:12 PM PST
I got my copy today, and I agree with you, it is beautiful.

Posted on Nov 29, 2009 8:04:52 PM PST
E.A. R.S. says:
You said, perfectly, what I thought. This is one thoroughly beautiful record of an amazin voice.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›