5.0 out of 5 stars I like it MUCH better than the Canon Powershot, July 24, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC FH-8 16.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black) (Electronics)
This review will not focus on the quality of the photos - I am NOT a photography expert, and I'm okay with that. I'm just an average guy who wants a small camera that fits in my pocket and takes decent photos wherever I may be. The main reason I was looking for a new camera is because my previous camera (Canon PowerShot SD1300IS) stopped working consistently, and it had some usability issues that really got on my nerves.

Again, I am NOT an expert, just trying to offer my opinion as an average everyday user. As far as I'm concerned, most compact point & shoot cameras take decent photos, or at least I can't tell a huge difference between them.

OVERALL: I've only had it a week, but I really like this camera so far. The main reasons are some HUGE design/usability differences between the Panasonic Lumix and the Canon ELPH camera families, which are detailed below.

- power switch - I really like that this camera has a SWITCH instead of a button. Here's what I wrote in the review for the Canon SD1300IS - "as some people have already mentioned, the on/off button is WAY too easy to accidentally push. For anybody like me who wants a subcompact camera specifically for the ease of carrying it around (in their hip or jacket pocket), this is a HUGE annoyance - almost reason enough to look for a different camera. I am constantly afraid that I will continue to accidentally push the ON button while it's in my pocket and damage the lens motor. I purchased this as a replacement for a broken SD1200, and I never had this problem with that model."
- battery release door - I like that the battery release door has a locking switch. To open the battery release door on the Canon SD1300IS, you slide the entire door laterally. I didn't realize this was a problem until recently, when I had problems turning the camera on. Apparently, the wear and tear has messed up the sensor that indicates the door is closed - so now I have to firmly squeeze the door inward while holding it, otherwise the camera won't turn on.
- separate picture/video button - I really like that these are SEPARATE buttons. Everybody knows that sometimes speed is of the essence when trying to capture a moment. With my Canon, I can't tell you how many times I forgot to switch the slide from video to photo, tried to take a photo, then realized it was still in video mode, and before I was able to switch it back to photo mode, the moment had passed. VERY FRUSTRATING! But the Panasonic's separate buttons prevents this from ever being a problem again.

- panoramic setting - apparently this is a feature in most other cameras, but not with the Canon - but I really like the automatic panorama photo feature! great for beach and scenery pics.

So for anybody with the same complaints about the Canon Powershot ELPH models that I detailed above, this camera definitely addresses those. I have no idea which camera takes better quality photos but I am not able to tell the difference.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]