Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

5.0 out of 5 stars You will need Ambien to be able to sleep after this one..., May 12, 2009
This review is from: One Second After (Hardcover)
I have read serial killer books, grisly murder books, but this was hands down the scariest book I have ever read. A book that caused me to lose sleep and kept me thinking long after I was finished reading.

The book follows what happens to an American community after and EMP attack is visited on our country. EMP occurs when a nuclear bomb is detonated above the atmosphere, causing every single thing in it's range containing anything electronic to fail. Cars, planes, pacemakers, electricity, you name it, it's gone forever. The country is immediately plunged into the dark ages, the population far too large to be supported by 18th century technology. Different parts of the country fare better or worse depending on their locations to urban areas. Gangs roam the land, bringing death and destruction to any remaining survivors.

What is frightening about this book is the fact that it is a very real possibility. The government is currently studying EMP attacks, as it is probably a more real threat than the thermonuclear attack we have always been raised to fear. If you ever had a thought of having your home prepared for a disaster, you will be propelled into action after reading the horrors entailed here for anyone who does not.

The day after reading I could not help but realize how fully dependent we are on electronics and technology. I found myself cataloging each thing I did during the day. How long can you last with the food in your pantry and maybe a week's worth of water before it becomes contaminated and cholera, dysentery, and thyphoid break out?

You may not have ever imagined America as a third-world country. This book will force you to.

By the way, if you have a project due or deadline, finish it before you pick this book up. It sucks you right in and you are compelled to finish it instead of doing anything else. I really came to love and care about the characters. It was hard to "watch" as the worst befell them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 29, 2012 3:56:55 AM PDT
D. Merullo says:
Thank you! Getting this for me and for my husband who scoffs at doomsday stuff. Thinks im a nutty mama prepper!

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 12:45:45 PM PST
John Brush says:
You are quite right. My exact feeling, scariest book I've ever read. I just hope the folks wake up in time!

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 7:44:50 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Scary beyond words. I bought the paperback book over 2 years ago and still have dreams and daytime thoughts of the possibility of this happening. Lost sleep is a by product of this book. First because you won't want to put it down and secondly because if this doesn't make you think or prepare for a disaster whether it be a storm or something else you are only kidding yourself.

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 6:34:43 PM PDT
Jeremy P says:
I just finished the book and it had an eerie realism to it. I usually scoff at the "survivalists" that I cross paths with and/or see on television, talk radio, etc, but realistically speaking their in a better mode/position of survival versus myself. This book cracks open my blinders. Good read.

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 11:02:36 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 19, 2014 1:42:09 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2014 12:36:59 PM PDT
aes74 says:
I hope you're right so I can sleep better at night. Still a good read, though!

Posted on Jul 18, 2014 5:41:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2015 5:26:39 PM PDT
If you want chilling and creepy all rolled up into one book, read the Harbinger The Harbinger: The Ancient Mystery That Holds the Secret of America's Future. Especially after reading this book, One Second After, the chill factor is intensified.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2014 6:29:07 PM PDT
aes74 says:
I will have to look into it!

Posted on Aug 22, 2015 6:07:42 PM PDT
Cellblock776 says:
I had nightmares for a week after reading this novel. I was dreaming about people starving to death and eating their pets and having to kill and eat my pets as I got sicker from running out of my prescription meds.

Posted on Mar 3, 2016 10:34:06 PM PST
Debbie says:
I couldn't put it down either, read till 2am and then couldn't sleep thinking about it, got back up and finished it. Stayed on my mind for two days. It's because you know it could happen and it's scary how quickly our humanity goes out the window. Now i understand why some preppers are putting together family compounds for people to come to if SHTF. Think I'll add a little more to my small stock pile.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›