4,515 of 4,713 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Do you just want to read a book?? Than this is the kindle for you!, September 25, 2012
This review is from: Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Electronics)
I have owned a Kindle for several years now. I have had the 2nd generation Kindle and I have had the Kindle Keyboard. When my mom expressed interest in getting a Kindle I decided to give her my Kindle Keyboard because she doesnt have Wifi in her house and my older Kindle Keyboard had 3G, which is what she needed. And I decided to buy the Basic Kindle for myself because (1) I didnt want to wait for the Paperwhite to come out and (2) I just needed Wifi and (3)and most importantly I JUST WANT TO READ A BOOK, not listen to text-to-speach, or go shopping on Amazon, or listen to music, etc. All I want to do is read a book...thats it! This Kindle is perfect for that. Its smaller and lighter, the pages turn faster than the Keyboard version, it basically has everything I need to download a book and read a book with a much better price than the Paperwhite or Keyboard. Yes, you have to navigate through the keyboard on this kindle with a 5-way controller, but I rarely use the keyboard anyway. To download a book, I just search and buy books on my computer and send them to my Kindle...which is much quicker no matter what version of Kindle you have. So if you dont need, want, or use all the extras then I would definitely recommend the Basic Kindle for $69 with special offers, because who really pays attention to the screen savers anyway.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 9:10:12 PM PST
Brooke says:
This is exactly me. I bought my Kindle when it was $79 around a year ago. I didn't want a Fire or anything like a tablet because there would be no way I could stare at a bright screen for that long. I only needed Wifi to get my books delivered from the computer. People complain about how it doesn't have a keyboard but I don't need it that much anyway, I don't want to listen to books, or music. Just read books. I also could never give up my Kindle for the Paperwhite or anything else because I LOVE my page turners on the side. No new Kindle has the page turners on the side. I love my Kindle and it's perfect for everything I need it for, and it should be used for. READING. :D

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2013 7:28:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2013 7:40:04 PM PDT
Hi Brooke, I have a Kindle, but i don't know if it needs an ISP (connection software). I don't have an internet connection on my Kindle. ???!!! I want to read ebooks a lot but don't know how I can get books transferred to the Kindle ----from my laptop. Can You HELP ? me Eddie If this subject is too "far" off the subject of your POST please forget it. thank you

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2013 7:45:48 AM PDT
Sharyn says:
Hi Eddie,
All you have to do is go to amazon.com pick a book (kindle version) and click (send to my kindle) as soon as you pay for it...It appears in your kindle. But you HAVE to have some type of internet connection for this. Maybe find a coffee shop with free wifi?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2013 7:24:03 PM PDT
Mike The Guy says:
Hey Ediie, your Kindle has the ability to connect to wireless internet built in. you do need to connect it to your home wifi. If you do not have wifi at home then as Sharyn says you will need to fine a free wifi hot spot and connect to that. Hope this helps!

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 9:08:06 PM PDT
Hey there,

Do you know if it is possible to download PDFs and documents with this Kindle over a WiFi connection? I'm a creative writing student and I get a lot of assigned reading that involves downloading and printing PDFs. I'm trying to decide if this is the Kindle for me. I don't want anything other than a book and text file reader. Any information you could offer would help.

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 8:52:21 AM PDT
Joy says:
That is so true...i remember when i got my first kindle, people were like "get-an-ipad, you can do a lot of things there" - they added everything except reading a book!!! I told them look people i want to read a book, not "do a lot of things" with my kindle. 4 years down the line, still am a big fan of kindle ... and this product delivers :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2013 7:22:37 AM PDT
S. Bandy says:
Yes, there is a way to email the files to your kindle. Personally, I just transfer everything via USB cord b/c it's much easier if you have tons of documents. I bought my Kindle specifically to use for class because I hated spending hours at my computer to complete my pdf readings. It takes some getting used to, but it's possible. Is it the best? Questionable. It might be easier with a touch screen if you are able to move the pdf around after you increase the magnification. In my experience though, there were only a few documents that were hard to read after you change from vertical to landscape orientation.

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 4:46:53 PM PST
Text to speech? Are you sure you are reviewing the correct Kindle? The newer Kindle (including the Kindle 4 and Paperwhite (old and new version included) do not offer any audio. The Kindle 3/key board, Kindle Touch and Kindle DX offers experimental text to speech, but Amazon long did away with that feature with all but the Kindle Fires OverA year ago...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2013 6:01:21 AM PST
Tricia L says:
At the time I wrote this review (which was over a year ago) the Kindle Paperwhite was just getting ready to be released. I didnt realize that it didnt have text to speech on there. But regardless, I was just pointing out that I myself didnt need all the extra features that come with the other kindles, just the very basic kindle works for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2013 1:37:31 PM PST
David E says:
This was a helpful review,thinking of doing the same thing. When you transferred to your mother did you de-register it from your account and register with your mother's account? Did 3G continue to work with new registered user?
thank you.