Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Best "Bang for the Buck" in Comcast compatible cable modems., May 3, 2012
This review is from: Zoom Cable Modem, 8X4, Model 5341J, 343 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 Certified by Comcast XFINITY, Time Warner Cable, Cox, Bright House, Cable One and More (Personal Computers)
I used this to replace an old Docsis 2.0 Motorola SBG900.

The SBG900 worked well enough until I purchased a Logitech Revue, which has issues with the SBG900, such as dropping connections which required a reboot of the router, among other things.

After doing my research, I found that the Zoom 5341J was Comcast compatible and capable of connecting to 8 download channels and 4 upload channels, compared to the much more common 4Down x 4Up configuration. Keep in mind that the Zoom 5341(with no J at the end) is a 4x4 configuration.

The Zoom 5341 is a modem only, not having a wireless router embedded like the SBG900, but I already had a Linksys WRT54G router, which I had already pulled out to try and rectify my problems with the Logitech Revue. The SBG900 kept dropping the wired connection to the Linksys though... The Zoom 5350 is compatible with Comcast and has the same specs as the 5341J, but also has a wireless router and 4 wired ports as well. I considered it, but decided to go with seperate pieces for modem and router duty.

The evening that the Zoom 5341J arrived, I installed it in place of the SBG900, and plugged my laptop in. Once it had established a connection, the Comcast device activation page came up in my browser, and I was able to switch the activation from the SBG900 to the Zoom 5341J in minutes, with no need for phone calls to support.

The configuration of the Zoom 5341J is very simple, and I made no changes to the default configuration. I did check the connections, and found that I had 8 download connections and 2 upload connections. It appears that Comcast in my area will only provide 2 upload connections.

I plugged the Linksys WRT54G in and had WiFi a minute later. I found average speeds to be about the same as before, but peak speeds to be about 30% faster, and this resulted in snappier browser performance, and quicker starting of streaming video. I also have found that the connection is more robust, as I have not been getting the rebuffering and disconnects streaming video that I was getting with the SBG900.

My problems with the Logitech Revue have also been solved, and the Zoom 5341J has not been dropping the wired connection to the Linksys WRT54G. That, combined with the performance enhancements, has left me very happy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2015 4:19:08 AM PDT
Tony says:
i have the 5341J modem, does it work with comcast 150 or 250 extreme?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2015 8:02:13 AM PDT
According to mydeviceinfo dot comcast dot net, the 5341J modem is compatible with Extreme 150, but not 250.

If I needed the Extreme 250, I'd go with an ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 1:11:10 PM PDT
FcoZ says:
Thank you for your review. Can you tell me how do you check how many download/upload connections you have?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2015 3:39:02 PM PDT
From the manual;
1 Disconnect the coaxial cable from the back of the cable modem.
2 Wait until the Online LED turns off.
3 Disconnect whatever was plugged into the Ethernet port of your cable modem.
4 Connect a PC directly to the Ethernet port of your cable modem (re-connect your PC if it had previously been connected).
5 Reconnect the coaxial cable TV cable to the back of the cable modem.
6 On your PC, open a browser and type in the address 192.168.100.1 Enter User Name: admin Password: password
7 Now you will see status information about your cable modem and its connection

Posted on Jan 16, 2016 9:19:30 AM PST
sean breadon says:
Can you go into more detail as to how to switch your old modem with the new modem without calling comcast?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2016 8:05:07 AM PST
It's been so long, I don't remember any of the details. You will need to plug an Ethernet cable into the cable modem though when you first start the cable modem after connecting it to the Comcast cable. I believe you need to set the Internet Protocol under Local Area Connection Properties to Obtain an IP address automatically. I don't remember if the Comcast activation came up automatically or if I had to open a browser first.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›