5.0 out of 5 stars 2 things:IPS Picture quality, and Motion Picture Setting..., April 22, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-L47E50 47-Inch 1080p 120Hz Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV (Electronics)
As a programmer and a gamer, I have my share of expensive monitors (just ask my wife!). And the regular LCD TV never satisfy my quality standard; colors are either too cartonish, black is not black, and white is tinted blue. So I have only used plasma as TV. It's warm, have rich real color, it's perfect for movie night, there is no argument there.

So for my second TV, which in my study and music room, I want to try something else, since I keep hearing the LED LCD are the bomb nowaday (even most of them still do not look as life like as good plasma to me), the energy usage is low, thin and light. So I try my first LED LCD with this model after researching the latest 2012 models within my "2nd tv" price range.

Sales person kept pushing LG (got magic wand, apps, thin bezel.....), but for me, IPS is the magic word. For people who do not know what it is just google "IPS panel", if no time, just know this, IPS is supposedly the best panel you can get as LCD panel (I believe all big Apple monitors are IPS, no exception), color is more vivid and the view angle should be a perfect 178.

Got the baby home, set it up, hook up to my 15TB home server w/ HDMI, play some 1080p clips. Wow, it's so clear and real looking, this is some great monitor/TV I told myself. Flipped to the movies folder, open Avatar, wow, so this is 120hz, looking real smooth, real clear.

IN FACT, it's so real and clear, I double check my refresh rate (at 60hz from source) all the codecs. The images looks like a pre-rendered animation, totally flawless. But after the first 5 minutes, it feels kind of weird to me as the movie somehow look much smoother, but "cheaper" at the same time. Then I remember the stuff I heard....soap opera effect.

I never consider my eyes to be sensitive in any case (if anything, years of looking at multi 27" monitor should have desensitized me...), so whenever I heard SOE, I'd just brush it off as some people's sensitive eyes. IT'S NOT, it's very much noticeable to anyone, albeit some people just don't care about it when watching movies in the first place. In 300, all the grains are gone! Now it's really looking like animation, watching them fighting the monsters.

By now, 2 hours after I unpacked it, I'm panicking and start looking at all the menu items. After much google, some site suggested to use Game mode, so the TV wouldn't add additional frames by itself to smooth out the frames. BINGO, the movies are looking absolutely stunning, got the good colors, no bleeding, black is pretty black (not as black as the best plasma...but blacker than most mid price monitors out there, which is a tall order for this size and price). So I open up some calibration graphic test for monitor and tune it abit, I'm pretty much set -- happy.

BTW I have not try any apps in there, but I tested the iphone app remote, works great.

So to sum it up, if you just want picture quality with a good price in a LED LCD, not gimmicks like 3D, apps, hair thin bezel, this is it.

Make sure you understand the usage of GAME MODE, tune the brightness/contrast/color to watch movie, and use all the other ones for TV, personal videos, then it's good. OTOH, if the SOE do not bother you, doesn't matter then. The color and contrast will win you over in no time.

Edit:
Thanks to helpful reply, the setting to turn off the SOE is under Advance Picture->Motion Picture Setting. Good stuff.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 21 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 79 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 23, 2012 7:44:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 7:45:11 PM PDT
The soap opera effect is most likely due to the 'motion picture setting'. I don't like it for live-action movies, but for cartoons/animation it's spectacular. Find it in the 'advanced' picture settings and turn it to 'weak' or 'off'.

Posted on May 6, 2012 8:44:06 PM PDT
Hi C. Tai, you mentioned researching the latest 2012 models. What did you think of the Samsung UN46ES6100? I'm trying to decide between that one and this Panasonic. I will use the Internet capability and I probably will not use it for gaming. Thanks for your time.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 10:26:44 PM PDT
Btbluesky says:
The problem is we cannot really compare the picture quality in B&M store due to the lighting and the crappy source signal(think cable signal in sears), the only way to go by is the true contrast (not dynamic, blinking back light in one area kind...)  and the tech. And for this price and size this is the best to me. If samsung is using IPS panel, I'm pretty sure they'd advertise it in giant fonts. This ine really no matter where you look at it, color do not change, unlike the others u see in costco (i looked). But if 3d and apps are important, then maybe samsung is better.
For pure contrast though, my other plasma still have a slight edge, but really not by much, thats really great for lcd.
Been using it couple weeks, have not regret purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 9:02:32 AM PDT
I just wanted to put in my two cents' here regarding Samsung products. The failure rate is so high on Samsung products that I have vowed to never again get a Samsung. I have had zero luck with Samsung products or with their customer service (no-service). They seem to have flooded the market with products priced lower than competition, but the Samsung products do not last.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 8:42:51 PM PDT
Good point....
Also, when I was in Sears looking at all the models, the sales person kept on pushing samsung and LG. Their new models price changes daily, like 20% within weeks. To me, that means resellers have a rather high margin to be able to play with pricing like this, meaning even if the retail price is the same between samsuing/LG and panasonic, the wholesale prices might not be the same, with samsung/LG being cheaper.

Posted on May 11, 2012 4:55:04 PM PDT
When I look up a product not only do I read the specs provided, I also check out the reviews. I like the way you described the problems you had, then told us what you did about it. This is one of the most helpful reviews I've ever read and I really appreciate the time and effort you put into it.

Thank you!

Posted on May 22, 2012 3:06:56 AM PDT
Thank you for the most helpful review ever!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 12:57:37 PM PDT
ty says:
thanks again for the great review. I absolutely have trouble focusing and get dizzy from soe. Did the reply from the other reader fully solve the soe in advanced picture mode?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 1:11:26 PM PDT
Btbluesky says:
Yes it does. Just turn it to 'off', everything is good then.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 9:12:40 AM PDT
mineswap says:
Been researching to buy a tv for the past 1 month. My only question is, if 120 Hz TVs carry the soap opera effect and we turn them off anyway, Isn't it a better deal to go for the 60 Hz TVs? Please help me out with this!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (613 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $1,199.00