Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 things:IPS Picture quality, and Motion Picture Setting..., April 22, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-L47E50 47-Inch 1080p 120Hz Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV (Electronics)
As a programmer and a gamer, I have my share of expensive monitors (just ask my wife!). And the regular LCD TV never satisfy my quality standard; colors are either too cartonish, black is not black, and white is tinted blue. So I have only used plasma as TV. It's warm, have rich real color, it's perfect for movie night, there is no argument there.

So for my second TV, which in my study and music room, I want to try something else, since I keep hearing the LED LCD are the bomb nowaday (even most of them still do not look as life like as good plasma to me), the energy usage is low, thin and light. So I try my first LED LCD with this model after researching the latest 2012 models within my "2nd tv" price range.

Sales person kept pushing LG (got magic wand, apps, thin bezel.....), but for me, IPS is the magic word. For people who do not know what it is just google "IPS panel", if no time, just know this, IPS is supposedly the best panel you can get as LCD panel (I believe all big Apple monitors are IPS, no exception), color is more vivid and the view angle should be a perfect 178.

Got the baby home, set it up, hook up to my 15TB home server w/ HDMI, play some 1080p clips. Wow, it's so clear and real looking, this is some great monitor/TV I told myself. Flipped to the movies folder, open Avatar, wow, so this is 120hz, looking real smooth, real clear.

IN FACT, it's so real and clear, I double check my refresh rate (at 60hz from source) all the codecs. The images looks like a pre-rendered animation, totally flawless. But after the first 5 minutes, it feels kind of weird to me as the movie somehow look much smoother, but "cheaper" at the same time. Then I remember the stuff I heard....soap opera effect.

I never consider my eyes to be sensitive in any case (if anything, years of looking at multi 27" monitor should have desensitized me...), so whenever I heard SOE, I'd just brush it off as some people's sensitive eyes. IT'S NOT, it's very much noticeable to anyone, albeit some people just don't care about it when watching movies in the first place. In 300, all the grains are gone! Now it's really looking like animation, watching them fighting the monsters.

By now, 2 hours after I unpacked it, I'm panicking and start looking at all the menu items. After much google, some site suggested to use Game mode, so the TV wouldn't add additional frames by itself to smooth out the frames. BINGO, the movies are looking absolutely stunning, got the good colors, no bleeding, black is pretty black (not as black as the best plasma...but blacker than most mid price monitors out there, which is a tall order for this size and price). So I open up some calibration graphic test for monitor and tune it abit, I'm pretty much set -- happy.

BTW I have not try any apps in there, but I tested the iphone app remote, works great.

So to sum it up, if you just want picture quality with a good price in a LED LCD, not gimmicks like 3D, apps, hair thin bezel, this is it.

Make sure you understand the usage of GAME MODE, tune the brightness/contrast/color to watch movie, and use all the other ones for TV, personal videos, then it's good. OTOH, if the SOE do not bother you, doesn't matter then. The color and contrast will win you over in no time.

Edit:
Thanks to helpful reply, the setting to turn off the SOE is under Advance Picture->Motion Picture Setting. Good stuff.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 20 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-30 of 82 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 12:22:18 PM PDT
Don't overthink this decision. Narrow it down to maybe 3 tv's that have what you need/want (i.e. do you really want 3-D or does it not matter to you) and that have good reviews (look at consumer reports, too, as far as reliability ratings -- most libraries have copies of this magazine). Then, shop by price and availability and jump in and get one. You'll probably be happy with whatever you purchase if you do it this way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 10:40:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 10:42:14 AM PDT
Btbluesky says:
It'd be nice to do be able to do that. But fron my experience in researching, magazine can't keep up with latest model refresh. And nowaday, we cannot even trust a good old fashion 'contrast/brightness' number, as all TV have gone dynamic area-specific lighting(on top of true contrast) which render it useless to compare (that 1million to 1 contrast u see....its useless)

The only reason u be happy with whatever u get is because tv gotten better each year, that doesnt mean u get a good deal.

There is a reason we gamer (and apple) pick IPS panel for monitor whenever we can. And lcd tv is just a big monitor with 1920x1080+tuner, so with all things being equal, and i cannot really compare the quality of two tv in person, I can safely say picking the IPS panel one will be a better choice.

Having said that, I still like my plasma the best!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 2:42:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2012 2:50:02 PM PDT
Nadine says:
I'm reading that in a whole lot of reviews (Samsung's don't last) and that's why I won't buy one either. This is our first flat screen purchase and I'm not comfortable at all trying a Samsung at this point.
Thanks for your input

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 2:49:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2012 2:50:28 PM PDT
Nadine says:
Thanks for mentioning this, I'm a gamer so your info was helpful to me

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 3:22:56 PM PDT
Oh, you are so right about Samsung products. And, their customer service is terrible. I know that I avoid Samsung products now.

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 5:28:16 AM PDT
Gabe says:
I can't stand the Soap Opera Effect! Thank you for your detailed review, and the information that there IS a way to turn it off. There is no reason why my 2006 40" Samsung should look so much better (no SOE) than modern TVs. I have no idea why these super high refresh rates have become the norm. It's almost like the manufacturers have run out of ideas, so they keep throwing higher numbers in the box to lure back customers. Some even have 240hz! Why?! Thanks again, and enjoy your set.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 12:36:37 PM PDT
PowerPlug says:
Hi, I bought a TC-55LE54 from Costco earlier this month which was advertised as having the exact same features as TC-L55E50 on the Panasonic website. However, while Panasonic shows that there is a Game Mode for TC-55LE54 on their website, TC-55LE54 actually does not have a Game Mode (confirmed by technical support). There are only 4 picture modes - Standard, Vivid, Cinema and Custom. Apparently, that's the only difference between TC-55LE54 and TC-L55E50. I'm wondering if I can put in the Game Mode parameters into the Custom Mode to achieve the game mode effect. Would someone please post the Game Mode parameters from TC-L55E50?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 8:23:15 AM PDT
Steve says:
Do not buy a Samsung. I have one, and it is the reason I'm looking at this t.v. After a little over 2 years the Samsung is about shot (use google and you will find a bunch of other people out there with a similar experience). I have a Samsung phone that I like and normally I wouldn't swear off a whole company based on one product (the t.v.), but their customer service is so bad I can't imagine ever buying a Samsung product again. I hate to be that critical and definitive towards a company, but the experience with the t.v. has been that bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 9:08:19 AM PDT
I absolutely agree with you about Samsung products and Samsung customer "service."

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 10:40:59 AM PDT
D. Daly says:
"Sales person kept pushing LG (got magic wand, apps, thin bezel.....), but for me, IPS is the magic word."
...Wow. You realize that most LG Panels are IPS panels, right? Panasonic actually gets their 42" and larger IPS panels from LG. What an informed decision you made.