5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it for Netflix streaming and blu-ray playback, gaming is a bonus!, March 16, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony Playstation 3 160GB System (Console)
I just bought the PS3 slim a week before posting this review and I'm extremely happy with it. To be honest, I'm not a gamer and may never buy a game for the PS3, I bought it strictly for its streaming video and blu-ray playback capabilities, in my opinion it is the best.

My first blu-ray player was an early Panasonic 1.0 blu-ray player, it played blu-rays beautifully, when researching it they said it was almost as good as the PS3, at the time the PS3 was the gold standard. I didn't buy a PS3 then because of its price and its original bulk, it would not fit in well into my AV setup. Also, you needed a separate remote for blu-ray/DVD playback if you didn't want to use the controller, the PS3 is not IR capable. I then traded "up" to a Samsung blu-ray player because it offered streaming Netflix capability, I really enjoyed the streaming Netflix, but I noticed that my blu-ray disks didn't look as good as on my old Panasonic and DVD upscaling on the Samsung blu-ray was no where near as good as my old Panasonic, but I really wanted the Neftlix streaming service so I stuck with it.

Since my initial look at the PS3, a lot has changed, first the new slim model, it fits perfectly in my AV setup. Also, Netflix streaming finally came to the PS3, first via software on a disk, now it is totally integrated into the PS3 OS via a firmware update.

I primarily bought my Samsung blu-ray player for its Netflix streaming capability, but I was getting frustrated with the Netflix interface on the Samsung, you could not search or add movies to your Netflix queue directly from the player, plus loading titles from your queue took almost a minute to launch.

Several friends at work have had the PS3 from its beginning and they were always taunting me when new features arrived to the PS3, when they told me about the new Netflix features available on the PS3 I decided to take the plunge. The PS3 was the first platform to get 5.1 surround sound from Netflix streaming, and to date, the only platform to have full 1080p movies via streaming, plus I can search and add movies to my queue directly from the PS3. Moving through my queue on the PS3 is a breeze, on my Samsung, the interface displayed the movies from right to left and left to right. I currently have over 360 movies in my queue, it can take a long time to maneuver through this many titles going left to right or right to left. On the PS3, the titles are tiled 5 or 6 wide, you can move up, down, left or right, when you finally launch a title it is up and playing within a matter of seconds!

What about blu-ray playback on the PS3 slim? It is awesome (video and audio), as good or better than my old Panasonic player I loved so much! DVD up-scaling is also excellent. The thing that really sold me on the PS3 is Sony's commitment to continually improve it and keep it current. Firmware updates over the years have kept PS3 up to date in every respect. One of my co-workers bought the original PS3 the day it was released, it is still going strong 5 years later, actually better and has more features than when he bought it!

Last, but not least, the remote control issue. A few years ago I moved to using Harmony remotes to control all my AV equipment. I have a drawer in my coffee table that has 8 different remotes for all my various equipment, on top of my coffee table I have one Harmony remote that controls all of my equipment perfectly. The new PS3 is still not IR capable, but I bought the Harmony PS3 adapter, this is a bluetooth/IR device that accept commands from your Harmony remote to control the PS3, it took about 10 minutes to set up and works perfectly!

Oh yeah, I hear that the PS3 really does play games, maybe one day?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2011 7:56:21 PM PST
aikanae says:
THANK YOU! I'm looking at PS3 as a media player/streamer as well. I want something that'll play everything, hook up to anything and stream whatever comes along. Will this play discs that I have burned - including avi, DIVX and mkv files? Will it stream those files from an external hard drive on a network? I've never tried a game so I have no idea what this is. What is the remote like?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 12:14:13 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Apr 14, 2012 4:46:56 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 5:35:11 PM PDT
Dave says:
The PS3 is a terrible streamer, and here's why: if you are like me and don't stream very often you will be required to update your firmware, update your Netflix software, and/or update your user contract with Sony - EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU WANT TO USE IT. Approximately once a month you'll have to stop what you're doing and take between 20 minutes and 45 minutes to update the system before you can watch a movie. After that you may not have enough time to finish your movie. The level of nagging is insane, and I know a lot of people who are fed up. I bought myself an Apple TV to stream; my brother bought a Roku. Don't get me wrong - the PS3 is a brilliant piece of hardware, but ruined by Sony's inability to create a secure network.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2013 6:16:10 PM PDT
AVI - Yes, DIVX - Yes, FLV - Yes, MKV - Sorry but No

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 10:47:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2013 1:01:10 PM PDT
Alan B says:
Hello Melvin,
Might want to get a PS3 myself.
Can you answer some questions for me?

1. Do blurays and DVDS play good on it and can you play as many as you want to?
2. Do you have to upgrade sometimes for some bluray discs?
3. Can you use a HDMI cable to hook it up to your T.V.
4. How do the Games look on it?

Help if you can and thank you,
Alan