5.0 out of 5 stars Who says they don't make em like they used to?, February 4, 2009
This review is from: Australia (DVD)
I was looking forward to seeing this movie when it was release late last year given all the hype, and was not dissappointed!

Director, Baz Luhman, has served up a slab of nostalgia ala Australian style with all those beautiful elements we love from films of the 40's and 50's, breathtaking, sweeping landscapes, gorgeous costumes and two fine actors in Kidman and Jackman who get the essence of the film. It nostalgia in every sense of the word, in every frame. The acting style reminds us of Bogart, Grant, Bacall and Dunne. The story is epic in every way and just lovely. I loved the salute to "The Wizard of Oz"a really nice touch!

Of course we all know how it's going to end. Watching Australia was like eating a box of Quality Street chocolates. Sure I know what I'm getting, but I still love it.

For those of you who want to spend a few hours (and I mean a few; it's almost 3 hours) being completely entertained then thisis the movie for you. I only wished they had inserted an interval on it's theatrical release and made the whole event at the movies a real nostalgic experience.

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't like this movie, unless you just aren't up for a feel good picture. I want to see more movies being made like this!!!! Well done to all!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2009 1:52:29 PM PST
Some of us like pictures that have characters that we deeply care about and are more then cyphers. Some of us are sick of cloying children placed in pictures to milk sympathy because most are simple suckers for kids. Finally, some of us don't care about three deaths in the first act of characters we barely know and definitely don't care about. I thought the movie was a solid ***. One great set piece, and the rest just anticlimactic.

Glad you loved it though. Good and fun review.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2009 9:30:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2009 9:30:54 PM PDT
M. Jensen says:
David, this is the kind of comment we all expect from someone with a 40% helpful review rating. Your mediocrity is right on track my friend -- you consistently meet our low expectations for your comments. Keep up the good work!

Posted on Mar 16, 2009 5:05:45 PM PDT
Well, it's just that for a movie this long there isn't enough character development: I want to know a lot more about Neil Fletcher, because he is crucial to this film. It is against him that the rest of the characters will prove themselves: Nicole Kidman tells him at the pier, when they are taking Nullah away, that he is monstruous. But how did he get this way? We're given a hint as to how Hugh Jackman's character got the way HE is, and another for Nicole Kidman's but it's clearly not enough. The spectacle has to be anchored in human drama, the makings of which were there from the beginning: the director just did not use this raw material. Why? You can see Nicole Kidman "trusting" the man who led her through Moulin Rouge, but this time, he led her astray. Sorry.

Posted on Apr 7, 2009 7:25:02 AM PDT
R. Cleveland says:
My husband and I both agree with this reviewer's opinion. It is the kind of movie that deserves an oscar. It had romance, adventure, big screen appeal and was all based on true circumstances. What more can you ask. We saw two great movies this year and they were Austrailia and Gran Torino!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2009 4:48:21 PM PDT
Mudge says:
These were my two favorite movies of the year, too!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2010 12:56:41 PM PST
Karris says:
Sometimes bad people are just bad people for no particular reason. While this movie had all the trappings of a classic Hollywood epic, it had a lot more. And the kid wasn't just "cute." Anyone who actually watched this film would see he was a fully developed character.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›