Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

1.0 out of 5 stars Sony Quality Control Failures, December 3, 2008
This review is from: Sony DEJ011 Portable Walkman CD Player (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
The motor on this thing burned out at 120 days. As it is out of its 90 day warranty (all but useless anyway), I now have a $30 piece of junk. This player has been treated with TLC, no drops, no bangs, no thumps, no mistreatment of any kind.

If you purchase this player, please listen to your motor. If it is giving off audible noises (it should be almost dead silent) so that you need to have the player further away from you just so the noise doesn't degrade the music, you are hearing the motor burn out. If you are within the warranty period, I suggest you return it immediately. Don't wait for the end.

On start up, if the unit does any searching at all to find the first track, or gives you a "no disk" message, you are looking at a failing player. It should just kick to the first track and play.

The earphones are pretty useless for me. They are "in ear" and if they don't fit, you'll quickly be looking for a new set. That's a questionable investment given the low manufacturing quality of the player.

The track programming is very limited. It works only in numeric sequence, i. e. track 1, 2, 3, etc. You cannot program say, tracks 3, 1, 2. Also the programming act itself is clumsy and difficult to get right.

The player just feels flimsy and cheap. I don't have any better suggestions, but this thing is not a first choice. Unfortunately cd players seem to be dieing off under the mp3 deluge.

Added 01/10/2013: Somehow I never got around to mentioning that the AM receiver was terrible. Only the very strongest stations are audible. If you need AM, say for sports, this is not your unit. Best wishes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2009 2:00:01 AM PDT
Absolutely my experience too, and I was foolish enough to buy this model and re-live the experience twice; 4 months in, the machine started to grumble, rumble and complain whenever I hit the play button; then it would randomly cease to function for a few seconds at a time; then it stopped working all together.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 5:20:00 PM PDT
Robin Andrew says:
Have had similar experiences with Sony, particularly with portable music devices & SHAME ON THEM with these ongoing quality control issues!! At one time "back in the day" they actually did make a nice Walkman - course, this was a LONG time ago. Thank you for this review!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2011 5:22:56 PM PDT
Robin Andrew says:
Don't feel bad - I did exactly the SAME THING and here I am looking at Sonys again...sure glad I saw this review and the one starting the thread!! Thank you for making this known!!

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 10:11:14 AM PDT
Peaches says:
I have had this player for years. It has been dropped (a short distance), brought walking,an it is on most every night because I listen to books and they help me relax and fall asleep. I don't use the eaphones,just ear buds. the motor is getting to be a little loud when it is turn on and searching, but it is easy to get whatever program I'm listening. I just think itis time for a new one after approx. 5 years of constant use.
Donna

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 10:00:43 AM PDT
Thank you for this review. Often negative reviews are not very illuminating. Yours certainly is. It not only explains the shortcoming but it explains how one can diagnose it early enough to return it within the 90 days. Very helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2013 4:56:29 PM PDT
Merlyn says:
Thank you. In my reviews, I try to keep my opinions down and provide as much factual detail as I can as to why I didn't like something.

Best wishes.

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 12:16:00 PM PDT
I am still looking for an audio book player that plays library MP3 format CDs. Regardless of the advertizing the Coby does not play CDs in MP3 format. Only regular audio CDs. The MP3 players do not play CDs (require transfer of music from hard drive but not on CDs)

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 11:20:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2014 11:21:55 AM PST
I had a similar experience with my Sony cd player. First it showed "no disc". Then the motor started to sound like a "Model T" when I turned it to "play". Now it doesn't play at all, but the motor keeps heaving and groaning when I turn it on even if it doesn't play. I have had it for 1 year, and I carry it in a padded bag to play while I walk. No drops or bad treatment.

Posted on May 1, 2014 7:59:30 PM PDT
Little Star says:
$30? It's now $85.59! Wow! Did this player have that much of a price increase?

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2014 10:28:58 AM PDT
Merlyn says:
Yes and No. Sony has discontinued production of its entire Walkman line. What you are seeing is the price a predatory Amazon merchant thinks they can get. It probably cost the merchant $ 15 to $ 20.

Capitalism is such a wonderful thing.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›