Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now bgg

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 3D TV, the "Smart" stuff isn't great but I don't care., July 9, 2012
This review is from: Samsung UN55ES6500 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I got this TV to upgrade from an older Samsung 46" 60htz LCD which I loved. I spent a lot of time comparing TV brands when buying that first TV and didn't have to do much shopping for this one. I knew that I loved Samsung's picture over any other TV except for some of the Sony Bravias but they're overpriced IMO. I wanted a 55" 3D with at least 120htz and this one fit the bill. I bought the last one on Amazon so I came back here for this purchase. They delivered it quickly and it was in perfect condition as expected.

I was initially aprehensive about this TV after seeing it only got 3 1/2 stars in customer reviews so I read all the reviews. I found that the people who gave the TV a negative review were all upset about the Smart TV internet features. Slow connectivity when using a browser, Netflix, Youtube, etc. I understand their reason for being upset because a TV that includes those features should function properly. Unfortunately these rely heavily on your internet connection speed which may not be fast enough to support them. Oh well, buy a faster internet plan. This TV is on the low end of the Smart TV spectrum so I wouldn't expect those features to perform as well on it considering the other 3 models above it have dual core processors built into them to handle that. Buy one of those models with the dual core if you're main reason for having a TV is to surf the internet or watch youtube. Or just use your computer for that like the rest of us. The actual "TV" is top-notch and the 3D is spectacular!

I agree with some of the reviewers that the picture needs tweaking to get it right. I was fully prepared for that because I had to tweak my last Samsung for a while before getting the picture just right but once it's set, it's awesome. This TV has even more options to tweak so it can get confusing for the inexperienced but it's capable of producing one of the best pictures out there if you know how to tune it. The Dynamic, Standard, and Native picture modes are actually pretty useless unfortunately. Set it to Movie mode and start tweaking. Yes, it starts out dark so increase the backlighting and brightness, bump up the color and sharpness, high auto contrast, darkest black level, etc... If anyone wants my specific settings I'll list them if you ask.

The 3D is simply awesome. Home theater 3D isn't going to be as good as going to an IMAX theater but it's still pretty sweet. One thing to keep in mind is that the picture mode settings that you did in TV mode don't carry over to 3D mode nor do they carry over to the other sources, HDMI in, Component In. So, if you have a PS3 hooked up to HDMI you'll have to edit the picture settings for that source to match the main TV settings so you get the same picture in both. Game Mode limits the amount of settings you can tweak so you have to use your judgement with that but if you match everything you can it'll work out fine. Just remember to turn Game Mode OFF before watching movies because it degrades picture quality.

I'm sure this isn't the best review out there for the TV but it might be of some use to some of you. If you're considering a 3D TV and you're not overly concerned with using it as a web browser and just want a great TV then this is it. Once dialed in, the picture is fantastic and the price is right. If you're interested in the Smart TV features MORE than watching a great and inexpensive 3D TV then pay more money for the next models in the series that have the dual core processor. Regardless, stick with a Samsung because it's always the best picture for the money.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 13, 2012 12:54:12 PM PDT
Brendan says:
I just purchased the 60 inch version of this TV and could really use some help with settings. Can you provide what you are using? Any help is very much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:21:57 AM PDT
Brian says:
Yes, I'll post my settings later on tonight for you.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 12:35:05 PM PDT
Neroos says:
I haven't actually purchased the UN50ES6500FXZA yet but I did download the Users Manual to read about it. The download for the manual has 667 pages, but they are small pages. Does the manual that comes with the TV really have that many pages? That's about enough to scare anybody off!

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 6:24:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012 7:25:31 AM PDT
Brian says:
Neroos - The manual covers multiple languages, the english portion is not that big.

Brendan - Sorry for being late posting the settings...
If these settings seem too grainy for you then just turn down the Sharpness setting. Certain pictures look grainy but most don't in my opinion. I agree with some reviewers that there is some light bleeding in from the edges/corners of the TV on black screens but that's how LEDs create the picture. I don't mind it actually because I'm too busy watching the actual picture and not staring at the edges. Start with these settings and edit them as you see fit but I've spent a long time getting it right as far as my eyes see things. Others who have seen the picture seem to agree so hopefully you will too. Good luck and I hope you like the results!

Movie Mode

Picture Options
Color Tone Warm1
Digital Noise Filter Auto
MPEG Noise Filter Auto
HDMI Black Level Low (grayed out)
Film Mode Off (grayed out)
Auto Motion Plus Clear
LED Motion Plus Off

Remember to change the settings to this for every input source because it doesn't carry over to all sources! Plus, the input source's signal could affect the picture so you might need to tweak it. If the color is too saturated for you just turn down the COLOR setting and don't mess with the white balance unless you're trying to tweak a particular color.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 2:42:22 PM PST
Zaxt says:
Can you tell me if the screen is glossy or matte?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:20:59 PM PST
Neroos says:
matte finish

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 8:01:11 AM PST
Thank you, thank you for this original review with the settings. I was about to send this TV back right out of the box! The picture is now a pleasure to watch, instead of giving me a headache as if I was breaking in a new pair of reading glasses! I am very sensitive to changes in vision, and the original settings popped the people in the foreground into sharp focus and left the background blurred. It was almost like a very brightly lighted stage production. Good job!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:04:57 AM PST
Thanks! I'm glad you liked my settings. Enjoy

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 4:33:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 4:35:03 PM PST
Marc says:
Your color settings look great..Thanks. Color temp set on Warm 2 also looks great.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 5:06:38 PM PDT
J. Mills says:
@Brian How much did you pay for your Samsung UN55ES6500 55-Inch 1080 back in july 2012 from amazing?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›