Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally It's HERE!, March 27, 2012
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX P510 16.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 42x Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and GPS Record Location (Black) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
Let me start by saying I have been waiting for this camera since early February. And waiting and waiting long after it was supposed to be released February 15th. Today I finally got mine! (obviously only having it for a few hours won't allow me to give the best review but I would like to point out some of the things I have noticed)

I am an avid camera collector and Nikon fan, taking classes in high school and college (and the last thing I needed was yet another camera) but I was unhappy with my options. My DSLR took fantastic pictures but was too heavy to carry around for everyday use and my basic point and shoot was the perfect pocket size, but took less than decent pictures. I was hoping a bridge camera would solve all of my problems.

Pros so far:
- Camera powers on very quickly.
- Its surprisingly light and compact without sacrificing amazing picture quality.
- The camera body has a nice grip on it so it's easy to hold on to and stays in your hand.
- The pop out screen makes it oh so easy to see pictures you're taking at weird angles.
- Easy to use (especially for those people who aren't comfortable with adjusting ISO and shutter speed manually - but can be adjusted for those who are)
- Has tons of settings (hard to say forsure but seems like it performs well in low light situations)
- The zoom is INCREDIBLE (I can take a picture of a lego mini figure from 20 feet away with better clarity and image quality than I could right in front of the object with my point and shoot)

The downsides I have noticed so far:
-Video is alright, when I blow it up on my computer it doesn't look to be true HD quality but it's good. Also the zoom on the video can be heard no matter what which is a little annoying.
-The zoom on the actual camera is very slow if you're extending it the full range and it takes a few seconds to focus.
- Battery life is not that good - would definitely recommend getting a back up!

Overall I LOVE this camera. Sure you may find a Canon or Olympus that has slightly better reviews in one feature or another, but let's be real, no camera has it all. However, in my opinion so far this comes pretty close!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2012 8:10:37 PM PDT
Spudman says:
thanks for writing this helpful review. I've been waiting for some firsthand reviews of this camera. Still trying to decide between the Nikon and the Panasonic FZ150. Have fun with your new toy. I also need another camera like a hole in the head, but this one is tempting.

spudman

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 9:45:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2012 9:46:05 AM PDT
Deguello says:
"Video is alright, when I blow it up on my computer it doesn't look to be true HD quality but it's good."

What's the resolution on your computer monitor and how far are you "blowing it up"?

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 6:11:15 AM PDT
Speed-Racer says:
I have been reading a lot of criticisms about zoom noise on video. Be careful what you wish for... I don't have this camera, but I want to point out that on my camera, Sony solved the problem by disabling zoom in video mode.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 8:21:30 AM PDT
CJ says:
Does this one have dual processors? I looked at a previous model Nikon with 36x zoom that was on clearance 50% off recently and it mentioned it had dual image processors. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 11:16:33 AM PDT
Peter says:
Most reviewers I have seen and I've seen a bunch rate the fz 1/2 notch lower than this. Most are 3.5 outta 5 for fz and 4 for the P510

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 3:48:00 AM PDT
Bill Cole says:
Now that you had the camera for approximately 4 months, how about giving us the benefit of usage over time & editing your review, how that you have some actual experience with the camera.
Do you even still have the P510?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 8:49:54 PM PDT
E. Sanchez says:
I have had this camera for 4 months, what do you want to know?

It doesnt seem like the OP is responding.

I have posted sample pictures on here. The video is the thing I wish was better, the time it takes to focus is really bad. Also I like to take lightning pictures, but the longest you can leave the lense open for is 8 seconds. So you press the button and hope in the next 8 seconds there is lightning. Other high end cameras ( although for more money ) have a "bulb" setting, where as long as you hold the button down, the lense will stay open. I would like AT LEAST 60 seconds on this camera. Other than that, I love the camera. The zoom is amazing, and thats why most people will buy this camera. You get great zoom without buying expensive lenses.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 3:38:16 PM PDT
northd_tech says:
My P510 has firmware version 1.0. Do you think that this is something that could be fixed in camera firmware (on a digital one anyway)? Perhaps if enough of us contacted Nikon they might eventually do something here. I take many photos at night and have wished for much longer exposure times myself.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 10:57:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2012 11:00:13 PM PDT

Could anyone please advise me if you can take pictures while recording video on the p510? Also, would you this camera be good for filming rock concerts? Thank you very much.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 10:10:40 AM PDT
E. Sanchez says:
No, it can't take pictures while taking video. But the software it comes with allows you to take stills from the video you took later on. Also, no this camera is not good for recording concerts unless you keep the same focus the entire time. The second you try to zoom in,this camera loses focus and usually never regains it in low light situations.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›