5.0 out of 5 stars Squaretrade is as good as their word! (don't throw away your receipt), April 6, 2009
This review is from: SquareTrade 3-Year TV Protection Plan ($350-$400) (Electronics)
I purchased a 42" flat screen tv a few years ago, and was naturally concerned about what to do after the 1 year manufacturer's warranty had expired. The store offered its own extended warranty program, but I was hesitant about putting down hundreds of dollars for a 3 year extended warranty. Surely there was something more economical with the same, or better service?

I heard, via word of mouth, of a third-party alternative called Squaretrade. Intrigued, I checked reseller ratings, and was very shocked to see a lifetime rating of 9.7. I read many of the reviews, and they all consistently praised ST's dedication to fulfilling its warranty promises. Of the few that were not pleased with ST service (and some of them were the customer's fault), I was impressed by the follow-up messages left by ST's representatives to resolve the situation.

Convinced, I ended up purchasing a 3 year warranty through Squaretrade, for just ~$40. ST runs monthly %-off discounts, so you can always get a very good bargain. To clarify, if I remember correctly, the 3 year warranty is really a 2 year warranty, since the first year overlaps with the first year of the manufacturer's warranty. However, you should read the fine print to double check.

Talk about knocking on wood. My TV broke recently, and so I submitted my claim form to ST, which primarily comprised faxing a copy of my receipt to them (don't throw it away!), and describing my problem. I was expecting a reply a few months later, but Squaretrade promises resolution in less than week. I was shocked to find in my email inbox, a message from ST indicating that since it was cost prohibitive to ship my TV back to them for repairs, they would instead be refunding my original purchase price in its entirety, through PayPal. Sure enough, the money was sent the next day.

This is legendary service, the kind consumers dream about. You can buy a ST warranty with complete confidence, and be assured of their guarantees. Regarding TVs, they will not cover certain issues, e.g. burn-in on a plasma, and lamp replacements on DLPs. Again, check the fine print (don't worry, there's not too much to read).

I'm going to be buying all my warranties through ST in the future, recommending them to my friends and families, and making sure my children, and my children's children buy Squaretrade warranties. I wholeheartedly recommend them (and no, I'm not getting paid by ST to write this review).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 19, 2009 12:52:47 PM PDT
keysgirl says:
This review sounded suspiciously like marketing drivel to me and if you click on this reviewers history you will see that they have reviewed 17 different SquareTrade Products And in each one it says that his TV broke.... Seriously don't listen to this review! I don't know anything about this product but this is not an honest review! I flagged it as inappropriate and I will be posting this on all 17 if I can... On top of it all this reviewer has the privilege of being a vine voice!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2009 1:05:34 PM PDT
keysgirl: Yes, I posted the same review on 17 different ST Products, and for good reason. The items are the same, the only difference is the price that you are paying for the warranty, and that price depends on your TV screen size and original purchase price. People reading a review of a warranty on a 32" item will receive the same level of service as on a 42" TV.

Frankly, if you don't own a high definition TV with a SquareTrade warranty keysgirl, you shouldn't be making such critical comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2009 10:17:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2009 10:17:35 AM PST
David says:
@ keysgirl

The service is identical. I also did this when I reviewed a warranty service. The product is a service, and the service is identical for each insurance level. This mass-review strategy is a way to make your review useful to a large number of people on what are effectively identical products.

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 7:38:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2012 7:43:24 AM PST
Darcal says:
It's disturbing to see how many Squaretrade employees are on here creating fake reviews and rating up their product. That makes me upset. Not saying all of the high rated reviews are fake, just that the Squaretrade employee presence here is obvious as they reply to a lot of the lower rated customer reviews. They don't realize that a lot of us look at and read the low rated reviews first since we know they're at least honest and from real customers. I was interested in purchasing a ST extended warranty for an LED TV that I'm going to purchase on Amazon, but now I'm not too sure. Just wish the employees would stay out and more Amazon confirmed purchase reviews were present. It's obvious that some of these "customer" experience stories were fabricated.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 12:11:18 PM PST
Jeff says:
This guy has reviewed 337 items on Amazon and is listed as a top 500 reviewer. I don't think he is employed by Squaretrade.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:17:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 6:29:17 AM PDT
SorenTwo says:
@ Darcal,

This is an honest question: How can you tell SquareTrade employees are "creating fake reviews?" I'm not saying you're wrong; I just don't know how you came to that conclusion.

@ Jeff:

I checked out some of his initial reviews and they're for cereal, 2 for electric shavers, 2 for ear buds. I think he reviews to get products. They might be honest reviews, but really, why would anyone go to the effort of writing a lengthy review of a box of cereal unless there was an ulterior motive?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 8:27:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2012 8:51:33 AM PDT
Mike says:
@Senor Zoidbergo, @keysgirl, @darcal & @jeff:

In 2009 the (FTC) Federal Trade Commission passed a federal mandated law stating if a consumer, retailer, sales person(s), company for profit pays, bribes, retrieves, uses alias, or any type of baited testimonial to sell products, will violate federal law, which comes with an automatic $100,000 fine per testimonial and is not limited to 1-10 years in prison per count. The good news is Amazon.com can not be held liable for someone else's deception due to the shear volume of testimonials that are posted daily. It lies in the hands of the corporation or person(s) that's been giving the review(s); only if that's the case here. Please keep in mind that this very well could be a truthful testimonial without a bribe (given products/services to give a favorable review) or an employee/employer trying to outsell its competitor. With that said I'm sure the proper channel of authorities is always watching to see if there's fictitious testimonial(s) with loaded bait and switch tactics to inflate profit and sales or to see if these testimonials are authentic. Let the truth set you free and let the deception provide you with adequate time to think. -- Cheers!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,647 customer reviews)
 (1,071)

$25.28
Reviewer

Senor Zoidbergo
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Location: Washington D.C.