Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

3.0 out of 5 stars If Only All Those Stories Were A Bit More Miraculous . . . ., November 4, 2012
This review is from: Miracles Happen: The Transformational Healing Power of Past-Life Memories (Hardcover)
It is said that being regressed to a past life can sometimes have a profound effect on the person regressed. Unfortunately, this book proves that reading about the past lives of others can sometimes be profoundly unaffecting. I read Miracles Happen: The Transformational Healing Power of Past-Life Memories twice. First, on a Kindle I borrowed to buy and read it, and then a hard copy from the library. I read the hard copy, because I wanted to make sure reading on a Kindle wasn't affecting my view of it. There was no difference. Even though the Weiss' book had many, many stories, only a very few seemed particularly interesting. Maybe I've read too many past life stories. Or maybe I'm on a different wavelength than Brian and Amy Weiss. Or maybe, where the Omega Institute stories are concerned, you had to be there to experience the happenings to fully appreciate them.

All the references to the Omega Institute bothered me a bit, but not as much as it would have in the past. Years ago, when I was more intensely interested in discovering past lives, I would have been miffed about all the testimonies from people who discovered their past lives at workshops that cost hundreds of dollars, or on cruises that cost thousands. In fact, I think I even clobbered Dr. Weiss in a past book review about that matter. My miffiness was not rooted in envy of those with more opportunities or money, but in the idea that spiritual discoveries seemed to have a price tag. Also, Dr. Weiss' past life CD did nothing to help me discover any past lives. It just put me to sleep. Metaphysical research and discussions were going nowhere, regardless of how much time I spent studying and discussing. I was becoming very disenchanted with the New Age world.

But then, some time later, I had a dream. I dreamt I was visiting a mental hospital--a dark place filled with despair. I was filled with utter despair just standing in the hallway. Then, I found a few bright yellow coins, and somehow knew they were associated with Brian Weiss and past life regression. The coins were so bright that they started to light up the hallway, that light then blew open the closed doors of the dark mental hospital, and I walked outside to a beautiful late afternoon with bright blue skies. When I woke up, I immediately thought that if past life regression could keep people out of mental wards, then it was worth its weight in gold, regardless of if I believed in it or not.

That is why I stick with Brian Weiss. Even when his books bore me. Even when I strongly disagree with some of his book recommendations on his website. Even when I don`t know for sure any longer what I believe about life and death. I stick with Dr. Weiss because he's like the godfather of past life regression. I don't think he's in it for the money, either. He's also a person someone from a Judeo-Christian background can feel comfortable with, and not have to worry he's going to go way off in left-field in a book or video. And he comes across really, really well in his videos. He's like the Mr. Rogers of the New Age neighborhood. I think his strength lies in his voice, not his writings.

Talking of videos, for those of you who do feel resentful about not being able to afford a workshop at the Omega Institute, they currently have a 90 minute video on their website with Dr. Weiss that includes a 30 minute regression. It's free to watch and free to do the regression at home. It didn't work for me. I discovered no past lives. I fell asleep during the regression both times that I watched it. But that's not important. If past life regression does work for others in helping them conquer their psychological problems and fears, especially their fear of death, it is indeed worth its weight in gold.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2013 11:03:34 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:41:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 1:12:13 PM PST
SundayAtDusk says:
He's in it for the money to make a living. We all must make a living, unless we were born rich or have someone else who totally supports us. What I was saying was I don't think he's a fraudulent New Age writer/practitioner, as so many of them are. Also, I don't think he continues with his workshops and books solely to make additional income. I think he truly sees and believes past life regression helps individuals with their emotional problems and fears--particularly the fear of death. But I do not know Dr. Weiss, so I do not know for certain, of course, that what I believe about him is true or not true.

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 10:52:00 AM PST
Cynthia S. says:
This was a even-handed, balanced review in my opinion, and I appreciate that. I too have wondered if past life regressions at institutes, during therapy, etc., were only for the wealthy. I have wondered also, how honest and sincere these "past life" authors are now that they have made millions of dollars from their books, CD's, etc. Brian Weiss has been around for a long time with his message and I trust that he remains honest and truthful in his books.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 8:54:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2013 8:57:44 PM PST
SundayAtDusk says:
Thank you. I do have mixed feelings about past life regression, but I, too, like to believe Brian Weiss is honest. He also offers something tangible--namely he does past life regressions and teaches others how to do so. I was thinking about that this week, because I just read Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife. Dr. Alexander is another highly educated doctor, who is apparently starting off on the road to becoming the Brian Weiss of NDE. Yet, I'm not sure after finishing his book what it is he has to offer. Lots of people have had NDEs, many far more interesting and inspiring than Dr. Alexander's. When people buy his books or CDs or pay big bucks to hear him speak in person, they are paying for exactly what?

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 3:54:15 PM PST
cleo says:
I went to Dr Weiss' workshop last Saturday (2-16-13) here in FT Lauderdale. I bought my ticket 2 months in advance and it only cost $79. It was a great experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013 10:33:22 PM PST
SundayAtDusk says:
What did you do and discover?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 12:45:44 PM PST
cleo says:
He did a hypnotic regression with us in the morning and afternoon plus relaxation and a psychic experience. He also lectured. I have a PhD. in psychology and knew I wouldn't go under. Some people brought yoga mats and some stayed in their chairs. I just found a comfortable place on the carpet. The first regression was really powerful for me. When I woke up, my hands were freezing. I felt like 15 minutes had gone by. He said if your hands are cold that it meant you went under very deeply. Then he told us that we had been under for 40 minutes. I couldn't believe it. I viewed 3 lifetimes. People can scoff but go see him before you dismiss him.

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 12:12:45 PM PDT
Jude says:
This is one of the best reviews I've ever read on Amazon!
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2013 10:11:33 PM PDT
SundayAtDusk says:
Gee, your comment is one of the nicest I've ever read at Amazon! Thanks. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2014 10:42:48 AM PST