nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more

2.0 out of 5 stars Feels like The Sims 2 Upgrade, June 3, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Sims 3 - PC (DVD-ROM)
Going from Sims 1 to Sims 2 was amazing. The new graphics, the new camera controls, customizing your Sim's facial features, etc, etc, etc. Sadly, there isn't that sense of "wow" in Sims 3.

That's okay, I didn't expect a COMPLETE overhaul of the game like we saw with Sims 2. The Sims 2 is great game, and "if ain't broke, don't fix it" right?

Well, here's what I DID expect the Sims 3 to have:

1. I expected all new animations, interactions, objects, hairstyles, and so on. There is new stuff, but I feel that more than 50% of the content in this game is ported from the Sims 2. To me, this is plain lazy and shouldn't have been accepted. I would understand if a fraction of content was duplicated, but not half. It seems to me that if they wanted to do it that way, then Sims 3 should have been called The Sims 2 Upgrade.

2. I expected there to be a noticeable difference between life stages. Maybe I'm being picky here, but the "young adult" and "adult" life stages look the same to me. And the biggest changes from going from "teen" to "young adult" are new clothing options and no more school. That's it. Yeah. Furthermore, the only way that I've been able to tell the ages of the Sims that I meet, is by going to the "Throw Party" option. The screen that comes up is the only place I can find that tells me whether a Sim is a teen, young adult, or adult. It is not obvious from their picture or appearance. If you click on their picture, it gives you some info on who they are but it does not tell you their age. This is a hassle when I'm trying to find a mate for my Sim and I would like them to be in the same life stage.

3. I expected Sims 3 to give me baby girls!!!! I'll admit that this probably only applies to me. I've had three generations so far, eight sims babies total, and they are all boys. I even tried saving the game right before birth and reloading it to see if the baby would change gender. None of them did. I don't know if other people are having this problem, but it is kind of disappointing how all of the children in my families are the same gender.

4. I expected Sims 3 to utilize genetics in order to produce unique Sims. Once I got two boys born at different times that looked like twins. Not one feature different. The same thing happened a second time except that one boy was slightly skinnier than the other. I don't mind all that much, but in my opinion Sims should not be identical unless they are twins.

5. I expected to follow my Sim to the bookstore and to a restaurant. The movie theater and job buildings I can understand, but when my Sim disappeared into a restaurant, I couldn't believe it. And "it may be included in an expansion pack" is no excuse. Restaurants were a fantastic social gathering place in both Sims 1 and Sims 2. If the option is there, then it should be fleshed out. Once again, EA was being lazy.

6. I expected more new content. Yeah, I already mentioned this, but this is the reason why this game is getting two stars instead of four. Because as annoying as those other disappointments are, this is the one that cripples this game. The entire children's toys section is copied from Sims 2, excluding the blocks table. And that's just one section. Don't get me started on the animations and social interactions. I don't understand how the next version of my favorite game could let me down this much.

7. I expected EA to not charge me twice for the same game. Paying for stuff at the Sims 3 exchange?! Do I have to explain this one? No thank you, EA. I will wait for the community to distribute better quality custom content for free. And when tools are released for creating CC, I will create and post my things for free because the Sims community revolves around free content.

Sims 3 isn't all bad. After all, I am playing it. The best part of Sims 3 for me is that I can kick out my Sim siblings and they can take care of themselves. This is wonderful since I like to play Legacy style. Another good thing is that townies are more attractive. You get a beastly one here and there, but your Sims community no longer looks like a freak show. There's more diversity in skin colors and body shapes. Thanks to the map, you get a sense that your Sims live in a community rather than floating around outer space somewhere.

There are many great things about Sims 3. Unfortunately, the failings outweigh the successes. I don't think EA spent very much time at all thinking about the features and upgrades they could put into Sims 3. I feel like they came up with just enough features to justify it being a "3" instead of an "EP" so that they could make money. It's a fun game, but it doesn't feel like a new game.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 5, 2009 12:40:23 AM PDT
C says:
If you eat apples during pregnancy = boys
watermelon = girls

Posted on Jun 5, 2009 1:37:36 AM PDT
Jennifer says:
Playing Sims 2, I hate when kids look exactly the same, so I completely agree with your comment.

Posted on Jun 5, 2009 4:27:27 AM PDT
kellie says:
Like the review, I had a family who had a single child first (a boy), followed by triplets (all boys) and then twins (boys again). And the woman didnt eat any fruit or anything throughout. ALL BOYS. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I would have liked at least ONE girl. Im really peeved. All the kids, with the exception of their hair colour, are identical. Perhaps it will change if they make it to adult hood??? The way my game is crashing though, they might not make it to adulthood ever. Or Ill kill them first, vent my frustration lol. :)

Posted on Jun 7, 2009 11:24:16 PM PDT
No. 3 is simply HILARIOUS!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2009 12:01:59 PM PDT
Ohh Mama says:
I had all boys... the game crashed... I started over and had all girls? Odd. I think it's random.

Anyway-- I don't think its better than sims 2. There were more missions in sims 2? I haven't really come across any. Malcom isn't fun anymore. Just rude..

I do like the way you can build your home ... its easier. I was never able to build a roof in sims 2.

Posted on May 22, 2012 12:31:40 PM PDT
Person says:
3. I'm getting annoyed with having ONLY baby girls!!!!!!!!!

7. I have never paid for an exchange item. You mean store?

All. Most importantly, this game came out with less content because Sims 3 is completely different in software creation and all that. You are comparing one game to many games (Sims 2 and all expansion packs). If Sims 3 were to have all of that and then some, the game would not be out yet and everyone would be complaining about that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›