5.0 out of 5 stars Not that difficult, huge difference in draftiness, January 29, 2011
This review is from: Duck Brand 281504 Indoor 5-Window Shrink Film Kit, 62-by-210-Inch (Tools & Home Improvement)
I highly recommend you read the entire directions, and also the other reviews. By reading the very helpful reviews I was able to learn from people who have done this before. It was so worth the time. Speaking of time... that's really the main thing you want to dedicate to this cause - time. If you rush it, it will be unpleasant and not work well.

Get your hairdryer ahead of time. Clean and dry the areas to be sealed. If you are doing an old-fashioned door with a checkered=pattern window, like me... Measure/cut to leave enough extra to seal over the grille [cross pieces on the glass]. I just covered my windows on the front and back door that have the glass checker-board panes. I had to cut the tape into 12 pieces. With this type of application the tape had to go on the glass instead of the sill, because the sill is about 50 years old and if I rip off the paint, there is gonna be hell to pay. No worries. It worked on the glass and the draft stopped immediately.

There is an issue I can see, and it was mentioned by other reviewers... You may need to use more tape than provided because in some cases the tape gets touched and loses it's stickiness before you are ready to seal the plastic. No worries, just put another piece of tape and don't touch, put that plastic on fast and don't get too many finger-prints on everything as you try to size it. Fingerprint grease is obviously a glue destroyer. For that it's best to do one section of tape at a time. I've done four windows [counting the two doors as one window] so far and still have plenty of tape left.

For best adherence, use the dryer to warm the surface you are applying the tape to, especially if it's glass. Then use the dryer to warm up the tape just before you press the plastic onto it, but not too much or it will dry out. The good thing is that this isn't like saran wrap - if the plastic folds on itself it doesn't stick - hence the tape.

I also covered 3 regular, modern windows where I could put the tape directly on the clean sill. Worked great, piece of cake. As far as how much of this stuff there is... definitely enough for 5 windows. In my case I've used scraps on the back door - piecing two remnants from the other windows onto this one, since it's rarely viewed it doesn't need to be perfect. It turned out pretty good and that means you can make at least six window covers if you are willing to be creative.

One more thing if you do have very leaky windows like these old doors I'm talking about, you may see what I see... that is condensation pooling at the bottom of the plastic which is pulling the plastic away from the glass in those sections. The way I see it... That is condensation that would be in my house, I'm glad that cold water is in the plastic and not in my air. However that does mean that in order to keep the doors from getting more rickety than they already are I have to sop that water up from time to time... and perhaps replace the tape every so often. No worries.

The main thing is my heater goes on about half as much as before. I haven't got an electric bill since installing, but I don't think it's rocket science - that's got to translate to savings worth more than the $8 this kit costs. I will never go a winter without it again. Even if there was no cost savings, not having an uncomfortably drafty house is priceless.

[Add comment]