5.0 out of 5 stars Pre-Seasoned is the Way to Go!!!, November 11, 2005
This review is from: Lodge L5SK3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Skillet, 8-inch (Kitchen)
After struggling with a set of three regular cast iron pans from a different manufacturer, I finally boxed them up for Goodwill. I never mastered the seasoning part of cast iron usage. I ended up with a sticky residue and one pan rusted. After about three attempts of scouring and reseasoning, I gave up and ordered three Lodge Logic Pre-Seasoned skillets.

It is fanstastic. It worked like a charm with the first use -- no problems with sticking at all. I actually smiled while making my burger! My cornbread was also back up to Southern standards thanks to my 10-inch pan.

The 10-inch works well for cornbread and frying. (Actually cast iron is the only way to make good cornbread.) I use the 8 for single burgers. The 6 I bought out of habit, but it also works well for single burgers.

Clean up is relatively easy. Wash with hot water; Lodge does not recommend using soap. Dry thoroughly. I then heat mine on the stove top, turn off the heat, add a tablespoon of oil and use a paper towel to spread the oil on the entire pan inside and out. After the pan cools, I wipe away any excess oil and store the pan.

For anyone who wants a head start on leaving heirloom cast iron pans, I strongly suggest this product.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 23, 2011 11:48:40 AM PST
Annie Hsu says:
Do you see any black residue/powder left on your paper towel after wiping the pan with oil?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2011 3:08:40 AM PST
NuJoi says:
Sometimes. Instead of wiping the oil away with a paper towel, try using a towel so you can keep wiping until you don't see the residue. It may require a little more pressure.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2011 12:59:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2011 1:00:23 AM PDT
Great Cook says:
When you re-season the pan, doesn't the oil left on the pan get
Rancid?
What kind of oil are you using?
Thank you..

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2011 2:24:03 AM PDT
NuJoi says:
I use canola oil. It doesn't get rancid because you're wiping away all of the excess oil.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 6:19:41 AM PST
I use solid Crisco shortening, rubbing it in, if you will, just before heating the pan after it's washed and dried, then wiping out the excess after heating it. I tried olive oil a few times, for health's sake, but it only left a sticky, semi-permanent residue. The Crisco doesn't seem to leave much residue, just a good non-stick finish. I might try your idea of canola oil. Speaking of finish, I'm certainly glad I have my cast iron, given the recent news of PFCs in non-stick finishes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (4,406 customer reviews)
 (3,404)