5.0 out of 5 stars No need for a KitchenAid!, April 23, 2011
This review is from: Sunbeam FPSBHS0302 250-Watt 5-Speed Stand Mixer, Black (Kitchen)
Although I'm an avid baker, I've never really desired a KitchenAid Stand mixer--not only do they seem way too expensive (my mother offered to buy me one for a wedding gift, as she did for each of my two sisters, but I turned her down), but also they just seem too impractical. I mean, really--I bake relatively frequently, but I'm a CASUAL baker, not a professional one, and I so I couldn't see the purpose of having a large, unwieldy stand mixer that would be difficult to store, impractical, and would like spend most of the time sitting on a shelf.

On the other hand, I certainly CAN see the advantages of having a stand mixer on hand. For example, sometimes you want to let the mixer take over while you add ingredients, and sometimes you have certain recipes requiring longer-duration mixing (e.g., meringues, whipped cream, pound cake) when a stand mixer definitely comes in handy. For this reason, I began researching lower-cost stand mixers some time ago. I also mentioned to my husband that I was looking at stand mixers, and this past Christmas, my husband surprised me with this Sunbeam Hand and Stand Mixer Combo, a new model which had only recently come on the market.

In short, I have loved having this mixer! Although I did already have a reliable hand mixer which I like very much (and it does happen to be a KitchenAid: KitchenAid KHM5APWH 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer, White), having the combination until is still nice. First, the base of this mixer (i.e., without the mixer or bowl attached) is extremely light. Some people may be concerned that the product is made of plastic, but it is sturdy and well-designed, and personally, I feel no need to drag a heavy appliance on and off the shelf! I do like that the included bowl is stainless steel. It locks easily into the main until with a simple twist, and when the mixer is turned on, the bowl turns automatically.

The mixer itself is the heaviest component, yet it is still light enough and completely comfortable to use as a hand mixer (a great feature if you are alternating between making more than one thing at once--you can switch from the stand mixer to using by hand with a simple click). The mixer has five speeds, but it is SO powerful that I often use only the three lowest settings. Despite its power, this mixer is not any noisier than my other hand mixer. When it is in the stand, the mixer does an excellent job of keeping the bowl spinning, even when adding thick ingredients like cream cheese. The only (slight) issue that I've noticed is that if the bowl is not very full, the beaters will create kind of a well in the middle and push all the ingredients out to the sides--this just means that I need to scrape down the sides of the bowl, which I would do anyway.

Overall, this mixer has been a great addition to my kitchen at a relatively low cost. I've been thrilled with it so far, and I would definitely recommend it!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 4, 2012 6:50:49 PM PDT
stuey says:
Your husband bought you a kitchen appliance as a gift? I sooooooooo thought we weren't supposed to do that...

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 7:05:43 PM PDT
doctor_beth says:
LOL! In fact, the very same Christmas, he also bought me Waring Pro Professional Double Belgian Waffle Maker Model # WWM1200SA--he thought it would be easier for me if I could make us both waffles at the same time. ;)

Actually, he has bought me some extremely nice jewelry and other more personal gifts as well--I guess when you've been together as long as we have (going on 24 years this summer), you need to throw some more practical gifts in there too!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 10:35:53 AM PDT
kittyn says:
I say it depends on the wife and kitchen appliance. Buying me a good stand mixer, or Pyrex, or stainless cookware, as a present? Awesome. Buy me a cheap blender from walmart on Christmas Eve? Uh... No. And for the love of all you hold holy, avoiding anything used to clean is probably a good idea (I might make an exception for a dishwasher, but no promises :P)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 11:46:05 AM PDT
doctor_beth says:
AED, I agree that it depends on the person--better know your partner before you start gifting appliances!!! And yes, cleaning products are probably NEVER a good idea. :o

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 7:34:14 AM PDT
P. Watson says:
Thanks for the review! You and I have similar baking habits and I've held off getting one for the sames reasons as you. I plant to email this to my husband and tell him to put it on my birthday/Christmas gift wish list.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 7:44:28 AM PDT
doctor_beth says:
You are welcome, P.! I hope that this winds up working for you. :)

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 3:32:37 PM PDT
I have to throw a thanks your way. I too am no pro or proper enthusiast baker yet often enough find myself needing to make dough. Also I needed a replacement for my old feeble hand mixer, your review sold me and I'm happy to say it's every bit as good as you say. It can even handle thicker doughs such as pizza easily and the mechanism does a great job of letting me leave it alone to do its thing alone.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 4:10:13 PM PDT
doctor_beth says:
D.C., I am so glad to hear that this worked for you!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2013 6:40:50 AM PDT
Emme says:
D.C., you have had success using this to make bread dough? Another reviewer said they did not. That is the only thing I would be using this mixer for, and am hesitant to purchase it based on the other review.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2013 9:43:52 AM PDT
C. Jackson says:
Glad I kept looking at additional pages for mixers. Really would liket o have a stand mixer, but didn't want to spend the extra dollars for the Kitchen Aid and wasn't sure that was really what I wanted. Will give the hint to my hubby for Christmas this year for this model. Thank You for the review
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›