3.0 out of 5 stars Verteran gamer, somewhat dissapointed., September 4, 2013
This review is from: Total War: Rome II [Download] (Software Download)
Hey all,

I'm updating this review now that I have 80 hours played and CA has released 2 patches (with patch 3 in the works).

I'm sticking with 3 stars, even though there has been a lot of improvement with the patches.

Improvements:
- Speed of game is certainly improved. Less waiting during AI turns, even battle loading and save game loading seem streamlined.
- AI seems to be better than before. The game is still very easy on 'normal'. I started a second campaign on 'hard' with the Iceni and it still seems too easy. (and trust me, I'm not an uber gamer either).
- Graphics seem to scale better depending on settings.
- I don't experience nearly as much lag in campaign or during battles as at release.

Lingering Complaints:
- 1 year per turn and no seasons. This really detracts from the 'Epic' feel of the game. I enjoyed this feature in Shogun 2, I felt like it added greatly to the 'world experience'. You have to plan around the harvest and the winter attrition. It couldn't be full court press all the time, sometimes you had to 'let nature take its course'. In Rome 2 they're going for epic by increasing map size to a huge number of settlements. Well, let's be honest, after you've conquered 1/3 of a gigantic map and nobody even comes close to your size and might, the game becomes monotonous and boring. They wanted to stay somewhat historical with timetable and hit the magic 300 turns per game number. Sorry, it just doesn't jive. With 1 turn per year the generals die too quickly as well.
- Autoresolve is bipolar. Seems that it doesn't take enough factors into account when determining the casualties and likelihood of victory. For instance, I am given a 10% chance to win by autoresolve, but fight the battle manually and win 10:1, killing 700 of them for 70 of mine. Why is this? you got me....
- Promotions for generals and characters is like guess work (at least until you've memorized the promotions table from the wiki). Shogun2 had a nice, easy to read, and informative tree it displayed when selecting promotions. Rome 2 does not.

Anyway, its still a decently fun game to play.... but my advice is still to wait a while until you jump in. Let the kinks get ironed out.

Cheers!

Here's my original review (for record):

Bought Rome 2 and played 5 hours last night.
Honestly, I think it is a step back for Total War titles.
I have a decent amount of experience in the Total War series of games; I played Shogun 1 from the start, I've played though most factions in Rome 1 and Medieval 2, and have over a hundred hours with Shogun 2 as well.

Unfortunately, Rome 2 misses the mark for me (so far).

Here are my major gripes:

1. The user interface is clunky; even Medieval is better (and that was released over 10 years ago).
Town management is cumbersome, and the technology tree is horrible.
(Why couldn't they stay with the Shogun 2 appearance? It was smooth and intuitive. The unit cards had character and were identifiable. In Rome 2 the buildings in the town/province look like icons not images. Sorry, but I want to see a harbor, or a shipyard, not an icon of a dock or a fish. I want to see flowing seas of grain or a cow in a shed.... the icons on my smart phone have more detail!... what year is it?)

2. The battles aren't fun anymore.
- First of all they're over in a flash, with little strategy required. Just grab everyone, and run them towards the bad guys.... done. When capturing towns, just dash for the middle and beat the timer. Somehow the AI doesn't try too hard to remove you from the capture point. (I won a battle last night outnumbered 5:1 simply by running to the middle of the town and sitting there. I thought, 'oh boy, this'll never work, they're about to round the corner and wipe me out!'... nope, I never saw them. Not sure where they were or what all 2000 of them were doing, but they weren't defending the center of the town, that's for sure.
- Fatigue affects from running? Haven't seen any yet, even tho my guys run everywhere.
- Morale? The AI appears to have none.
- Also, in all previous titles, as far as I can recall, once you positioned your troops in battlefield alignment (ie. Spearmen up front, ranged behind, and cavalry on the flanks) and then grouped them (CTRL+1), you could hold RMB and drag that group anywhere on the map and they'd march there and preserve their formation.... apparently no longer!.... now they reorder themselves into a some order I haven't figured out yet... so much for the use of terrain. UPDATE: pressing ctrl-G after formation locks them into position relative to one another. (Thanks all for the advice)

Look, I love the Total War Games, I'm not trying to be a basher here, but I am less than impressed with Rome 2.
Honestly, if you're on the fence then I suggest you pass for now. Look back a few months form now and see if its gotten better.

I will continue to play because I do love this era in history. I will learn to live with the tech tree and the simple icons and when it comes to battles I will most likely just use the autoresolve button from now on.

Not sure what went wrong. Maybe they're trying to be more like Civ, I think they should stick with being Total War.

Cheers!

UPDATE: 40 hours played, living with imperfection and having fun. yup, having fun.
Yes, battles are too easy and AI is not very challenging yet, but I think CA is working on it.
I'm sticking with my 3 star review until they get their act together and fix lag issues and AI.
Anyone on the fence should watch Angry Joes YouTube review.... He nails it.
If you're a fan of total war you'll buy it, you'll be po'd, then you'll play and enjoy it for what it is and hope it gets better as time goes on.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 5, 2013 5:47:49 AM PDT
Bar282 says:
Hi, quick comment about your group issue. You can group units to stay in formation, use "Ctrl+G" instead of plain "G" and it'll worka as you want it to. Hope this helps.

Posted on Sep 5, 2013 10:38:31 PM PDT
Love your review, I feel the same way as you do. Add in no SLI support at launch and very poor optimizations for Nvidia/AMD cards, it is so dissappointing...

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 4:00:52 AM PDT
RaphL says:
What Bar282 said. You have to make sure the "lock" icon shows when you group them and it will keep the formation intact.

Posted on Sep 8, 2013 7:57:46 AM PDT
So with those pretty damning issues you just cited.... how can you rate this game 3 stars?

Like you said, battles aren't fun. The game is clunky. This game isn't fun period.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2013 6:10:56 PM PDT
outonalimb says:
Thanks you very much for your reply. I discovered this a couple days ago and am much relieved that its still in there. I plan on altering my review to reflect my initial ignorance.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2013 6:16:13 PM PDT
outonalimb says:
Indeed there are issues with this game, lag in campaign and battle, graphics that are less than impressive, confusing icons and clunky and uninformative UI..... But, the core game is still fun the play, the provinces idea is a good one, and there's still somehow that just-one-more-turn syndrome.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2013 7:15:07 PM PDT
P and G says:
I agree,.The interface on Rome 2 is extremely confusing,.I played all of the TW games and was never so 'LOST' as I was with Rome2,.Its SOOOO disappointing that the game is crap,.I was soo excited about this release and it sucks that it isnt what I had hoped for : ( Even if they get the KINKS out,Its nothing what I had hoped for,.Demoralizing

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2013 7:18:47 PM PDT
P and G says:
Yeah,.I dont know if I can trust Creative Assembly again after releasing such a BAD TITLE with soo' much HYPE,.I'm PISSED OFF about the crappiness of ROME 2!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure they could have stunk it up any more than this~!

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 7:02:24 PM PST
C. York says:
Mods will be what keep people playing this game, hopefully CA/ SEGA learned a lesson from all this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2014 6:13:26 AM PST
outonalimb says:
I hope mods save this title, but my initial experience with the game was so sour that I haven't played since October. One day, when I'm bored of everything else I'll check the forums and see what the modding community has done to resurrect the game..... just not yet.... still too soon.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.5 out of 5 stars (324 customer reviews)

$59.95