4.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired by iPhone, returned Galaxy Nexus, happy with Razr Maxx, January 31, 2012
This review is from: Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX 4G Android Phone, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I thought I would upgrade to the iPhone 4S when I was eligible, but I felt blah about it. Everyone around me has an iPhone, which they love, but there were things that excited me more about with the new Android phones. I decided to go with the Galaxy Nexus because of its stellar reviews and high rankings on phone lists. I liked the screen size and resolution, and Android 4.0 is wonderful. However, the connectivity to service was awful. I lost service when making a call when walking out of the Verizon store -- and in a major metropolitan area. I lost service on almost every call I made after that, which was frustrating and disappointing. The change the SIM card at Verizon, which didn't change anything. Service was moderately better on 3G, but I still had problems, so I decided to return it. In addition, the battery life was very short, and it got uncomfortably hot while talking on it during the few times I was able to do so.

The day after I bought the Galaxy Nexus, the Razr Maxx was released, but, since I could only do one return at Verizon, I was hesitant to try another 4G phone. I was resigned to get the iPhone 4S, thinking it was the safe option (upgrades, streamlined opeeration, iTunes, etc.). But, after having the Galaxy Nexus for two days, the iPhone felt so small and heavy, and I knew I couldn't use the widgets that I enjoy with Android. It's silly, but I wanted to be excited about getting a new phone, and I wasn't excited about the iPhone.

While the salesman was returning the Galaxy Nexus and preparing to set me up on the iPhone 4S, I wandered over to the Razr Maxx display. I liked it very much, so I decided to take a chance on another 4G phone, and I have been very happy with my decision.

SCREEN: I just prefer the bigger screen of the current line of Android phones of iPhone. The Razr Maxx screen may not have the much lauded pixel density of the iPhone 4/4S or the Galaxy Nexus, but it is very bright, and I barely notice a difference.

CONNECIVITY: No problems. And 4G really is very fast. I use it at home instead of WiFi since I was grandfather into an unlimited data plan.

PROCESSOR: Very quick. Just an occasional hick-up when going back to the home screen, probably due to the calendar and weather clock widgets I have running there. Not a big deal, and it may improve with ICS.

OPERATING SYSTEM: No, it doesn't have Ice Cream Sandwich, but I am coming from Froyo, and this is much better. I can live happily with it until the ICS update arrives. Also, I am a Google fan, and I would have a difficulty time without navigation from Google Maps, which is something a friend who switched from the original Droid to iPhone misses greatly.

BUILD: I love how it feels. Much more comfortable that the Razr. I'm not using a cover on it yet, and may not put one one due to the great build quality (Kevlar, Gorilla Glass). However, I did put on a screen protector, "just in case!"

And finally, BATTERY: Fantastic. I was so conditioned by my old phone -- and even by two days with the Galaxy Nexus -- to constantly worry about the battery, but I worry no longer. I easily get through a day with moderate to heavy use, and the batter has yet to go below 30%. For me, it's worth it.

I did research ad nauseum when my upgrade was approaching. I learned that no phone is perfect and no phone is for everyone. This one spoke to me, and I am enjoying it very much!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2012 2:41:10 PM PST
Richard says:
glad you're enjoying the phone and good to hear someone else, like myself, is not using a case. nor do i use a screen protector. i had used the htc incredible for two years without a screen protector and never a scratch. the screen was and still is pristine. i do, however, have the maximum insurance protection. i have never had to use it but i imagine that i can replace my phone for a minimal charge. i think it's 50 bucks or something.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 11:48:52 AM PDT
E. Sievers says:
Why did you give it only 4 stars?

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 6:31:02 PM PDT
sounds exactly like the thought process I'm going through as I write... thought about the iPone, and Nexus.. didn't give the Razr much thought because of the earlier model and negative reviews, but with the improvements, I'm in.. was going to wait for the Win 8 phone, but now they're getting some really negative pre-order reviews... thanks for the comments...

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 11:20:36 AM PDT
Sapan Bindal says:
Thank you - i am up for an upgrade and been thinking of the exact same 3 phones...tried 4s for a bit...just hate it compared to android. Had Droid X rooted with custom roms and widgets and themes for 2 years and 4s is just lack-luster from that perspective. + no turn by turn navigation with Gmaps and less free apps as opposed to android. The whole learning curve to jailbreak an iphone may be a personal reason, but from the prelim research it looks like they are still more buggy than rooted androids.

Posted on May 14, 2012 4:05:08 PM PDT
T. Meyer says:
Have you had any issues with the screen cracking?

Posted on May 17, 2012 7:46:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 8:01:26 AM PDT
I just got a Razor Maxx and I love it. It is Awesome. Hubby got a I phone 4s and it is a good phone for him. Like you said a phone is a personal thing and the Razor Maxx just jumped at me and I too was afraid to go THE ANDROID, HOWEVER, I am glad I did cuz even though everyone told me to go for the I phone 4s my stomach felt quizy, I too was not excited and felt confused so I went for (Maxx) and The Razor Maxx just won my heart. The sales person told me to play with the Razor Maxx phone over the weekend then if I did not like it bring it back and he would set me up with the I Phone 4s. by the end of the weekend and when Monday came around I called him and said I just can not give (Maxx) up.. I feel in love with him and the battery life is exceptional great. Heavy playing and usage and still 40% charge left on him after (3) days. Thank you Steff and Udit for allowing me to keep the Razor Maxx over the weekend and extended time allowed or I would have given it back. Not now... IT IS TRULY AMAZING PHONE...... NOTING BUT LOVE (FOR MAXX)LOL

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 8:29:49 AM PDT
Sapan Bindal says:
i was worried too - reading all the reports, but no screen cracking so far...been with us for about 20 days now.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 8:23:49 PM PDT
breezyb27 says:
This review is identical to a review on CNET. Makes me wonder if the review is legit....

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 9:17:04 PM PDT
mate, Verizon does not have a SIM card!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 9:40:46 PM PDT
E. Sievers says:
They do now. I have one in my maxx
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›