ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, October 17, 2010
This review is from: Quicken Home & Business 2011 [Download] [OLD VERSION] (Software Download)
This purchase was a huge disappointment. The software is new and there were only nine reviews, but they were all extremely positive, so I felt confident taking the plunge. I was so excited in fact, that I paid a premium to download rather than wait for UPS. In retrospect, I should have paid more attention to the eerie similarity between the reviews, and in fact they were all from beta testers (shills?) perhaps working off the same talking points. The new version was supposed to run faster and work with twice the number of financial institutions. But this is not what I experienced. I was fairly content with Home and Business 2008. The only reason I downloaded 2011 is because I want to access certain accounts that 2008 cannot, such as my 401K with ADP, my kids 529's with New York State, and a savings/loan account with Sallie Mae. Turns out none of these accounts are accessible with 2011! It was a complete waste and it actually runs slower than 2008. Don't be snookered like me, save your money.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2010 8:05:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2011 9:46:55 AM PST
I think you're dead on with the shill comment. I wouldn't doubt some of these beta testers are actually Intuit employees. I also reviewed this pile of garbage with 1 star. Maybe we can swing the average review down so that Intuit will start paying attention to its customers. Haha! Funny, I know.

I am willing to be reasonable if they would only support their product instead of dumping these bug-ridden apps on us and then telling us, "wait til next year for the fixes," and just buy 2012. Their support team is unresponsive and ignorant.

By the way, you know both of us would've had to upgrade this Spring regardless. Due to the 3 year sunsetting rule.

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 9:41:45 AM PST
Gia says:
Naomi, how would you compare it with 2008?! I have that version and I understood that they fixed the bank transfers by not doubling transactions when downloading. This was my biggest issue ever, spending hours trying to figure out why the balances were out of whack after a longer period of downloads.

Posted on Jan 13, 2011 9:14:10 AM PST
M. Fields says:
but would you buy it if you had no previous versions?

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 9:04:08 AM PST
D. Moffitt says:
I believe your review is accurate, but you are missing one HUGE thing. Quicken (Intuit) is forcing those of us with version 2008 to upgrade anyways as they discontinue our ability to download transactions on software three years old. Which to me really is what makes thier software work. Without auto downloading, it would'nt be very good at all. So don't be disappointed, you are good for three years. That's thier sunset policy, "every three years". I guess we will have to get "snookered" every three years until thier is a better alternative. Can't see myself going to MS Money.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2011 1:21:56 PM PST
A. Dynes says:
Cant go to Microsoft Money anyway....that's what I'm currently using and they are ending support for it on January 31st, 2011. So now I have to pick something else....and it's looking like this is my only option.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2011 12:51:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2011 1:15:15 PM PDT
How did you guys miss from the makers of Quicken? It's FREE and easy to use and best of all, it's online! Your data don't need to be stored on your computer anymore. No need to worry about some hacker having access to your Quicken information. (From the Makers of Quicken)

I was able to enter in my bank account, Sallie Mae loans, 401K, and even my Upromise account worked perfectly through I think this is the BEST solution to all of the problems that you guys are experiencing here. You should give a look. Another cool feature is you can access your info straight from your smart phone. Information mobility is quite important these days.

So give a try. It's FREE and easy to use!

Update [3/17/2011]:

Here's another FREE one by LendingTree: (From LendingTree)

Yet one more.

There was another one, but I can't seem to remember it right now. I'll be back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2011 8:13:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2011 8:14:47 PM PST
B. Quindel says:

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 4:21:02 AM PST
WordPros says:
Thank you for your review. I'm a Quicken customer who received a ransom note from Quicken notifying me that I had until April 27, 2011 to upgrade OR I would lose all ability to download my transactions from my financial institutions. Apparently, they are now going to do this to all of us. According to the letter I received (with a convenient $99 upgrade disk enclosed), my purchased version of Quicken will work normally for 2 years, then I can upgrade or.... you get the picture.

There's no doubt that this program beats using a handwritten check register, but I absolutely HATE being held hostage & it really negatively impacts their brand (most hated software in America for decades?). Eventually, they'll all corral us into subscription-only software services, subscription-only movies, etc., but for PC pioneers, this is painful!

I wish Amazon would offer a cloud accounting service for small business at a reasonable price. That, I would willingly subscribe to. But to buy something that becomes disabled after a certain point in time is offensive. And the fact you noted that it's even SLOWER makes me want to pay the learning-curve price and move to Peachtree (though I have NO idea if it's better, worse, or the same). Thanks again for your review!

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 5:38:12 AM PST
BUT The only issue is, that Intuit (QUICKEN), REQUIRES upgrades every few years, or it becomes disabled. so for Example: you can no longer use QUICKEN 2007. The 2011 version is only good to 2014,and so forth. THUS, the public is forced to upgrade or buy new versions every few years, anyway. EVERYONE who uses quicken, is FORCED to use the latest version every few years. It would be nice if Quicken would allow the old versions to work, unsupported or not, but that is not the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2011 9:40:28 AM PST
A. Dynes says:
The only "advantage" is if you buy Quicken and TurboTax bundled you can get it at a good price (usually with a discount or rebate). I got both Quicken Home and Business + TurboTax with state and eFile for $80 plus there is a $25 rebate.

The forced upgrade still remains but the cost isn't $99 for the upgrade alone. I'm not defending Quicken but I'm am saying it's not as horrible as everyone is making it out to be (I'll be paying roughly $40 for the software after discounts and rebates....for three years of a program I'm ok with that).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›