5.0 out of 5 stars Still the very best for learning and using WordPress, August 6, 2010
This review is from: WordPress For Dummies, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
This is Lisa Sabin-Wilson's 3rd Edition of her bedrock "WordPress For Dummies". I own all three editions and each is thicker and filled with more knowledge than the prior edition. If anyone asks me how to learn, manage and use WordPress, this is what I recommend.

It is truly A through Z coverage. Sabin-Wilson is, in my opinion, one of the best technical writers around. Her language is clear, uncluttered and free of artifice.

Logically enough, she begins at the very beginning explaining what WordPress can do for you. To her credit, she doesn't hold it out as a panacea for all that ails you. She doesn't promise you that you'll earn millions or will win public office. Sabin-Wilson simply tells you how to set up your blog and then moves progressively into the minutiae of creating and managing a WordPress blog. (And yes, operating a blog is like most other things in the world - a series of small details that you must repeatedly (i.e., daily or thereabouts) attend to. In fact, one of the chapters is appropriately entitled "Establishing Your Blog Routine".

"Wordpress For Dummies" is thorough. The WordPress Dashboard is explained as is the use and, perhaps more importantly, the customization of themes. (With WordPress, your blog or website can look however you like it, but getting it right is not necessarily simple.)

Another important Sabin-Wilson covers in some detail is using WordPress as a Content Management System. Although she treats it in some detail, I personally wish that she would write a book on this subject alone.

In all, none of the other WordPress books I've read - and there are quite a few of them - measure up to the standard that Linda Sabin-Wilson has set in all three editions of "WordPress For Dummies". Each edition has been extensively revised to stay as current as possible with WordPress releases.

A total delight to read and use, it is, in my opinion, the gold standard for learning, managing and using WordPress.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 8, 2010 8:47:16 PM PDT
Jerry, thank you so much for your thoughtful review - - I'm thrilled that you have found my book to be such a helpful resource. Cheers!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2010 10:51:02 PM PDT
Lisa:

The thanks and appreciation go to you.

You've been at my side since I first started experimenting with WordPress - and I happily anticipate your presence with new editions in the future.

Thank you for all you have done to explain WordPress (and BuddyPress, too).

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 4:39:03 PM PDT
euphonically says:
nice to know these are "unbiased" reviews. kinda spoils the authenticity of a review when the author is complimenting it. authors should refrain from replying - taints the review.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:53:32 PM PDT
That is truly a silly comment - not to mention more than a tad insulting.

I'm flattered that the author even noticed by review, much less took the time to express her thanks.

My reviews express my opinions without reservation. This is not the first time an author has thanked me for kind words. And I should also point out that I have been attacked by authors who did not appreciate my candid opinion.

If you think an author doing something so human as thanking a reviewer "taints" a review, you are pathetic in a way.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 7:25:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2010 7:25:53 PM PDT
euphonically says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 7:57:53 PM PDT
"anybody with a brain would become suspicious"

No. Rational people wouldn't. But paranoids would.

"both the author and you lose credibility for your behind-grabbing and mutual adoration"

You are truly pathetic.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 8:26:26 PM PDT
euphonically - I appreciate your opinion here, however; as the author, I try to make an effort to thank everyone who has taken the time to write a review of my book(s) - - whether the review is positive or negative. Admittedly, I have not always done this consistently over the years...but I do try my best to do it when I am able.

Recently, Amazon.com makes it much easier for authors to notice when new reviews are left via email notification. Check my other books on Amazon, it's not rare for me to leave a note of appreciation for the time a reader takes to leave a review, I appreciate the time and thoughtfulness of anyone who reads my book and feels compelled to leave a review...it is a practice I plan to continue.

I am a big fan of Michael Palmer's books. I once wrote a review of one of his titles and I received feedback from him, thanking me for the review. I was impressed that he both noticed the review and took the time to express his appreciation. It's pretty standard practice, I think.

Cheers!

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 10:50:39 PM PDT
W. Easley says:
Jerry,
Thank you for the excellent review of this product. I am a user of Wordpress and sometimes do not understand the help I get from the site itself. This book sounds like what I need.

BTW I think it is nice that the author commented on your review.

Wayne

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2010 12:00:49 AM PDT
Wayne:

Thanks for the kind words. I really do appreciate the feedback, whether from a prospective reader, another reader or the author. Right now, I'd love a "be all, end all" book on using WordPress as a Content Management System. I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much, just not getting it or perhaps should be exploring something like Drupal.

Ah yes, the adventures never stop! ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2011 10:28:41 PM PST
You're right - it wasn't a silly comment. It was a totally dumb ass one. How moronic and tedious can a person be? And pompous.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (37 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Jerry Saperstein
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: Evanston, IL USA