5.0 out of 5 stars MO Momofuku please, December 14, 2009
This review is from: Momofuku (Hardcover)
Genius. I NEVER would've thought cherry tomatoes and sesame oil went so well together!
Many of the recipes are time consuming. But it's care, quality and skill that makes good restaurants stand out. Momofuku's recipes certainly rule out the ordinary.
I am Chinese-American and make my soups by simmering bones for 6 hrs, that is what is takes - so David Chang's ramen broth is the real deal. This is the first I heard about adding tare, that must be the killer deal. No MSG here.

Some of the reviews scared me off at first but not all the recipes are difficult. I made the braised pork belly. Dude. This is an EASY recipe. Marinate w/salt & sugar overnight and stick it in the oven. Made the steam bun thing and all. Yummy, worthwhile and actually easy. Oh, and it's like one of their flagship dishes.

He is Korean-American and he actually made Kimchi better. I tried the nappa and cucumber kimchi and it rocks. So much better than the standard kimchi, it's got lots ginger, sugar and fish sauce too.
I don't think I'll ever play around with food glue or make deep fry pork rinds at home but this cookbook is not titled, 'home cookin momofuku'. It does, however, makes you appreciate what it takes to prepare their food.

This is a cookbook that requires some asian ingredients and cooking methods. So if you've never even purchased a chinese or korean cookbook or never made anything but a stir-fry, the recipes may seem daunting. If you don't make any of recipes, it teaches a few things and it's also a good read.

David Chang is a young, energetic and creative chef who takes you down the path of his success. He is very entertaining so it also fun to read (minus his expletives). You can feel his passion, hard work and he repeatedly credits those who have supported and helped him to where he is. How many chefs do that in their cookbooks?
I am hoping to visit his restaurant when I'm in NYC next spring. Just don't know which one yet.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 25, 2010 8:16:19 PM PDT
Honey Doll says:
Go to Momofuku Ssam Bar. We went last weekend and it was pure genious. I never knew food could taste so good. Try the pork buns. We can't wait to go back. It's a party in your mouth.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:38:58 AM PST
Suzanne Tran says:
I just purchased the book and can't wait for it to come. I made pork belly and steam buns before so I can't wait to try his version. I'm Vietnamese and when I cook Pho ( beef noodle sooup) I simmer the broth for 6-8 hrs so the cooking time in this book doesn't bother me. I will cook his time-consuming dishes on the weekend. Thank you for your reveiw.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (197 customer reviews)

$40.00 $27.19