Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING boots for hiking / everyday use., June 11, 2010
This review is from: Hi-Tec Men's Altitude IV Hiking Boot (Apparel)
I have wide feet and somewhat high arches, which has made finding really good shoes for general wear somewhat difficult. And for that reason, I have stuck with New Balance shoes since my undergraduate days. They are well made, and have versions designed for various activities, including running, cross-training, and walking. And very importantly, they come in widths other than "medium," and provide the maximum benefit to my feet.

Recently on a trip to western North Carolina, I went hiking with a group of friends from the area. I soon found that my best New Balance shoes were not up to the task: the terrain soon overwhelmed them, and as the day went on, their ability to support my 200 lb. body failed. By the end of the day, my feet hurt so bad that I could barely walk. I was told that I absolutely needed to find a good pair of hiking boots if I was going to continue hiking.

I am one of those people who first do a lot of research before I make a new purchase, comparing features, price, availability, technical reviews, and feedback from those who have already made their choice. In the price range I was looking for, the signs all pointed to Hi-Tech. Lots of folks carried them, but Amazon's price was clearly the best. And so, tentatively, I ordered a pair.

I have now been wearing these boots for three months, and I have yet to put my New Balance back on for everyday use. I still wear business shoes to work, and the New Balance to run in, but the Hi-Tech Altitude IVs are absolutely my favorite. Why?

1. The fit was perfect from the first time I put them on. In fact, I would have to say my feet felt better in them almost immediately. The width was exactly as I needed, and the arch was just high enough to give me full support for a full day and still enable me to do everything I need.

2. They needed no "break-in period" and felt right from the first time I wore them. Even the desert boots I wore in the Middle East needed some period to adjust to my feet and to the way I walk, and the steel-toed work boots I bought from Wal-Mart still hurt my feet (after occasional wear for over a year). But these feel like an extension of my feet and skin.

3. They are waterproof, yet still allow my feet to breathe. Even my kids no longer run out of the room when I take my boots off (which used to be a regular joke around my house).

4. They seem to be wearing like iron. After three months, I cannot see any wear at all, not even negligible amounts. So I won't be buying another pair for a while.

All in all, these boots have my STRONGEST recommendation. You may find more costly boots, but I challenge you to find any that are significantly better.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 29, 2014 2:35:25 PM PDT
Chandan says:
now that almost near to 4 years passing since your initial review, can you summarize how they did/ are doing ?

IT will help to know their real run experience. ..

Many thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2014 3:10:24 PM PDT
J. Arrington says:
Sure, be glad to comment. I wear them five days a week, both inside and outside, and as a paramedic, I frequently have to go places most folks would not typically venture. That includes climbing up steel scaffolding and on aluminum ladders. From my perspective, they are holding up great. The soles have worn a bit, and have perhaps 40% of their original depth remaining, but the tread pattern is still not only visible but functional. The leather toes now only hold a shine for a couple of days (rather than a full week, as they did when they were new), but after all this time, the surface has been scuffed and abraded. Interestingly enough, I have had to replace the laces only once. These are truly military grade boots, and I give them my STRONGEST recommendation.

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 2:52:35 AM PST
TerryAdler says:
My son is taking a two week hiking trip at Philmont. Have you hiked in these boots for two weeks? What are your thoughts about it?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2016 7:42:20 PM PST
J. Arrington says:
I have absolutely hiked extended periods in theses boots, especially in the mountains of western North Carolina. If the boots are new, I would recommend that he spend a little time every day wearing the boots, even if only around the house. This will allow the boots to conform to his feet, and will go a long way toward avoiding potential injury and/or blisters. I would also recommend that he buy a good conditioner for the leather (e.g., Doc Martens Wonder Balsam, or Obenauf's Heavy Duty Preservative), and use it every 3- to 6-months to keep the leather supple, flexible, and waterproof.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›