Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift from the survivalists' god, July 8, 2010
This review is from: Bahco 396-LAP Laplander Folding Saw, 9-Inch Blade, 7 TPI (Tools & Home Improvement)
I'll write this review in the same format as I write my knife reviews. I absolutely love this saw, it is definitely the premier foresting saw on the market right now in both quality and price. I find it really hard to compare this folding saw to others because well, other saws don't compare.

Pros:
Price, the only way to match this saw is to pay twice as much (and the 396-Lap will still probably win)
Cuts on both push and pull of blade unlike most bargain saws that only cut on pulls
The safety on the saw is a necessity, the safety is extremely tight and won't close (or even open!) without the depression of the safety
Cuts like a champ, I just cut through a 7 inch diameter tree in 45 seconds... a real screw you to axes and machetes everywhere
Smooth woodcutting with minimal blade catches or sticks
Ultra light weight
Durable
Comfortable
Easily fits in my tac-vest

Cons:
The blade is significantly thinner than handle it folds into giving it a slight loose feeling while folded
Leather wrist strap... I'm not a fan of any leather wrist strap, I prefer nylon but others could like leather
No foresting tool should be ALL GREEN because if you drop it in the woods you won't find it! please wrap some orange tape on the saw handle before you bring it anywhere

Why pay 30 dollars for a saw as opposed to the usual folding saw that costs 15-20? Because all other folding saws are garbage, this is literally the only folding saw I've used that wasn't more trouble than it was worth (its actually quite the contrary, I can't live without this tool). Don't try to look for a better folding saw because you won't find one, you won't even come close!

EDIT- seeing how I have never used a silky, i would like to clarify my statement... this saw is hands down better than the saws you will find in hardware stores, however if you buy a silky you will probably be equally satisfied.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2012 11:40:35 AM PST
Just a quick question, since I'm a backpacker too. How much does it weigh?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 4:54:35 PM PST
Not exactly sure because I'm not around it right now but only a few ounces, the plastic handle is super light weight and the blade is really thin so it weighs around the same as a cheap pocket knife (I think)...its not heavy for its size that's for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 8:11:01 PM PDT
Tony says:
This is one of those items that is worth it's weight in gold. I have one already which I carry on my pack trips up in the Emigrant and I'm about to order another one. Worth its weight in gold ...

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 11:59:26 PM PDT
Nice review. I also have the Bahco and while I think it's a great saw I think the Silky is slightly superior. As an added bonus, the Silky isn't green! The Large tooth model has a red handle.

Again, I like your review and the Laplander.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 6:19:04 AM PDT
ILuv2shop says:
Which Silky does this saw compare most to? I was looking at the Silky Gomboy Medium 210....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 7:28:15 AM PDT
I have no experience with silkys, but I would say it is not a medium and would most likely be cagegorized as a large pruning saw and it appears to be most like the accel 210 large except the handle is all plastic and it has a different locking mech.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 11:02:06 AM PDT
Tn John says:
It almost compares to the Silky Super Accel 21 go to amazon and look. I got the one with the with large teeth. But do not confuse my writing this as putting the Bahco Laplander down in any way it is a fabulous cutter I know because I have one also. The Super Accel has a slightly longer blade. I also have a few other brands that are absolute JUNK. The Bahco is a little less money than the Silky but either one will serve you very well. There are some comparisons on youtube that are worth watching.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 3:38:29 AM PDT
It's similar to the Gomboy and Pocketboy. I have a couple of Bahcos and a couple of Silky's. My Pocketboy is the RED one, LG teeth. My Bigboy is 360 mm in Yellow (Xtra LG teeth). Obviously the Bigboy is much larger than the Bahco but it competes with chainsaws, not other folding saws. Silky saws are more expensive but a cut above everything else I've tried.

The closest thing to the Silky that I've tried is the Corona Razor Tooth saw. It outcuts the Bahco by a hair but still lags slightly behind the Silky.

This is just my experience. Note that while I've tested these saws on lumber of various types including oak, most of my actual field use is on Elm, Pine and Ash. If I was a hardwoodsman things might be different.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 5:16:56 AM PDT
Hi

I read your review. The sign of a good saw is when it cut on pull stroke ONLY.

When it is designed to cut on a pull stroke it provides fast, clean and extremely smooth cutting action.

So, I can not agree with your comment saying that a cutting action both way is sign of good saw.

One of the comment you could say about this saw is that the Bacho saw are made in Sweden. I don't say that Bacho is not a good saw, my comment is only base on your statement about both way cutting action.

For the color, you have the choice of the orange one Bahco Laplander Folding Saw 20 cm

I work in the wood on regular basis and I use Silky Poket Boy 170 (large Teeth), a Silky Ibuky (large Teeth) and of course all kinds of pruner size and 2 chainsaw (Husjkavarna 49 and 71 cc) for serious job. Take note that I don't buy my Silky on Amazon since they are more expensive (japanese saw) but on the Silky web site.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 5:17:11 AM PDT