4.0 out of 5 stars PS3 Unboxing, September 28, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 250GB Uncharted 3: Game of the Year Bundle (Video Game)
Length:: 2:53 Mins

Hi, I just wanted to share my unboxing video of this new ultra slim PS3. I know that it's not really available for people to check out at the moment as not many places have it in stock. I had a hard time finding a video or photo of just how the new manual disc sliding door works. In any case, you can see it right on my video.

One thing I discovered after this video was filmed was that there's actually a small ejection button on the front lip of the unit about 4 inches to the left of the PS3 logo. It's a mechanical switch that releases the spring loaded door so that it slides open. I think most people will probably just bypass that and use their hands to open and close. It's a lot faster and easier.

The overall size of the unit is noticeably smaller even from the the latest model. I am swapping from the original launch FAT version which is really fat next to this. Also, it runs fairly quiet and cooler: only a small whirl and heat from the lower back of the unit.

Yes, the unit construction does feel a bit cheap as Sony no doubt is looking to make as much money back from their investment in the PS3. I know that they were losing money for many years after the introduction. But like I said, I'm swapping out a FAT that I got on launch day when it was introduced so it's worth it to me. The FAT always put out so much heat into the room that it was almost impossible to play it during the summer. I would rather they have included a internal loading disc drive like the predecessors. If you have the previous version it's not worthwhile for you to upgrade just for a reduction in power consumption and a smaller footprint.

Update:
Sept. 30, 2012 - I wanted to add a couple more thoughts from the comments section. First, after playing with the unit for a couple of days I can say that the disc drive is definitely louder during game play. In certain games you can clearly hear the drive head moving from sector to sector. Whereas the FAT was nearly inaudible during game play, the new super slim model has a loud drive sound which is amplified by the thin skinned hollow chamber of the drive compartment. Second, I weighed the new unit and it weighs approximately 4.7lbs.

Oct. 7, 2012 - Now that I've had time to play with the console for a week I would say that I noticed an improvement in the display output from the original FAT. I guess they improved the HDMI driver chipset used and the picture from games and movies are definitely sharper than the launch model. It's also noticeably cooler than then FAT. The room no longer gets hot from the console being on.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2012 8:00:23 PM PDT
MR J says:
great video, can you comment on loudness of discs spinning vs the noise form the fat one?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 6:51:39 AM PDT
JCC says:
Hi, great question. Because the unit has a thinner skin, especially on top of the unit where the disc tray is located, the spinning sound is louder. I can't really quantify it, qualitatively I would say it's about 2 to 3 times as loud as the FAT. When you first turn on the unit it makes a loud click as the disc spins up. Also, you can hear it whirling with occasional clicks as it spins to different parts of the disc. It's what you would imagine a disc drive would sound like if placed in a spacious hollow plastic container.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 3:19:41 PM PDT
Hey could you confirm me the weight of ps3 slim ???

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 10:01:11 AM PDT
JCC says:
Yes, it's just under 4.7 lbs.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 11:19:24 AM PDT
that is the unboxing weight or the console weight ???

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 12:29:48 PM PDT
The loud drive issue was the nail in the coffin for me. As some of my comments in other reviews indicated I would, I've just went ahead and grabbed one of the original slims to replace my fat 60gb. Quieter fan than the fat, quieter disc reading than the super slim, plus the slot disc loader. Seriously, I don't know why anyone would want the super-slim except for the bigger hard drive.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 12:42:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 12:44:05 PM PDT
JCC says:
Sebastian, console weight only.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 12:43:45 PM PDT
Chitown.

I also wanted one that sucks up less power and generate less heat. This one does that.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 1:13:31 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 30, 2012 1:15:19 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 7:05:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2012 7:08:41 PM PDT
John Doe says:
obviously, its smaller & lighter...thats great...although I do not know anyone that totes theirs around. For me this redesign is just ultra cheap looking, specifically that top door and foreman grill ribbed design. Newer isnt always better... I'll pass, good luck w/ yours however.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›