ARRAY(0xa5ac7870)

4.0 out of 5 stars Gives you more and less, November 17, 2011
This review is from: The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook: 2,000 Recipes from 20 Years of America's Most Trusted Cooking Magazine (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been a big fan of Cook's Illustrated for a while and I own a bunch of their cookbooks. Here's the scoop on this one.

It offers more recipes than any other book they've got.
Many of the recipes appear in other books.
This one offers a short "Why it works" intro to each recipe, but unlike Cook's Illustrated "Best Recipe" book, it doesn't give a detailed explanation of all the things they tried on the way to the final recipe.

Should you buy this? Here's a little decision tree:

Do you already own Cook's Illustrated Best Recipe cookbook?
-- If yes, then don't buy this -- too much duplication.
-- If no, then are you interested in the the recipe development process?
---- If so, then buy Cook's Illustrated's Best Recipe cookbook.
---- If not, then buy this book (The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook) -- it's more complete.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 15 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2011 8:55:47 AM PST
Sandy Kay says:
Thanks much for answering my biggest question about this cookbook. I already have The Best Recipe and The New Best Recipe and wondered if there would be enough new in this to make it worth buying. Now I can save my $$ for a different cookbook!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 6:11:41 PM PST
I second this comment; that is exactly what I wanted to know and exactly how I might have explained it myself. Thank you.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 5:48:49 AM PST
Thanks for the info. I, like so many people have the best recipe book as well as soups and stews, baking, cover and bake and international! So I will take a pass.

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 2:42:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2012 2:35:56 AM PST
Suzanne Tran says:
Thank you for a your review. I owned over 30 of their books and after reading your review, I will take a pass on this book as well. I love all their cookbooks but don't want repeat recipes. I noticed that they do reprinted duplicate recipes in some of their books as well. But it is worth buying the books for new recipes. Everyting I cooked from their books is a winner the first time around. I don't regret buying all their books. Your money is went spent. Thanks!

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 8:24:50 AM PST
B. Sli says:
This is a perfect definition. This is our first cookbook of theirs, so we weren't worried about duplication. While I do like reading about how they came to their final recipe, the lack of it was not a show-stopper for us, either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 10:37:21 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 14, 2012 10:41:19 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 11:19:49 AM PST
Love a logical if/then review that is succinct and clear. Genuinely helpful in making a decision. Thanks!

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 3:57:46 PM PST
Jason Wirth says:
All reviews should have an if-then flow like yours! That was very, very helpful. It should be the new paradigm for reviews.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 11:36:39 AM PST
One of the best reviews I've read on Amazon, ever, in the past 10 years.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 2:20:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2012 2:20:56 PM PDT
Isabelle says:
Thanks for the review, I saw this book at Costco for $24 and I almost bought it, and then I decided to see what Amazon said. I do not own any of their books, but I have gotten the magazine in the past and really enjoyed it. I was tempted to get this until I saw that you said it was a recompilation and a lot of background, which I really was not looking for. So I ordered the Best Recipes as you suggested, and am looking forward to that.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›