4.0 out of 5 stars More thoughtful than medela, ameda, July 14, 2010
This review is from: Philips AVENT BPA Free ISIS iQ Duo Twin Electric Breast Pump, White (Baby Product)
I have been pumping full time for five months and this is my third pump. I also have the medela harmony (manual) and the ameda purely yours (double electric). Of the three, I like this one the best, by far.

As a side note, I looked at the medela freestyle when I was shopping for a new pump (my ameda's crappy loud motor has already worn down), but it was much more expensive and it had a lot of whistles and bells that I didn't really feel I needed. So, having not used the freestyle, I can't really say which is better.

PROS:

- It is quieter than the ameda, but it's no mouse. My husband sleeps through it fine.
- I like being able to control the suction.
- This pump may have more parts, but they are so easy to clean! This pump is much easier to clean than either of my other pumps. It's the main reason I got this over the medela pis (which is set up about the same as the medela harmony) -- I have washed it by hand and in the dishwasher. NO PROBLEM. Just to demonstrate the difference, the way the medela pump is set up, you cannot get the some of the inner parts, not even with the little nipple brushes. If you don't clean the medela pump right away, it gets awful. I have to use a toothpick to clean parts of it. With this pump, though, you can easily reach all parts.
- This pump is made very very well. The parts for my other two look/feel very cheap. These parts are so much more durable. If I weren't pumping exclusively, I wouldn't feel I needed to buy any spare parts (see below in the cons section).
- This pump has covers! No more throwing the open pump parts around! You can cap off the open flange and where the pump meets the bottle. Much more sanitary!
- I've read reviews by people who say that using this pump gets messy because milk puddles around the massage petals. Well, a little bit of milk does pool, but I have that problem with any pump. I wear a pumping bra, and I find that when I release suction, the milk gets caught between the flanges and the petals, which hold it in there. I find that if I remove the petal and hold the bottle under it, the milk drops right into the bottle! Bottom line: this is less messy than any of my other pumps.
- I can pump more in slightly less time. There is a learning process for this pump, as it's different than my other two, but once you get it, it's more efficient. And complete control of the speed and suction is excellent!
- For this price (I got mine on sale for $210) they really did put a lot of thought and consideration into this pump. They thought of almost everything.

CONS:

- My other pumps use standard size bottles, and Avent makes it clear that their pumps are not standard size. I knew this beforehand, but I'm still a little sad about it. They make you use ALL of their equipment, and their bottles are much more expensive than the cheap little gerber ones that for some reason are my daughter's favorite. Also, I'd like to be able to pump directly into storage bags, but since Ameda does not make any, I cannot.
- WARNING: not everything listed in the box comes with this pump! There are no spare parts for the pump (there are extra lids for the bottles. It does not come with all the parts needed to make it a manual pump!
- There is a trick to using this pump -- you have to have it set up perfectly or you'll get really frustrated really fast. You need to pump next to a table where you can put the bases for the bottles so they don't come over, and you have to be sitting on a relatively flat surface. So although the bag for this pump is excellent, the pump isn't very portable. I can't vouch for using it in a pumping room at work, because I never have...
- This isn't that huge a deal, but as a side note: I was so impressed when I saw that this pump comes with completely removable insulated milk storage bags and cold packs--I thought "they really did think of everything!" Then I used my cold pack in my diaper bag (it has those typical side pockets for bottles, so I stuck a thin gerber bottle and the pack in it for a short trip). When I removed the bottle, I found that the cheap cold pack had broken and leaked the blue gel all over my bottle and my diaper bag! My diaper bag is machine washable, and I had to wash it to get out all of the blue goo. So yes, the pump is great, but be careful with the cheap cold packs!

Overall, this pump was excellent for what I'm using it for (pumping in one single spot at home multiple times a day). You can tell it's made with nicer materials than any of my other pumps. It just feels sturdier, and it's more sanitary, and they really did think of almost everything. DEFINITELY the best pump for this price!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]