3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing transfer, October 10, 2010
This review is from: Beauty and the Beast (Three-Disc Diamond Edition Blu-ray/DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging) (Blu-ray)
We all know that "Beauty & the Beast" is a "5 star" movie. It's too bad this transfer is not. This is exactly the reason Amazon needs a two-rating system. One for the movie & the other for the actual product. Nobody is getting their movie reviews from Amazon, believe me. What we need to know is if the DVD or Blu-ray is good.

So, let me start by pointing out the good. You get all 3 versions of the movie. The sound is excellent. Very level, deep when it need to be & the music sounds clear & full. Colors in the movie are bright, while the darks are perfect, with no sign of artifacts in them.

Now we get to the bad stuff. Let's face it, when we're buying any kind of video product, the picture is the most important thing. If the picture stinks, the whole think stinks. And although the picture on this Blu-ray doesn't stink, it's not perfect. Far from perfect in fact.

Let's start with the first problem, the lines. In hand-drawn animation, the lines are everything. If they are not constant & clear, the characters lose some of their realism. The lines in Beauty & the Beast are very thin, which is great for details. However, digital media is just not able to handle thin lines correctly. Several times pieces of a line will disappear into the color behind it. Most noticeably on Cogworth's face. His clock face will come through & "bloom" over most of the lines on his face, losing most of the detail. But the main problem with the lines in this transfer are the white "halos" around them. It seems like they used edge enhancements on the characters. But I'm not 100% sure this is what they did, as this halo never appears on any of the backgrounds. All I know is that at certain times, characters will have these halos surrounding their lines. The Beast takes the brunt of this & looks terrible in every shot. Just check out the sharp ends of his fur to see what I mean. Gaston also suffers from this, especially his face. What I did notice is that for the first half of the film, the lines seem to have been drawn with a dark brown color. Later on, the lines are black & this halo problem lessens. So I'm thinking that the problem is the digital media of Blu-Ray, even though it's high-def is not able to handle the dark brown lines against any brown-based back (flesh, brown fur, tan). When I saw this film at an IMAX theater, I did notice some of the same problems with the lines. So maybe the problem isn't even the transfer, but the actual film itself. Maybe the transfer is just so high-detail it's showing the film's flaws. In any case, these line problems can be distracting at times & I found myself noticing them & focusing on them, rather than the movie itself. Which is not a good thing.

Other video problems include graininess within certain colors, especially yellows or gold, like Lumiere. There is also an annoying strobe like problem, when the action seems to be going fast. This was most noticeable when Maurice is escaping the wolves.

To finish up, we all know the movie is great. Unfortunately, this film just doesn't look as good as let's say Pinocchio or Snow White. Which is kind of amazing, considering those movies are 50+ years older than this one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2010 5:37:40 PM PDT
Totally agree. Almost sad I paid the money! I still have the old laserdisc edition and the picture actually looks better on that in some places!

Posted on Oct 21, 2010 6:27:19 PM PDT
Serg says:
It's a cartoon! Blu ray itself far from mind blowing technology but much better looking picture. And I do not know what you talking about but this blu ray B&B looks great. It comes with DVD in completion also. Just compare. And if you not blind you'll see big difference. Blu ray has much clear picture and more contrast.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2010 6:43:43 PM PDT
F. Strat says:
You obviously did not read my review very well. Sure Blu-Ray is sharper, better contrast, has better colors, etc.. But this transfer has a lot of problems, all of which I point out. And if you can't see that, then, as you say, you blind.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2010 7:28:18 AM PDT
Kristina says:
I hate to admit it, but I agree with F. Strat. It's still a great movie, but I popped in the dvd immediately after watching and noticing some of the problems in the blu-ray. Yes, blu-ray gives the movie much richer and brighter colors (the first scene of the woods and castle especially shows this). However, the thing that got me was all the graininess of the picture- it lost its magic. The dvd kind of "softened" the background and, for me, actually made the characters look more real. I'm glad I own both the dvd and blu-ray in the package, but I agree with F. Strat, the blu-ray shows the tiny drawing flaws in the film.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2010 5:10:17 PM PDT
Ben W says:
Thank you, I was wondering if the DVD was a good product compared with the Blu-ray. Now the only question is, should one just buy the older DVD if it can be found?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2010 5:51:54 PM PDT
F. Strat says:
The DVD is an excellent product. As with most Disney animated film DVDs, the transfers are real high quality. Like I say in my review of the Blu-Ray, the picture on the Blu-Ray is very sharp & clear. But it may be too clear. The more I look at it, the more I think that it's just too clear & is showing the flaws. It's just very distracting to watch the Blu-Ray & I find I enjoy the DVD more.

Posted on Nov 4, 2010 7:07:57 AM PDT
C. Miller says:
To F Strat,

Do you know for sure if you have an original Disney dvd or a knockoff/bootleg version that looks like Disney? I've been reading reviews to decide if I want to buy this or not and some people have said that they received knockoffs from Amazon sellers. Most noticeably the discs had the name of the movie on the inner ring of the playing surface. Can you clarify this for me? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2010 7:54:09 AM PDT
F. Strat says:
Definitely an original Disney.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 9:31:50 AM PST
C. Miller says:
Thanks for the information. That helps me make a decision about buying this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2010 7:34:15 AM PST
Definitely agree with F. Strat...I thought it was my new 1080P tv at first but after trying other Blu-rays, which DID NOT have this bizarre effect, I realized it was this Blu-ray in particular with the unnatural "white lines" on the faces of the characters in Beauty and the Beast. The DVD in this set did not show this 'artifact' at all and was only detectable on the Blu-ray copy which was very distracting and annoying and reverted to watching the DVD!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›