5.0 out of 5 stars Talk about a gatet that makes life easier! Fantastic, June 11, 2011
This review is from: Panasonic KX-TG7643M dect 6.0 Link-to-Cell Bluetooth Cordless Phone with 3-Handsets (Office Product)
I had no idea this Cell to Cordless Bluetooth feature existed and it is one of the single best technology investments I have made in a very long time.

I have a personal cell phone, a work cell phone (Blackberry), and a home phone land line, and for years have had to either carry my cell phones around the house with me or go running over to where ever they are charging at the moment when a call comes in.

Well no more. The Panasonic KX-TG7643M came to my attention while looking around for a Father's Day gift. It is a Speaker Phone, Answering Machine, has Battery Back-Up, and I got the Base Unit and 3 handset option, and the keypad in the base unit.

First the star feature, Bluetooth link to my cell phone. Out of the box the manual is a little daunting and obviously Panasonic knew this and had a quick start on the inside cover for very basic operation but including cell phone pairing and a cheat sheet in addition to the full manual for more commonly used advanced feature, very nice balance of documentation, a rare thing these days.

Out of the box it was about 5 minutes to the point of trying to link my first cell to it, less than a minute later it was done, same for my second cell phone.

Next I transferred in the phone books from each cell phone, and in under a minute for each it added the 300 or so numbers on my two cell phones and the nice surprise is that it keeps each phone book in it's own group, however you can look at them combined also.

So for some test, the buttons for Cell 1 and Cell 2 had turned green meaning they were ready to go so I used Cell one to call cell 2 and answered cell 2 from the Panasonic base unit, worked perfectly.

Next I called out using Cell 1 and then Cell 2, again both worked perfectly. I then have my friend call each of the cell phones and I had configured the Panasonic to use the cell phones own ring tone for each, and so when it rang it had the cell phone ring tone letting me know which phone the call was coming in on, it also tells you on the base unit display and the handset display which line it is using.

I originated a cell phone call through the pani and then picked up the phone and left the house, it linked control back to the cell phone and there as not even so much as a beep or click, the call continued now from the cell unit. Works coming home while on a cell call, as soon as you get in the house (one minute actually) the cell auto links back the to pani and you can continue the call from the base unit or any of the handsets.

Can't tell you know nice it is to have all of this in one consolidated system now. So far so good, however I was replacing a Motorola cordless phone system that I had done a lot of homework of to get a great speaker phone, something I use a lot, and so I was a little worried that the pani might be crummy as most are, but it is actually as good as the Motorola was so no issues, you make make it plenty loud, and talk at a normal level.

Caller ID is has a voice feature and will say the Caller ID information out loud if you turn it on, this is really nice on the handset in the bedroom in that I can just listen to know if I need to pick up or not, no need to try to sit up enough to read the display while half asleep.

The last feature I will really highlight is the battery back-up. This is unlike most cordless phones offer, the batter back-up does not just save your settings until power is returned, it actually power the base unit and allows you to using any of the handsets during a power failure.

It has a ton of other features and they are pretty much as good or better than you find on any of the phones these days, lots of customization options, ability to link in your cell phone and land line voice mail, block specific phone numbers (not by the phone company, on your phone), set ring-tones to numbers, decide which handsets or set all to be able to get and make calls over the cell phones, and you can even use this with no land line at all, just tell it to only use the cell line(s) and it will but seem like a typical land line call. Oh you can also have a Bluetooth or wired headset if you don't like speaker phones for hands free operation.

If you have one or two cell phones and chase them around the house, hit dead spots in the house, want to have your cell phone charging and not be tethered to the wall while taking calls on it at home, want to use those free or cheap off-hour minutes from your cell but using a nice home phone, then this is a great answer and for a pretty good price.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 15, 2011 3:12:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2011 3:16:19 AM PDT
G. Taylor says:
This is a really good review and it's spot-on with my experience with this phone. I've tried out Panasonic's models from 2009 and 2010 and this model is definately an improvement -- the sound quality is better and it's even better made, uses better plastic than previous years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2011 5:16:27 PM PDT
C. James says:
Thanks, I am glad it improved, nothing about this feels "cheap", I did not have the prior ones but know what you mean when cheap plastic is used in products.

What is most amazing to me is just how much it has made life easier at home dealing with three phones. I still sort of grin when it rings and it is one of my Cells and I just reach over and hit speaker, no guessing which cell as it tells and and uses the ringtone from it, and not running to where it is charging.

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 5:47:15 PM PDT
E. Adamy says:
I've had the older KX-TG658 for well over a year now. My contacts in BlackBerry are Last Name, First but the transfer put them into the KX phonebook First + Last which makes it very difficult to find names. Panasonic support had no solution for the issue. Curious if that has been fixed so the KX phone book has Last, First.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2011 2:48:26 PM PDT
Hi E,
It does not appear that they have addressed this, I mostly go by first names to find people so I never questioned it, there is no mention in the manual of reversing it and I have both my cell phone directories loaded to it and they are all first / last.

I tried search and it starts with first name field and if no first name matches it does not find it in the last name.

For me this is not an issue since I to tend to drive off of first name, but can see how it would be a pain if you use last name mostly.

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 1:08:29 PM PDT
Sean Trahan says:
In reading the review above it sounds like you can link two cell phones to the unit AND use the two cell phones at the sametime, is this the case..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011 3:52:41 PM PDT
E. Adamy says:
No, you can link two cell phones; however only one cell phone line can be used at any one time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011 4:43:18 PM PDT
Hi Sean,
While it might sound like it you can only use one cell phone at a time through the Panasonic, two can be registered and linked at the same time, but only one can be used at any given time.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 5:15:19 PM PST
Brenda Mayo says:
I have researched these phones as well as other brands for several weeks now and have just purchased this model. Question...on other models there is a button to press on the phone so you know that you are dialing out using the cell phone and not the landline. I don't see such a button on this phone. I have a landline for internet but get charged 10˘ a minute if I dial out so I want to make sure that there is a way to tell which line you are dialing out from. Please help.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:57:04 PM PDT
Andy Lin says:
So what happens when Cell 2 line needs to "ring" when Cell 1 line is "talking"? Will it ring so you know the other cell phone is being called and you can go answer the cell phone itself? Or is it just quiet and you end up missing your call because your spouse was on Cell 1 when Cell 2 was being called?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 8:43:01 PM PDT
C. James says:
As soon as you make a connection with one cell phone the other cell phone is disconnected from this phone and that cell phone rings as normal. Once you hang up it automatically re-connects unless someone is on it and then it waits until it is hung up and then reconnects. You can also optionally move the cell phone call to this phone mid-call, so when your spouse is done you can hop over to this phone if you want to.

The other option is to not tell your spouse how it works and hide the manual :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (2,911 customer reviews)
 (1,796)

Used & New from: $119.51
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

C. James
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 451