4.0 out of 5 stars Repeater Setup Required Some Screwing Around, July 19, 2013
This review is from: HooToo HT-WR01 Wireless N Signal Repeater and Range Extender, (300 Mbps 802.11 b/g/n Access Point / Repeater with WPS Button) (Personal Computers)
The device seems to work great in Repeater mode now that I have it working. My experience:

My router does not have a WPS button. It was easy enough to plug in the extender and go through the initial setup option, setting it up as a Repeater. Problem was, it only worked on it's own SSID. I wanted it to share my SSID so no matter where I was in the house, I only had 1 SSID. I didn't want to have to switch SSIDs when I was in the backyard.

The issue was that if you use the setup wizard without doing these other steps, 1) It does not assign tself the existing SSID and 2) Does not give itself a fresh DHCP address from your router (so you can never get back into the device to configure it). The reset button on the device was used several times during my setup. Yes, it does bridge the connection! It just requires you to use a different SSID if you want to use the repeater in say, your backyard.

Again for me, once you run that initial setup wizard, you can't get back into the hotspot to reconfigure it to work on your network. You can't get easily get back on it to reconfigure it's IP, change the SSID, etc. What I had to do was this (apologize for not being super specific, doing it from memory):

Follow the instructions and connect to it's web interface. Ignore the initial setup wizard. Go into the advanced options, and give the device an IP address that's on the same range as your router. At home, I'm at 172.24.50.x, so I gave the hotspot 172.24.50.250. Apply, let it reboot, and reconnect to the web page using the new IP address (in my case, 172.24.50.250).

Next, change all the SSID option boxes from the default to your own SSID. Apply again, let it reboot. Reconnect to the new SSID, and then reconnect to the new IP address.

Finally, at this point, run the Setup Wizard at the top left screen. If you want it to be a repeater, follow the steps, connect it to your existing SSID and passphrase, and you're good to go. Now you should have 1 SSID in your house and be able to reconnect to this repeater anytime by using it's IP.

If you have the WPS button on your router apparently it's much easier to setup.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2014 5:12:51 PM PST
Nathan C says:
Hey Philip. I tried your settings...but is it right that this will simply show the same SSID twice when you try and connect to a wifi network? It doesn't sound like it should.

Do I need to change anything else in some of those advanced settings? Turn off DHCP on the hootoo? I thought I followed exactly what you said, and I was asking it from the new IP I gave it, but I was seeing my SSID twice (my router AND the hootoo that I'd renamed).

Thanks for any help!