2.0 out of 5 stars Got this game for free and I still feel ripped off., May 30, 2013
This review is from: Metro Last Light [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I got this free with my new video card, so I guess I should be grateful for because if I paid money for this I'd be raging right now. Where to begin?

The story - Can't say much about the story since I got bored to death and stopped paying attention. It's not that the story itself is boring, but the way it is presented. Everything is done incredibly sllloooooowwwwwwwwwlllyyyy. Characters narrate for what seems like forever speaking like robots. Either you are forced to sit there with no control and listen to them drone on, or (even worse) follow them as they incredibly slowly walk while giving exposition. They scripted so much in this game, why not that? Also I lost track as to why I am chasing the Dark One instead of not contacting home base to let them know of army heading their way. You'd think that would be slightly more important. Also get use to being captured. It's now your hobby.

No control - Around the first hour or so the computer is playing the game, not you. It's all one long escort quest with you following someone else, and we all know how much fun that is. And most of the fights during that hour are also scripted, so fighting back feels pointless and a waste of ammo since it's programed so you either can't win or can't lose.

AI - I haven't seen AI this bad in literally decades. Just wait around a corner and enemies will slowly come around the bend to get a bullet in the head, oblivious to the pile of bodies of his friends that just did the same thing. The game promotes stealth, but they are so stupid you can just walk into a room and start shooting and kill everyone before they react. Literally you can stand behind one enemy and shoot one on the other side of the room and the one right in front of you will just stand there for 5 seconds saying "Huh? What was that? Are you o.k.?" Also enemies will stand in the open and loudly proclaim that they are reloading. Brilliant survival strategy there!

I'm lost! - This one is small but important. There is no hud, directional arrow, journal or map to tell you where you going. I know this was left out to give a more realistic experience, but at least they could give you a journal to tell you your current objective. I died in the swamp because I couldn't remember the second place to look for gasoline. Normally I like a bit of exploring is fine, but not when I have a limited air supply. Also after one of my many captures I was stuck in one room for 15 minutes because I couldn't find the exit (see graphics below.)

Graphics - On the surface the graphics are great. The game looks very good, provided you like the color brown and from what you can see out of a blurry, broken gas mask (Note to designers: modern gas mask lenses are plastic, not glass!) What is hidden behind that shiny coat is held together with string and glue. Clipping thru objects is constant, as well as enemies hitting you thru walls. At times you'll want to explore a hallway but find it blocked by a table or the invincible small cardboard box. Creatures react when you shoot them...sometimes. Either that or they have a very weird hit box. If they swing and miss they will sometimes spaz out. The programmers spent a lot of time creating a 7 second scene of you getting in and out of the rail car, but then block your path with a small box. That right there sums up this game; massive amount of work went into pointless stuff and not main game elements. There is also a constant bug where the screen will lock up for around 30 seconds. I have not checked to see if there is a fix for that yet.

I could keep going, but that sums up most of the bad points. If the story grabbed me in the beginning I guess I might like this more. As it stands it is a slow, boring story broken up by brief sections of boring combat. I could stand one or the other being bad, but not both.

[Add comment]