4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome with one little complaint **Usage Update***, April 28, 2011
This review is from: ASUS Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet (Dock Sold Separately) (Personal Computers)
I was one of the lucky view at the stroke of midnight on April 26th, was able to get my order in on Amazon. I just received my tablet tonight via Amazon Prime.

I've been on Android since the original T-Mobile G1 released, and have owned an iPad since September of last year, so quite awhile on both. This is my first ownership experience of a Honeycomb 3.0 tablet.

Software wise, there's not that much I can add in terms of what others haven't already said. It's VERY refreshing coming from iOS, to actually not be staring at pages and pages of useless icons. The notifications are ABSOLUTELY sweet (i.e. useful!). The app quick access with screenshots adds to a very desktop-esque experience, but with the navigability of a tablet UI.

Most things run very smooth, typical of all the standard Tegra 2 devices. Speakers are surprisingly loud, and there are actually 2 of them (stereo). Screen is absolutely gorgeous (IPS).

If you're deep in Google services, such as Gmail, Picasa, Youtube, Docs, etc. Honeycomb is a godsend. I have almost 20gb's of photos in Picasa, and after one account setup, EVERY SINGLE PICTURE synced. Pretty much all my cloud files and settings synced. From Chrome bookmarks to docs to pictures.... it seriously is a breath of fresh air to have things "just work", without the use of something like iTunes.

Granted, if you're not a Googler like me, it won't be AS beneficial, but that's not to say it's still not a great device.

It also charges FAST as hell. My iPad takes on average 6 hours to go from 0% to 100%. I haven't done a full discharge on the Asus, but it went from 7% to 100% in a little under 2 hrs. That's insane.

The not so great, both the front and rear camera seem slightly sub-par as far as clarity goes. Very usable, but not great. My only real complaint is the "tightness" of the construction. I absolutely don't mind the plastic. It's light, grippy, sturdy, and looks great. However, along the bezel where the plastic seems to meet the glass, the Transformer tends to creak. Nothing worth concern, but it would be nice for a device that's basically a slab of glass to "sound" solid in your hand.Then I think to myself, this thing cost 399... It's 100 bucks less then the cheapest iPad.

So, the question really isn't "Is this thing awesome" or "is it better then an iPad". I believe either of those answers are really up for interpretation. However, when you throw in the equation of PRICE..."Is this thing awesome for 399" , i have to give a resounding "YES!".

****** Edit : Usage Update *******

So I've been using this tablet in place of my iPad exclusively for about 4 days now, and have better insight to the Transformer.

The good is that my previous complaint about the build quality really has proven to be a really superficial concern. It does faintly creak in a couple spots, but I would have to classify the actual severity as minimal to non-existant.

Also, after reading the issues with the Asus update, I decided to proceed since it's only been documented that a handful (i.e. less then 5) people out of potential thousands have actually had issues. My update went without an issue.

I hear people complain about the lack of apps specifically for tablet. I can happily say that i haven't experience this limitation since even most non-tablet specific apps scale fine. "things look stretched out". Yes, that's actually an indication that Android was designed to scale properly (literally). Look at iOS, they literally blow up non iPad apps to the point of pixelation. Android's solution, while not ideal, is much better and most non-tablet specific apps actually work and look just fine. Having a FULL browser is incredibly helpful.

The notification system is awesome. Just this change makes this tablet twice as more productive then my iPad.

Now, admittedly, there have been more not-so-good issues that I've discovered. First off, the tablet is definitely prone to freezes and locks. On several occasions it would just freeze completely and would require a reboot. Also, there have been several times where, when going from portrait to landscape, the resolution of the screen stayed fixed. This would result in an odd partial-screen view. Usually fixed itself after a couple of seconds of rotating the tablet. Other times, presses are unresponsive, ex. opening an app. This is definitely a software issue however, not an issue with the capacitive hardware.

YouTube playback was surprisingly choppy, even in standard def. The recent update however, seemed to have improved that greatly.

Last thing, just like most Android devices, the user experience is proned to "slow-down" once you've been on it for any decent amount of time. Can't be a RAM issue as this has 1GB, and at any given time there's only 400mb or so in use.

All in all, most of these problems are directly related to Honeycomb, not Asus Transformer hardware.

In actual use case, I would say I experience one of the above problems about 1-5% of the time I'm actually using the tablet. It's not enough to make it unusable at all, it's actually been a pretty positive experience. However, I now completely understand the sentiments that Honeycomb is "half-baked". Generally speaking, people read blogs that are writing 3rd hand information to begin with, and make that comment without actually having owned a Honeycomb tablet. Well, I have, and I understand now. As a consumer device, I still think it's fine, but there's enough glaring early version issues that I probably wouldn't reccomend something like this in business or enterprise use.

Last thing, all you funny people in the comments trying to pigeon-hole me as a anti-Apple or pro-Apple, or whatever it may be... In all honesty, I'm one of the few people I've ever met that has one foot equally (and fully) planted in 3 completely separate platforms. I use iOS, OS X,Android, and Windows 7 in equal capacities at work and at home, and my mobile OS of choice (outside of tablets) has been Android for the last 3 years. I do this because I LOVE and HATE various things about ALL the OS's I use, which is why I use 4 of them to fill in each other gaps. Take that as you will.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 29, 2011 10:31:19 AM PDT
Kien Han says:
now think about it, you can buy an ipad for from 500-800 or you can buy this thing for 400

Posted on May 1, 2011 5:51:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2011 5:54:13 AM PDT
R. Robinson says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 9:47:13 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 9:54:18 AM PDT
M. Kim says:
Have you ever seen an Apple mobile device? It's page after page of tiled icons. I don't think most people think about this because the context of iOS was originally from a phone with a 3" screen. So it's understandable that the workflow can only consist of a series of icons. The issue is when iOS is in it's 4th iteration running on a 1024x768 tablet, is still showing pages and pages of nothing but icons.

That would be analogous to a Windows desktop being an edge-to-edge grid of all your program shortcuts. Not sure how savvy you are with your computer, but most people I know would laugh at the sight of that on Windows or OS X, yet it's perfectly acceptable on a tablet? Not sure how that translates. I find it equally useless to do that on a desktop OS like Windows or OS X, as it is on a tablet OS which basically has the same screen real estate and quickly catching up to the same computing power as a desktop PC.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 9:58:22 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 25, 2011 8:30:55 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 11:50:21 AM PDT
V. Phan says:
@ R. Robinson
You come in here mad throwing insults at a civilized and true review.
I suggest you look in the mirror and see who the fanboy/idiot is.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 12:19:09 PM PDT
M. Kim says:
I'll add one more.. people who iAssume :). Not sure if you got my original review, but I own (and still use) an iPad. My main work computer is also a 15" macbook pro. Although at home I use a home built Win 7 PC for gaming. I develop for iOS as well, not sure if that's relevant, but it does seem I work with a lot of stuff I supposedly "hate". I guess I'm a rare breed of Apple customer that can appreciate the good stuff without being blinded by the mainstream shallow opinion of the stuff that actually isn't so good?

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 12:19:39 PM PDT
M. Kim says:
By the way, the irony in you saying "your an idiot"... well.. enough said :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 12:36:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 2, 2011 12:48:56 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 12:38:18 PM PDT
R. Robinson says:
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (1,135 customer reviews)

$399.00 $350.00