Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Stuart Woods Lover Finds The Love Again, September 19, 2012
This review is from: Severe Clear (Stone Barrington Book 24) (Kindle Edition)
As many Stuart Woods fans know, we have had a hard time in the past couple years. By this I mean Stuart Woods' previous books the last couple of years have not been as good as his earlier books. That is not to say that I have not read every single one of them, because I do. That just means the books in the last couple of years have not been as good.

I want to start this review by saying again that I have read every single one of Stuat Woods' books. The thing I love the most about these books are that there is a series, several series really , but if you do not read the series and read each book individually you can still enjoy the books.

Reporting to Woods fans, I would have to say Woods is back. Severe clear is a story in the stone Barrington family that also has all of the favorite characters from other series. They are put together in a well thought out way that does make sense. This is a very fast read and it was a good read. Finally.

Reporting to new readers of woods, I would have to say this is a good book to start. This is a book about glitz and glamour and of course espionage with a little bit of terrorism. This is a quick read. I downloaded it on the Amazon Kindle and read it in a day. this book is not going to change your life. This book will put a smile on your face though.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2012 1:02:29 AM PDT
Ricky N. says:
You stuck with him longer than most people. After I read "Son of Stone" I vowed to stop reading these things because this is not the Stuart Woods of the 1980s and 1990s. He is writing these things at a furious pace (4 within the last year and another due out in December). Even though I bought the next two, I have not read them because there are too many good authors out there to waste my time with more of the same and with "Severe Clear", I stopped buying them. I hope you are right about this one, but I have my doubts. The last few efforts could not have come from the pen of the author of books like "Chiefs", "Palindrome", and "Heat". No one can come up with fresh ideas writing 4 or 5 books a year. And the thing that bugs me is how can Dino follow Stone all over the country and still be a New York policeman? The books just became monotonous to me and it will take a lot more convincing to get me to spend good money on these things any longer. I would like to see Mr. Woods retire Stone for good and go back to writing one book per year. Maybe then the quality would pick up.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 4:55:03 AM PDT
elizabeth b says:
I agree Son of Stone was bad -- and for me to say that about SW says a lot. I also think every one after that was just so so. I was ready to say bye. I got this one right away and read it. It is top stars for me ONLY because it it better than the last ones since Son.

I would say read it cause it's fun, not to find the old SW. Does that tell you anything?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 10:46:34 AM PDT
Ricky N. says:
Thank you elizabeth b. I will go by my public library and see if they have it. The one thing I can say about Stuart Woods' books is that you can read them in one or two days. I think he set the bar so high early in his career that his latter works are more disappointing to me. That said, I liked "Hot Mahogany" because there was a plot and suspense involved.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 5:36:38 PM PDT
elizabeth b says:
Let me know. Good idea to loan it instead of buying.

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 8:27:11 AM PDT
Good to hear. I miss the inital great Stuart Woods reads. I too have read every book, good or bad. I'll give this one a shot. Thanks for the review Elizabeth.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 3:06:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 2, 2012 7:56:27 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 8:25:08 PM PDT
I am about 1/2 way through the book and can't wait to read it all. I agree that Woods is back! I, like you, have read them all, even the bad ones we've gotten lately. I still find Stone to be funny and these books to be entertaining, even in those weak ones, but this one...it is like the old days! I completely agree that this is a great book for fans of Stone yet also a great book to try Stone for the first time! And yes, it def puts a smile on your face! Great review!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 8:27:06 PM PDT
Def try it! It is so weird...it is like the old Woods! I don't know if that means Woods didn't really write it or he didn't write the bad ones and actually wrote this one! But who cares! It is fast and funny and suspenseful! Check it out at the library for sure!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 11:39:24 AM PDT
Thanks:)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 5:03:20 PM PST
Ricky N. says:
It is indeed one of the best of the Barrington novels. It may not be up to par with his stand alone novels, but it is quite good especially in light of the bad novels preceding it. Your review made me want to read a book I had not intended to read.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›