3.0 out of 5 stars 5 star movie but 3 star blu ray disc, April 22, 2012
This review is from: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
I think there are several reviews already with the same complaints but I just thought I would add my voice to the chorus.

No spoilers.

The Movie- 5 Stars
This movie has a ton of "hands-down" moments. Among them:
- Probably one of the best pure action movies I have ever seen. Yes, the plot is silly, but this is not a movie you walk into expecting it to change your perspective on life. It's just a fun and exciting movie which puts a very nice spin on the tired franchise with the Murphy's Law conundrums. Part of the fun is watching how Tom Cruise and team find their way around everything that the plot throws at them. One of my favorite sequences in MI3 was the Italy scenes where a daring heist is carried off flawlessly. In this movie, you have tons of heist scenes where absolutely nothing goes right and the movie still manages to find that tricky signature balance between action/plausibility/humor that carries the viewer from scene to scene with bated breath.

- Direction/editing was first-rate. Brad Bird really has the chops to carry this off and I look forward to his next big screen popcorn pleaser.

- Acting. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY runs like Tom Cruise. Despite his tarnished public image, Cruise proves once again why he is the king of action movies. His intensity and star mega power is on full display here and his physical investment is right up there on the screen. He is nicely matched with the supporting cast---Paula Patton is the feminine charm (and how nice it is to see an actress who is not a 20 year old stick and is believable being super sexy and kicking butt!), Simon Pegg is used in just the right amounts and Jeremy Renner is adequate in his role as well, though I am not sure if he can match Cruise on pure charisma if the plan is to have him take over the series someday. He does have amazing arm veins though.

- The Imax scenes in the theatre were jaw-dropping and perfectly blended into the regular scenes. And this leads me to my complaints.

The Blu-Ray Disc- 3 stars
I cannot emphasize how incredibly disappointed I was that these Imax scenes were not presented in the disc.

I have no idea why they skimped out on this, but those panoramic sweeping vista moments were a key highlight to this movie. The opening scenes in Prague set the stage, the Dubai scenes contributed to that sense of vertigo and epic stomach churning anxiety. Why would they not include these on the Blu Ray?

"The Dark Knight" Blu Ray, still my favorite disc, proved you can do this well for the home audience. When I ordered MI4, I was most looking forward to seeing those Imax scenes again and was extremely disappointed they were not included. And yes, that was enough to dock 2 stars for me, despite the movie's excellence.

Do I regret this purchase? Yeah, I kinda do. I am super picky with my Blu Ray purchases because I went a little nuts purchasing 100's of DVD's and promised myself only to buy Blu Rays which were superlative. I was really hoping this would be one of them and I feel a bit cheated because in my opinion, this was not the whole movie. Those Imax scenes were a labor of love to shoot and specifically part of Brad Bird's vision and it is a huge disservice to have not included them.

ETA: I actually did a little research as to why Brad Bird did not include the 16:9 aspect ratio to accommodate the Imax scenes...apparently, this was so that there would be no impact on people who have constant height projection systems. Again, this was Mr. Bird's choice and I guess I have to respect it.
One more thing I did want to add which I did not mention in my review---the Blu Ray itself *is* pretty incredible in both picture and sound. Really great quality. My only nitpick was the exclusion of 16:9 aspect Imax scenes, which even though there is now a real reason for it, I wish were still included as an extra.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 22, 2012 7:24:20 PM PDT
JMM says:
Great review.

What I find strange is that it seems that Brad Bird himself made the decision not to include the full IMAX footage. Like you, I find this to be a huge error. I also saw the film in IMAX, and watching it on Blu-Ray I felt like I was missing so much of the frame that it was sometimes distracting.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 10:52:49 AM PDT
Smarty Pants says:
Well said, couldn't agree more!

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 5:16:35 PM PDT
incognito says:
Was about to purchase until I read your review.
Thanks for saving me $22.00.
Going to buy an opera dvd instead.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 11:30:01 AM PDT
UFC Fan says:
i don't feel the way every one else does. i certainly respect everyone's opinion and enjoyed reading them. i thought it was funny at times, but they went a little to far. the plot was just a bit to over the top, unlike the other films where you might see hunt being able to achieve his goals. i dont watch the films though for the explosions or special effects although fun. i loved the other three. i thought each one got better and better until this one. sure, it's worth watching. but the first was good, the second, i really loved, and the third with his wife, was fantastic. this one just seemed out of place in terms of plot. not really able to believe it. i wanted to see the other actors from the other films. even though i loved this cast. it would have been nice to have them all involved. i do have a question and can somone answer this for me? did his wife leave him? or did he set it up so she would be thought of as dead but they were still married? he looked sad at the end and i could not answer this for myself. but i am most likely a bit slow with some of this....can someone tell me if he was still with his wife or not?

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:25:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 9:24:21 PM PDT
Breather says:
Michael, my view is fairly similar to your own. While I found the film entertaining and would recommend it, I would rank it fourth. The plot was a bit convoluted and not that believable in areas. In the special features, they even admitted to writing the script as they filmed. It showed. Also, the villain was woefully under-developed, despite the great potential.

<<SPOILER>> below. Don't read on if you haven't seen the film yet.

With respect to your question about Ethan's wife-being Ethan's wife, she was in constant danger and Ethan made the decision to have her "killed", as he let Renner in on at the end. Sort of a witness relocation program for the IMF. Ethan set her up in a new life. In the end of the film, he was watching her in resigned sadness. She knew he was watching but they both know they can't be together without risking her life. So, he faked her death. The whole killing of the six killers by Ethan and getting himself thrown in prison was the cover story.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 9:00:28 AM PDT
UFC Fan says:
Breather than you......i forgot about the cover story. and i agree with it being 4th. the story was just badly executed.....and i didn't know that they wrote it as they went. that explains a lot. it was really bad compared to the others. and if they wrote it as they went, don't you feel it's a slap in the face to us the fans who love the films and support tom's movies? i think they had the potential to make this a great film. so much more they could have done. and it was hard to follow. it just didn't feel like the others at all. i liked the first a lot. great cast. the second with toms love interest, i forget her name, she is beautiful and played that role just perfect. and i loved that crew. the third, was perfect for me. seymor hoffman was perfect as well. it was just great. this was such a let down. i couldn't understand how people loved this film. i don't know much at all about special effects and it seems everyone really enjoyed them. and i dont know the difference in blue ray, although i have a blue ray disk player, and the disks they put out that everyone was upset with. what did they do wrong with rolling it out in dvd? thank you for answering my question as well....

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 7:49:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 7:49:53 PM PDT
D. Cretu says:
@ Breather
Seriously?? You put a spoiler like that in your comment and made no attempt to warn people? Cool.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 8:18:28 PM PDT
D. Cretu,

I don't know if you are referring to me (michael m. cifelli) or someone else. If you meant me, I apologize and will be more careful about what I say in the future. I am glad you brought it to my attention, but that being said, I think you could have put it a bit different. First off, I didn't didn't really think it was a spoiler. His wife is not a important point in the story. It is a small side note. at best. I also, spoke mostly about how I didn't like it, and spoke about the plot, and not in any detail I might add. Many other reviews with no warning at all, spoke about this movie in such detail, i couldn't even follow the review. Much like the movie itself. I didn't even talk about the plot, which would be the spoiler of the entire film. But, I certainly did not mean to offend or ruin it for anyone. I should also note you are the only one who has made that comment. And many in here don't seem to have any problem expressing an opinion, no matter how rude it is. Funny how people don't mind doing it when they know the person they are being rude to cant see them in person. I make it a point to be nice, and never sarcastic and understand people make mistakes and just let people be. Maybe you can give advice next time without the tone, and I am sure people would take what you are saying more seriously. I will however, despite how you said it, will make sure I will be more careful. This way, people don't cry.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:22:19 PM PDT
Breather says:
@D. Cretu

Yeah, I did. Seriously. I figured since it was in the comment section of a review, it was a safe place for a spoiler. Just so you and anyone else that comes across it won't be spoiled, I'll add a warning. Cool.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 10:07:24 PM PDT