3.0 out of 5 stars A Great Game With Some Big Annoyances, June 13, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Sims 3 - PC (DVD-ROM)
As with all Sims games, I thoroughly enjoyed The Sims 3. Here is a little outline of the Upsides and Downsides.

Upsides

Adjustable Lifespans-- This is awesome! I always hated waiting a whole 15 days in TS2 for teens to grow up, but now I can adjust that and all other life stages.

Traits-- Traits are just plain cool. It's really neat to make a unique sim with these and have them learn other sims' traits too!

Books-- One thing I love to do is have sims write books. I love choosing the titles and making my own reading material. I have one young adult sim who has written 15 "trashy" books since her childhood, and it is very amusing/funny.

Seamless Neighborhood-- The most over-advertised feature by far, but definitely for a good reason. I never realized how awesome this is until I really started taking advantage of it. I can have all my sims in different places doing what they want. I used to hate going out of the house in The Sims 2 just because of all the loading screens and how when you get back, no time has passed. (so if you were working on a legacy, it would take longer.) But now it's easy. My Sims go out all the time! Plus it's that much easier to keep families in touch.

Lifetime Rewards-- I find that the lifetime rewards in TS3 are often really useful and just all around better than in TS2. Plus, they last forever! I do wish there were still Smart Milk available though, because that can be soooo useful.

Clothing-- In an act of absolute genius, EA brought back the original system of every sim having every item of clothing in their wardrobes for easy changing. In TS2, it was always aggravating to go out to the store and buy new outfits, but now that isn't a problem.

Addictive-ness-- The game is very addictive, though a little less so than TS2. Hours go by very quickly when you are playing this game.

Downsides

Story Progression-- Story progression is a tough one. I like that neighborhood sims can age and do their own things, but the thing is, I don't want the families I create and enjoy playing to do that. I wish it were only the townies/NPCs who keep aging and going through life changes when I'm not playing them. This is because it's frustrating to come back to a family and find that they have gotten way older, adopted really crappy traits while you were gone, or even had a baby(!). I've even heard of player-made families vanishing because- get this- the story progression had them move out of the neighborhood. Again, I would much rather that only the townies and NPCs have story progression. Even if you turn story progression off, the neighbors will still age, they just won't have major life events. So basically, when you play TS3 and you get to the point where your family is getting huge and expanding across multiple households, you're always sweating about who you have to keep playing with and who you'll have to let the computer guide and turn into a crappy, poorly endowed shell of a sim.

Character Design-- In The Sims 2, designing sims' facial features was awesome. You could make some very unique sims with a little time. My favorite thing to do is make sims with very large eyes. But you can't really do that in TS3. Most of the features stay in the neutral zone. You can't make a sim with giant eyes or anything, and they all end up looking really similar with no unique flair.

Overall Feel-- In The Sims 2, the characters seemed very alive; they had a quirkiness and sense of cartoonish humor. This is gone in TS3. The characters look more realistic, but they don't feel as loveable or fun. They're just kind of boring and bland.

Camera System-- I have no idea why, but it is impossible to get a good camera angle in this game, which is important to people like me who LOVE writing stories with photos. Also, it's just not as fun to look at: I loved looking at my sims in TS2 at their level, admiring their outfits and the beauty of the 3D world. But in TS3 I am always looking down from above, because it's so difficult just to see things. I think this is because of the tilt component that has been added to the camera, which kind of adjusts willy nilly unless you just give up and look down from the sky instead.

Overall, this is a fun game and worth playing, but some major things have changed that keep it from being as addictive and wonderful as The Sims 2.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]