5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Lodge item, August 25, 2008
This review is from: Lodge L8DD3 Double Dutch Oven and Casserole with Skillet Cover, 5-Quart (Kitchen)
I have been cooking with Lodge cast iron for about 7 years and own 8 pieces from their inventory. The Double Dutch Oven is my favorite Lodge cookware due to its versatility.

When using a dutch oven, I usually sear the meat first to add flavor. Usually, this requires searing the meat in several batches. The best part about the Double Dutch is that you can sear the meat in the big pot and in the lid simultaneously, thus reducing the time needed to brown the meat by half. Since the lid is then used for the braising step (after deglazing), you're not increasing the number of items to be cleaned later.

I like the lid so much that I often use it by itself for pan frying. Due to the smallish size (about 10 inches in diameter) and the inherent properties of cast iron, the lid can get incredibly hot if you want it to. Perfect for cooking a steak (it puts on a better crust vs my 12" Lodge skillet). I've even used it as a pie pan in a pinch. When properly seasoned, the lid also works great for cooking eggs without them sticking. A seasoned cast iron pan is the original nonstick and will outlast any synthetic-coated nonstick pan in the market (and without the toxic fumes).

When used as a Dutch Oven, it works like it should. It retains heat well and cooks evenly. There is very little steam that escapes. The smaller 5qt capacity (vs a 7qt Dutch Oven, which I use less now that I've got this one) is also better for cooking moderate amounts of food. Generally, you want little empty space when using a Dutch oven.

In response to the reviewer who has problems getting the lid off, I suggest the following. When setting the lid on the pot, don't align the handles of the two. This will allow you to remove the lid easily, without having to worry about injuries. I've owned another Lodge 5qt Dutch Oven
with a more traditional handle - I don't miss that one at all...nor do I miss not having a standalone 10" skillet.

UPDATE (December 2010):
I've been using this thing for over two years now, several times per week. It is still my favorite, but ever more so. Here's one more thing that you can use this for: Baking super awesome bread that rivals anything you can get at your bakery. One of the secrets of making great rustic breads with a thick chewy/crunchy crust and great oven spring is to use a lot of steam for the first 10 minutes of baking. Bakeries use a steam-injected oven. For us at home, using a covered pot, such as this one, is the easiest way to replicate the effects of a steam oven. After shaping a boule, I place it on the lid, cover it with the main pot and let it proof (so the whole pot is upside down). When the dough is ready, I score it and place the covered pot on a preheated stone in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Then I remove the lid and let the top crust brown while the interior reaches the proper temperature. Depending on your oven, you might have to remove the bread from the lid halfway though cooking so the bottom doesn't burn - I usually put it on a cool baking tray on a rack without a stone. It's a minor inconvenience, but it's easier than trying to steam an oven with boiling water, ices cubes, mister, etc. And the results can't be beat!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2010 2:11:39 PM PDT
MaggieToo9 says:
Some have complained of rust under the seasoning - some have not. I guess that might depend on the seller it was purchased from. Since yours had NO rust, who did you buy yours from? Thanks, Ann

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 7:05:32 PM PDT
Joe MacBu says:
I purchased mine directly from Amazon (not through one of their Marketplace affiliates).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2010 10:02:44 PM PDT
Rust is really easy to remove, simply by rubbing it away with salt and oil.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 4:00:14 AM PST
Zehrin says:
Sorry I did not get some of the steps in bread making which I am very interested in baking
1. '...place the covered pot on a preheated stone...''
---did you place it upside down as you did to proof or pot on the bottom while the lid on top? what type of stone did you use for your bread?
2. ''Then I remove the lid...''
--which lid are you referring here? you mean the lid as in the lid or the pot used as lid?
3. ''I usually put it on a cool baking tray on a rack without a stone''
---put what ''it?" --is it the bread or the whole pot?
I would appreciate your detailed steps in baking a rustic bread. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 9:21:10 AM PST
Joe MacBu says:
Good questions, Zehrin.

1. Upside down as I did for proofing. I used to use unglazed quarry tiles (like the kind used for patio floors, from home depot), then graduated to an inch-thick granite slab that I got from the rejects off a granite yard. You can use any food safe stone, like a pizza stone.

Some updates on this point:
* I no longer proof in the lid. While that still works, I prefer to proof in baskets and then transfer the ready dough onto the lid. For baskets, I use coiled cane baskets and linen-lined baskets (banneton, brotoform). If you want to do it on the cheap, I recommend using a 10-inch diameter colander (which you probably have) lined with an elastic food cover (like a food-safe shower cap). Spray the food cover with oil spray and proof the dough on that.

*Don't let the lack of a stone keep you from baking bread. You don't necessarily need one, and it might work better for you without using one - depends on your oven. I recently moved and don't have a stone in my oven yet. The breads still turn out great.

2. I mean what is being used as the lid at the time. So, remove the pot.

3. The bread itself. The point is to prevent the bottom crust from burning, so you want to remove it from the hot cast iron it's sitting on and place it on something cooler. You can put it directly onto a cold sheet pan. You'll have to figure out what works with your oven - trial and error.

Ok, a few more updates/improvements:

* Since I now proof in baskets, I heat the pot part in the oven as it is preheating. I don't heat the lid - because it sucks to try to put a proofed boule onto a hot lid. Heating the lid also tends to burn the bottom crust. I find that heating the pot gives me a better rise and a better-cooked top crust (I bake my breads till very dark).

* How long you cook the bread covered influences the characteristics of the crust. Covering for 10 minutes makes a thinner crust. These days, I cover for 20-25 minutes for a thicker, crunchier crust.

You can see pics of some of the boules made in this dutch oven if you go to the facebook page for MicheBread.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 1:04:25 PM PST
Bill King says:
Joe, you should write a book using this method (I would buy it :)

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 4:57:12 AM PST
MrsHill311 says:
I've heard that this cookware is great except for tomato based dishes. I use a lot of tomato sauce based dishes like chili,stews, even greens w/ a tomato sauce. Can I make these dishes w/ this kind of cast iron?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 9:49:24 AM PST
Yes, once it's been well seasoned.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 9:57:33 AM PST
Zehrin says:
me too Bill..Thank you Joe

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 4:35:47 PM PDT
Can you tell me the difference between a Dutch oven and a Double Dutch oven ?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›