5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal, November 15, 2010
This review is from: Medialink Easy Setup Wireless Router, Repeater & Range Extender (300 Mbps) (Electronics)
As a networking/server techy geek type I thought that the over emphasis on following directions was a little much and I felt a little like there might be something new that I would miss if I treated this like any other router but fortunately that was a misconception.

This sucker is almost as sexy as it looks in the pics. It works exactly as you'd expect. It performs better than one might hope.

If you're using a cable modem definitely don't forget to reboot it disconnected & give it a chance to get fully "booted" and running before plugging in & starting up the router but...

Though the web based interface isn't too overly fancy: this is a great router that just plain works and has all the features a geek wants with the ease of use of a router anyone can use while being exactly what it should be, set it & forget it.

It's sad that these days the over priced, less reliable routers are so popular. Even as a geek I don't want to reinstall my own OS on these things. I want all of my equipment online. I don't want a router I can install linux on, I want one with a "louder" signal in my apartment than all of my neighbors poorly configured, channel hogging routers.

My two iPhones, iPad, desktop, server, friend's smartphones, laptop, xBox, printer and everything else can FINALLY all play nice on the same network without having to mess with wifi settings or reset the router.

I've only had it for a week but if it lasts longer performing like this than any of these more expensive & less reliable name-brand junk routers I'll stick with this brand.

Side-note: A bandwidth test from my iPhone while on this router performed over 1Mbit/s faster than previously and almost as much faster than my high-end commercial hardware based wifi network at the office.

To recap: I hope this has a long MTBF because I'm happy, regaining my sanity and saved critical dollars at the perfect price of about $40.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 5, 2011 10:24:58 AM PDT
Heidi says:
I was reading your great comment (and some others), and I am wondering if I (being a novice) could handle this router. I previously had a Linksys which went on the fritz. I had a lot of problems connecting the Linksys - because I know nothing about networking. I have a desktop and a laptop, and I am trying to establish a home network. Furthermore, I have four grandson who stop by periodically with their laptops. While I was using linksys, they had no problems connecting. If I would have to make any kind of change, like others had to, I would be lost. I do like the looks of this router.
What's your opinion?
Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 2:03:03 AM PDT
KaGe says:
you mention "this router has all the features a geek wants".. does this have DHCP reservation (aka "Static" DHCP)?

thanks!
kaygee

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2011 5:42:48 AM PDT
Hello KaGe,

Yes, in the GUI, there is a section for DHCP Server and a subsection for DHCP List&Binding where you can "Bind" the IP Address to a specific MAC Address on the network.

support@Medialinkproducts.com

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 2:52:23 PM PST
Robin says:
Not up on all the verbage... Is it wireless G compatible? I have an older laptop that runs on XP and a new laptop that runs on windows 7. Sound like it will but would love someone to confirm!!
Robin

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 6:48:20 AM PST
Hello Robin,

Yes, this router is 802.11 b/g/n compatible and will work fine with your XP laptop just as much as your Win 7 laptop.

support@medialinkproducts.com
Tue-Sat 9am to 6pm Eastern

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 7:35:40 AM PST
Robin says:
Thanks so very much for quick response! I am going to purchase now!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 11:05:06 AM PDT
Dennis says:
What kind of support does this router have for port forwarding? Can I refer traffic from a port to a specific ip address/port?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 2:53:31 PM PDT
Yes, you can setup port forwarding to forward outside requests sent to a specific port in the router and have them go to a specific IP address in your network. If you need help, just give us a call.

support@medialinkproducts.com