Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

3.0 out of 5 stars Construction good - function so so, December 23, 2009
This review is from: Omega J8003 Nutrition Center Single-Gear Commercial Masticating Juicer, White (Kitchen)
I just got this juicer after having only used centrifugal juicers. Actually did own a champion years ago, that I'd almost forgotten about. This does a better job if you are considering one of those and the construction is equivalent. I did a fair amount of reading and made my purchase based partly on price. After having used it several times to juice carrots/apples/cabbage, I can say it does a fair job. Cleanup is quite easy (easier than the screen on centrifugal). Issues - juice volume is not what I expected. There are longer auger juicers that reviews indicated did a better job (just they were another $50). I considered the vertical auger (omega 330 and hurom) and now wish I'd spent more for them. My biggest complaint about this is the small chute (although typical for these - green star/samson/and omega all seem to have a 1.5x1.5 chute). The small chute means ALOT of chopping ahead of time. The hurom/omega 330 has a larger chute hence the wish to have spent more and gotten one of them (btw - they are same, as you'd find if you research). So in summary - easy to clean - easy to assemble and understand - feeding chute too small - volume of juice could be better - construction quality looks good.

Update July 2013: I actually sent this unit back for a refund and purchased the vertical auger 330. I've used it for the last several years for making juice and I would still recommend it for juicing over the 800x. That said, I've also recent purchased a 8006 (minor differences to 8003 that can be read about elsewhere). Why? Because the I wanted to make nut butters and sorbets which the VRTs don't do (or very well at least). I've used the 8006 for juicing again, and still don't like cutting up produce (and yes I get organic carrots at don't come close to fitting in the chute). But I must admit, the 800x is much easier to clean since the screen is much smaller than the VRT machines.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 4, 2010 8:15:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2010 8:17:00 AM PDT
ALOT of chopping? What are you juicing? Most carrots fit in fine as is - with only x-thick ones needing to be quartered. Leafy greens and wheatgrass go in as is or rolled up. Maybe round veggies like beats, turnups, etc need to be chopped but in the amounts you'd use them I wouldn't consider it ALOT of chopping. Certainly not more than 30 seconds tops.

I was worried about getting the Omega based on this and a few other reviews making it seem like I'd spend a large amount of time chopping veggies each time. This is VERY overstated unless you're only juicing potatoes or beets. I usually spend NO time chopping and when I do - not more than 15-30 seconds total. I LOVE this juicer.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2010 5:26:36 PM PDT
I'm glad you're happy with it. I stand by my review. I didn't slam it, just find that the larger chute of the omega 330 vert fits larger pieces of cabbage and other produce - and I've NEVER had to split a large diameter carrot so it would fit.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2010 11:07:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2010 11:07:28 AM PDT
Jack says:
thanks for pointing that out. I too dislike small chutes. Prechopping is a waste of time. Large chute size is one of my must haves. I suspect that the reason they use a small chute is so that the motor wont be over burdened, which means it is a weak motor to start with.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2011 2:41:00 PM PST
Stone Blue says:
I'd be very surprised if any organic carrot I buy would be too big for this juicer.

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 5:09:23 PM PST
celeste says:
I totally agree with the chopping. I have to cut apples and pears into 6 pieces to get them to fit. Cucumbers , broccoli, bigger carrots all have to be cut. It is also time consuming to feed in each leaf on a head of lettuce one by one. Definitely time consuming. That is my biggest problem with this juicer. I would use it much more if it was faster.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:53:39 AM PST
I just was gifted the 8004, the "big brother" to the 8003 which is essentially the same in size/shape/function except has a stronger auger, bigger juice containers, and 5 more years on the warranty. I highly recommend using an apple/pear corer/slicer (I just got the progressive with the swingaround lid), which makes it a snap to quickly produce fruit wedges that can be thrown into the feeding tube. If you're juicing greens, you'll want to make a stack of leaves (as if you were preparing to chiffonade) and, as other commenters have stated, just feed in the leaf roll. You'll get better performance because rolling up the leaves makes them more akin to a firm vegetable, and it'll produce more juice as well as go much faster. Now, if I could only come up with a fast way to peel a lemon...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 8:37:36 AM PST
Bricktop says:
If you're buying organic lemons and giving them a quick soak in a fruit/veg wash, do you even need to peel them? Just 1/4 them, no?

I'm just curious, I blenderize with a Vitamix and I chuck lemons in whole, but we're about to add a juicer and was trying to decide between the 8003 and 8006.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 10:19:23 AM PST
The general rule is supposed to be to peel the citrus but leave some pith--the pith is good for you, while the skin will make your juice excessively bitter. If you are routinely surviving tossing unpeeled lemons into a VitaMix, I salute you and the permanent pucker I assume you wear :-) I considered whole lemons in the VitaMix a mistake I made only once...
I have been using my 8004 for a while (the white version of the 8006--otherwise, identical) and I recommend splurging the extra $30 or whatever it is right now for that upgraded model. That is pretty cheap for 5 more years at the end of your warranty. You also get a stronger auger and some upgrades to some of the other parts. In fact, I have been watching the price bounce and I think there is very little cost difference currently between the older 8003/8005 models and the newer 8004/8006 models on Amazon. I'm loving my juicer and I have one more tip....in addition to rolling up the leaves of your greens, alternate hard foods (carrots, celery, beets) with soft foods like greens--and the hard stuff will zip your greens right through!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 10:47:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 11:16:11 AM PST
Bricktop says:
Thanks Michelle, I just ordered the J8004 after noting that it's only $30 more in the marketplace and when you choose a seller that's not Amazon you don't have to pay sales tax in NY, so free shipping + no tax it was $230 (8003) vs. $260 (8004) - seems like a no brainer with the improved auger and warranty you point out.

I find if I forget to add something sweet in the mix, or spicy, that it is a bit of a pucker-fest but usually I'm adding a good chunk of ginger as well as alternating between an apple (this one I do peel and core) or a big chunk of pineapple depending on what we have.

My morning smoothie is usually (all organic except occasionally lemons when they're out, then I peel them):

a) Broccoli, kale or chard (rotating)
b) Blueberries, raspberries or strawberries (rotating)
c) ginger
d) beet
e) apple or pineapple (rotating)
f) parsley
g) mini cucumber or celery (rotating)
h) wheatgrass powder
i) Non-GMO whey powder
j) lemon
j) water (filtered via Berkey system)

I add the whey because my smoothie iss all I'm having for breakfast and I just want a little extra protein, so I get about 11g from 1/2 scoop.

It's a lot of stuff no doubt, usually I'm drinking around 750ml~1000ml of smoothie in the morning but I'd say 40% is the water added to get to the smoothie consistency. I feel better approaching 40 this year than I did 10 years ago approaching 30, it's not even close. What a shame the people that run the "health" agencies seem more preoccupied with glorifying PepsiCo, Coke, chocolate bars, etc., than real enzyme-filled foods. :-(

Thanks for the tips on the order of processing, this one is more for my wife and child because they're not as keen on the smoothie consistency of the Vitamix but they both love freshly pressed juice from the farmer's market, and on the week-ends I'd enjoy a juice over a smoothie as well as I find it holds up longer.

Super excited!!!! \o/

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 11:03:18 AM PST
Your stuff sounds yummy except for the whey...I'd worry about the health risks of adding animal protein and would probably sub raw nuts and/or seeds instead (cashew or almond is good). I highly recommend beet-apple-ginger-lemon as a lovely dessert/snack juice. Haven't tried it in the VM but might work there too!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›