5.0 out of 5 stars Quick summary of my first impressions of the Canon G15, November 4, 2012
This review is from: Canon PowerShot G15 12MP Digital Camera with 3-Inch LCD (Black) (Electronics)
I have owned and loved my Canon G12 for the past two years. When I recently learned of the new G15 I wound up buying it on impulse due to my previous good luck with Canon and the promise of improved performance. Also influencing my decision was the fact that I was about to leave on a fall vacation trip which would provide a great opportunity to test the camera.

I could not be happier with the performance of the G15. Here are the features that impress me the most.

1. The smaller form factor does make it a bit easier to carry.
2. Low light performance is incredible. Even at higher ISO's up to 1600 this camera produces very useable images.
3. The image stabilization continues to be excellent and allows good handheld shots to be taken in difficult lighting situations.
4. I use the movie function sometimes just to insure that I capture an optimal still image for various events. The new 1080p HD shooting mode and ability to refocus while zooming are real improvements that I find very useful.
5. The elimination of the separate ISO control on the top of the camera and the rearrangement of the exposure dial control have been easy to adjust to and have not caused me any difficulty.
6. The loss of the moveable rear LCD display has also turned out to be a non-problem. I only used this feature sparingly on the G12 so the larger and sharper (although fixed) LCD on the G15 is actually another improvement for me.

A quick comment on the included software. I find the Canon Imagebrowser to be largely worthless for my needs. It has a strange interface from my perspective and takes up a huge amount of disk space. My main need is to edit movies. For this task the freeware program Video Pad is much superior. For RAW image manipulation the Canon Digital Photo Professional software is quite sufficient.

The bottom line for me... I think Canon has done a great job of moving the G series along with the new G15. I am extremely pleased with the camera and strongly recommend it for those considering an upgrade.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]