3.0 out of 5 stars Not as wonderful as I had hoped, May 8, 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV - PlayStation 3 (Video Game)
Usually, when they make a highly anticipated sequel to a much-loved video game franchise, the list of available activities goes up. It seems to me that with GTA IV, that list actually went down. Anyone agree?
I waited anxiously for GTA IV just like many other gamers. I have only been playing it for a few days, and I am already 50% of the way through. After playing GTA: San Andreas for a few days, I was thrilled to discover that I was only about 20% of the way through and still had not revealed the entire map! More detail at the sake of less space to explore = "Looks great. Sure wish it was bigger."
One of the most exciting moments in my video gaming history was discovering that you could finally steal the airplanes in GTA: San Andreas! One of the most disappointing moments in my video gaming history was discovering that they had eliminated this from GTA IV! What a perfect opportunity to make the flight ceiling higher and the destinations more interesting! Sorry, turns out it's back down to one smallish city. Plus, realizing that you could jump of of planes and sky-dive was freakin' sweet! Not happening this time around.
The controls for the various vehicles seem to have become more difficult. (More realistic?) I preferred being able to grab the handbrake and execute crisp turns and 180's to the new "touch the handbrake and spin out" scheme that exists now. And the motorcycles? It seems they've switched the reasonably grippy tires they normally used with tractionless rings of plastic.
And where have the fire-truck and ambulance missions gone? What about the ability to swim under water? Why haven't I been able to carry around a samurai sword or a chainsaw? Where is the flame-thrower? And what a great location the new Liberty City would have been for a jet-pack!
GTA IV seems to be a lot of "been there, done that" with very little new to keep the legions of fans happy. It will sell a billion copies because of the name it carries, but overall, this game is a disappointment.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 9, 2008 5:13:58 PM PDT
Mikey G. says:
Yup, I agree on all points.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 5:52:41 AM PDT
LsDono says:
While I do agree on a few of these points, I would like to say that I'm glad they got rid of the sprawling- countrysides-with-nothing-to-do and the Sims like gameplay and went back to the roots of what a GTA game is supposed to be like. Keep in mind that this is the first installment on a new console. If it had everything then where would they go next? I'm looking forward to the follow up GTA titles.

Posted on May 11, 2008 12:26:44 AM PDT
C. Smith says:
I partially agree about the size being limited, however in this game it seems that the space they eliminated was pretty much worthless space anyway. Some of the side activities they took away I never was personally fond of and they did add a few activities and side missions. It is true they did remove some weapons (flamethrower) and forms of transportation (tanks, planes, helicopter, jetpack, bicycles, parachutes), but taking these away added to the realism of the gameplay... these things were always a distraction to your suspension on disbelief when playing. The attempt was to make the game grittier and more realistic then previous games. As for removing the ability to swim in and out of water..... I say "A-MEN" to that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 2:46:08 AM PDT
Its funny, and a bit sad too, but I experianced the same painful realizations you did. I was stunned when I couldn't get in an airplane, couldn't buy properties, or any of the other features I had come to love in San Andreas.

And yes, the city really is quite small. Not exactly what I expected, given that SF in San Andreas was only a few blocks wide and this is about the same.

Disappointing to say the least.

Posted on Oct 29, 2008 1:02:16 PM PDT
absolutely agree with everything you said. love gta. played each and every one (ps, pc, psp) but IV was a great disappointment. finish the game in 3 days and that's it. pcj was my favorite and now simply sucks. the "realistic" excuse doesn't fly here.

Posted on May 2, 2009 3:47:10 PM PDT
Kyoko says:

Posted on May 19, 2009 3:16:35 PM PDT
K. U. Tran says:
GTA: San Andreas really set the bar high for the GTA series. However, GTA: SA is basically a standalone expansion to GTA3 plus GTA: Vice City. I believe they're trying to redo that formula for GTA4, but as you said, they took way too much out of GTA4. Seems like they'll also be doing that paid DLC crap (so far just a mediocre exclusive for XBox). I'll pass until they get things straight.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2009 1:39:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2009 1:39:44 PM PDT
Mia says:
Those "unrealistic" things that they took away were what made GTA FUN in the first place. I experience realism everyday;it's called LIFE. But sometimes I want to drive a tank around the city and run around with a chainsaw in my hands. Unfortunately, GTA4 was too realistic for that...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2009 5:49:17 PM PDT
C. Taylor says:
I'm glad they took most of that stuff out. Having it in is like having a nice, classy picture with about 15 people spoiled by ONE GUY making a stupid face. Driving tanks and using flamethrowers absolutely has a place in games, and that stuff is all OVER the place. It's nice to see them focusing on story, character development and the human element. That's something you DON'T often get to see.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2009 9:20:05 AM PDT
Chef Sean says:
Upon the first kill of the game:
CJ Johnson: "I'm a stone cold killa, b*tch!"
Niko Bellic: "I told myself I wouldn't kill anyone in this country."
Where's the audaciousness? C'mon Rockstar! Don't give me a game where the point is to kill and rob then try to make me feel bad about it. GTA is supposed to be a bawdy romp not a moral lesson.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (785 customer reviews)

$14.99 $12.58