5.0 out of 5 stars Great All around camera for any situation, April 4, 2012
This review is from: Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera with EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens (Electronics)
I recently sold my Canon 7D and saved up to get this camera. After hearing so much talk about how much better the D800 is and how the Mark III is not worth the money, I decided to give it a shot rather than be influenced by comments on the web by people who never shot with the camera. Upon first inspection after opening my kit I was impressed at how sturdy and professional the camera felt. I always felt the 7D was very tough and sturdy but the 5D takes it to another level. The grip is great and sticks to your hand. It also covers the batter compartment. The camera grip has a great indent for your hand and an excellent thumb rest. Overall ergonomics are fantastic and the camera has a slick look but is bigger than the 7D at every dimension. No confusing this with an entry or midlevel camera. It screams pro, even without a grip.

The settings were easy to navigate and the dials are all in familiar places for the most part. The new zoom requires an extra keypress but I found it better to use the wheel than the old zoom in/out buttons once you get used to it. The new rate button on the left side seemed a bit useless to me but I reprogrammed it to protect images. The LCD was big and bright and shows lots of crisp detail when zooming in. Also very usable for macro with it's quick focus zoom. The best LCD I have ever seen on a camera. The Viewfinder also big and bright. Huge improvement over what you see using a cropped sensor. This is one of the many reasons to go full frame.

Now onto using the camera. Coming from the 7D I enjoyed pretty good autofocus but the 5D Mark III dominates it in every way. It is super fast, accurate and locks on in really dim light. There are several action modes to select for the autofocus that react to the type of movement that you choose. Really groundbreaking stuff. I found nothing negative to say about it. I spent an afternoon shooting a kids party outdoors with the 24-105 f/4. The kids were running around like maniacs and I came away with many great in focus shots.

In the past when using Auto ISO in manual mode I was nervous when it went to 3200 because of noise. No such case with this camera. Indoor photos without a flash are no problem. Especially when you use a nice bright prime. I can shoot ISO 6400 all day and it will look like ISO 1600 on a 7D. I know most people dont shoot Jpeg but if you ever want some painless shots of your kids or family and dont want to mess around with too much post processing, this camera produces the finest jpegs you will find in a camera. Obviously raw files are sharper and I found the RAW files from the MKIII to be sharp and contrasty. Noise is well controlled though obviously noisier than the jpegs. Overall the image quality is excellent.

A new addition to the camera I thought was awesome was the silent mode shooting. It does reduce your frame rate to 3 FPS but what you get in return in this mode is virtually silent performance with much less shutter vibration. A really awesome and underrated feature. One of the many improvements people forget to mention about this camera.

I have to say there is something special to me about the 5D Mark III. It's a camera that I just have fun with. Its fast, easy to use, produces great results at perfect file sizes. Gives you various options for jpeg and RAW to meet your needs. I'm sorry I cannot review the video but I have not had a chance to test it in detail in order to provide one.

I know people constantly say that it's $500 more than the Nikon D800 but the truth is that it really isnt. In the end you will end up spending more on Nikon gear because it's just more expensive. Just an example.

D800 + 24-120 f/4 = $4,299
5D MKIII kit with 24-105 f/4 = $4,299

Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 = 1,899
Canon 24-70 f/2.8 = 1,375

add the grip, other lenses and a flash and you pay more than the Canon equivalents.

[Add comment]