Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

1,060 of 1,076 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Basic functionality but works well., October 14, 2012
This review is from: Sony DVPSR510H DVD Player (Upscaling) (Electronics)
Length:: 0:05 Mins

I purchased this DVD to play movies on DVDs attached to a high definition SONY TV via HDMI cable. I was looking for basic functionality that works well at a good price, and this is exactly what I got in this unit.

I am attaching a collage of three photos that I will be referencing in this review.

Photo #1 shows everything that came in the package: the DVD player, instructions, 3-RCA component video coax cable, remote and batteries. NOTE: HDMI cable is NOT included.
I placed the unit next to the rulers so you can see the dimensions of the unit: 10.5 inches long x 8 inches wide x 1.5 inch high. The power cord is 58 inches long.
The top of the DVD player is flat, so I was able to stack other things on top of it. The unit has no display, other than a green light next to the power button which tells you when the unit is on.

Photo #2 shows the DVD on a digital scale. It is very light weighing in at 2 pound and 1.4 oz

Photo #3 shows the back panel and the HDMI cable (not included). HDMI (High definition Multimedia Interface) delivers audio and high def video over the same cable. When you use HDMI cable you don't need to use the RCA cables that came with the DVD. I am showing the shape of the HDMI connector in case someone will find it helpful as it needs to be purchased separately. Amazon sells them at a really good price DVI Gear HDMI Cable 2M 6 feet.

HDMI cable is not required. I prefer it. Why? DVD will do upscaling with either cable but the quality of the output is likely to be better with HDMI. Using HDMI the signal remains digital. Using RCA the video has to go from Digital (source) to analog (signal) to digital (display). Each conversion results in a loss of quality.

UP-SCALING
-----------
This unit provides good up-scaling. Up-scaling is the ability to play standard definition DVDs on a high definition TV. Standard definition TV set and regular DVDs have a maximum resolution of 720x576. The high definition sets have higher resolution. If you play a standard definition DVD on a high resolution TV the video without up-scaling feature the video will look pixelated. Up-scaling adds pixels to the video to smooth out the pixelated images. The final image is not as good as tru Blu-Ray DVD, but I find it completely acceptable. I am watching the movies on LCD TV. Up-scaling works best on LCD and Plasma TVs, and not as well on CRT-based high definition TVs.

The default HDMI output from HDMI OUT output is set to 1920x1080p. This can be changed if needed, and is controlled by the TV/projector settings.

SUBTITLES and FAST/SLOW SPEED CONTROLS (Section added based on an interesting comment question)
--------------------------------------------
The DVD player supports 5 speeds: 0.6x, 0.8x, 1x (normal), 1.2x, and 1.4x. The speed is changed by repeatedly clicking on the fast/slow speed button on the remote. There are two ways to turn on subtitles: at the start of the DVD and at any time via remote. The sound is very good at each speed, however the subtitles are only shown at normal speed. When I tried forcing them on at another speed via remote control the player generates a message "operation not possible". As soon as I return to 1x speed the subtitles are shown again.

DVD player supports the following file formats:
-----------------------------------------------

DVD, DVD+-RW/+-R/+-R DL, Music CD/Super VCD, CD-R/-RW

RESTRICTIONS:
--------------
Files with copyright protection (digital Rights Management) cannot be played
Lossless files cannot be played
The player cannot play images in DVD-VR mode with CPRM (Content Protection for Recordable Media)
The player is designed to play disks with Compact Disk (CD) standard. DualDisks and music disks encoded with copyright protection do not conform to CD standard and may not be compatible with this unit.

WARNINGS from the manual:
-------------------------
1. To play a complex hierarchy of folders may take some time. Create albums with no more than two hierarchies.
2. The player will recognize a maximum of 200 albums and 600 files
It can recognize 300 photo and 300 music files if Photo(Music) is selected
3. The player cannot play a video file of size more than (720 width x 576 height)/2 GB

The remote is compatible with the following TVs:
------------------------------------------------

3. Plug in DVD into power and attach HDMI cable to the TV
4. Now you need to configure your TV to recognize the new HDMI component
For my SONY TV there were three steps
4a. Under components menu - Label Video inputs
This option tells TV which HDMI input to use and which one to skip. My TV has four HDMI connections, one already used and three were available. I was not sure which one I used for DVD so I enabled them all in this step
4b. I went to the list of all inputs where I saw all 4 HDMI connections I tried each one. Two of them generated an error that there was no input, one was my old connection (DVR) and one was the new DVD. This told me which inputs I should disable.
4c. I went back into "label video inputs" and set the label to "skip" for the two HDMI connections that told me "no input"

Overall, DVD player works well. The tray operations smoothly, the quality of the display is good, the remote works well. The only thing I don't like that the DVD turns off itself in 30 minutes if I put it on pause. I would have liked the ability to control this manually, or alternatively have the automatic power off be 2 hours. The unit does not shut off if it is being used. The auto shut off happens if the unit is in pause or stopped.

Ali Julia review

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 78 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 21, 2012 9:41:13 AM PDT
V. Thomas says:
Thank you for such a detailed review. This helps me to make a more informed decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 8:12:56 PM PDT
Ali Julia says:
Thanks for your comment. Nice to know that it was helpful :-)

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 7:56:09 AM PDT
mooter says:
Amazon should have you writing product descriptions

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 8:18:39 AM PDT
Mooter, thank you! You've made my morning ;-) < big grin > AJ

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 4:40:47 PM PDT
Xanzoc says:
Wow, thanks for the thorough review. I picked up a Sony DVPSR210P at Target for $30 ($5 off.) I am considering spending a little more for 510H instead since it has the HDMI and the upscaling. But my primary aim with either of these models is to use the slow-playback-with-sound feature to study Spanish. Mostly, I want to watch movies with Spanish as their original language and also play Spanish subtitles. Could you tell me how the 510H sounds in slow playback and whether you can view subtitles in slow playback mode?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 7:09:40 PM PDT
Ali Julia says:
Xanzoc, Cool use! I can see how that would be very helpful.

I have never used these features and just tried them out for the first time. The speeds that are available are 0.6x, 0.8x, 1x (normal), 1.2x, and 1.4x. The speed is changed by repeatedly clicking on the fast/slow speed button on the remote. There are two ways to turn on subtitles: at the start of the DVD and at any time via remote. I turned them on at the start. The sound is very good at each speed, however the subtitles are only shown at normal speed. When I tried forcing them on at another speed via remote control the player generates a message "operation not possible". As soon as I return to 1x speed the subtitles are shown again. AJ

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 3:58:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 4:23:05 PM PST
Xanzoc says:
thanks for taking the time to check this out for me. Being able to read the subtitles in slow speed would have just been icing on the cake. It will be great to slow down Spanish dialogue though and see if it makes it easier for me to understand. I'll probably pick one up soon.

update: While you can't get subtitles in slow play, cc (closed captioning) does work in slow or fast speeds. Unfortunately, cc on a dvd is not as common, and even less likely for me to find cc in Spanish. But it is better than nothing. (The particular example of this was "The Motorcycle Diaries" DVD 25942 Focus Features Spotlight Series, 2004.)

Another slight disappointment is that if you pause in slow or fast play, when you resume play it defaults back to normal. For someone using it to study a language, it is preferable to be able to resume in slow speed.

To have this feature at all though is a great advantage for me, and I don't believe it exists on Sony's blu-ray players. I may even buy an extra 210 model ($30 on sale, but no HDMI or upscaling) just as an insurance policy in case I wear this one out with my constant pausing and speed adjustments.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 12:41:07 PM PST
Fats says:
Thanks so much - extremly informative!

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:59:23 PM PST
maryb says:
Thank you for all the information. I've printed out your installation instructions and now it makes sense to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 8:08:11 PM PST