Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag for us Marilyn fans! Blu ray and Premiere Collection review., July 31, 2012
This review is from: Forever Marilyn Collection [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I am like millions a huge Marilyn Monroe fan and was so excited to hear a blu ray collection was on it's way as well as the new Marilyn Premiere Collection which includes 17 dvd's. I received both sets today and from a packaging standpoint it freed up ALOT of room for your DVD shelves. While I adore Marilyn I am utterly confused about these sets. The bluray package is very nice and is the size of a standard DVD case made of cardboard however, it is easily damaged, mine was crushed and now I am awaiting a replacement. Also if you get this open it with CAUTION as my blurays and the dvd sets fell out of their holders which are NOT sturdy enough to keep the discs in place. The cardboard sleeves also had small tears making the blu rays slide right out of place. The blu rays look great. Gentlmen Prefer Blondes is stunning and the best of the bunch in my opinion. All the others are very nice and clear but in my opinion this title of GPB' looks the best. Gone are the special features from The Diamond Collection with the exception of The Seven Year Itch. If you love Marilyn the set IS worth getting based on the clarity alone and it's the best we will get I am sure, for a very long time. What ANNOYS me is the selection of films. Where is Niagara, Lets Make Love, Bus Stop AND most importantly the documentary The Final Days with the reconstructed mini film of Something's Got To Give???? Even more odd is in The Premiere DVD Collection it has 17 films but excludes "River of no Return". WHY!!!!! Granted if you buy both sets you will have all her films just a handful in blu ray.

Who the heck made these decisions? Why? And what was the thought process?? I wish they asked us as fans to pick what we would like to see in a blu ray collection. I wish FOX would have just released the Premiere DVD collection in blu ray. Many of Marilyn's early films look good and would likely have transferred over well to the blu ray format.

I hope this helped. Worth buying? Yes! Worth getting them in HD? Yes!!

I just am not sure why FOX chose to exclude Niagara, Don't Bother to knock, Bus Stop and Let's Make Love and I find this very odd indeed!

It is worth getting and I would recommend it ONLY if you are a die hard Fan . If you already have them save your money on the premiere collection. My only hope is Fox is remastering and cleaning up Bus Stop, and all the others for a 2nd blu ray collection. To clarify I compared the Blu ray collection to the new DVD collection and the blu rays are a vast improvement. These sets really go hand in hand if you want all your Marlyn in one small space. I would love to speak to the fools at Fox on how they came up with this selection. Some Like it Hot and The Misfits are included and if FOX could license these MGM titles why not also use The Asphalt Jungle and The Fireball (also MGM/WB) Clash by Night and The Princes and the Show Girl??? (both WB) and lastly they couldn't license Ladies of the Chorus????

I suppose it's better than nothing. A zillion stars for the talent of Marilyn, 4 stars on the blu ray transfers and two stars for the poor selection, flimsy packaging and that Fox didn't include a new documentary for the 50th anniversary of Marilyn's tragic demise. Overall 3 stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 1, 2012 8:15:30 AM PDT
J Byrd says:
Thank you sooo much for your review. I've been waiting for some detailed insight into this set. I've heard conflicting info regarding the packaging and can't decide whether to purchase the individual discs or get the collection. It bugs me that they just released Misfits and Some Like It Hot recently and with no knowledge that they were planning to release them as part of a set, I'll be purchasing the set just for the other 5 films. Could you share a little more info regarding the packaging. I know they went the 'cardboard sleeve' route, but is there anything special (subjective, I know) about the interior. Any booklet, artwork, etc. I'm strongly considering just purchasing The remaining 5 separately unless someone says something mighty impressive regarding the packaging. Thanks again for your thoughts and comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 10:52:54 AM PDT
E. Coogan says:
Hi there. The packaging is very cheap to be honest. It is decorative and looks pretty. On the Bluray packaging there are two seperate "books" - one that holds 4 films, the other the remaning three. There are no booklets, no notes, no collectible cards and the there is no disc art other than on the Misfits and Some Like it Hot. Each "book" has a nice photo of Marilyn on the back. However, on the premiere DVD collection each disc has Marilyn's image in charachter from the film (excluding the Misfits disc) while the format is the same the books each fold out to house the discs slid into a "half sleeve" (mine keep falling out), and on the back a nice full photo of Marilyn on each book (there are three in the premiere DVD collection). I have to say however the sleeves on both the blu ray and premiere and the "books" are very thin and flimsy cardboard. If you are an artwork fan I would recommend maybe buying the 5 individual blu rays. Hope this helps you.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 3:06:51 PM PDT
J Byrd says:
Thanks again...the info was a BIG help, and as it turns out, I just found out a couple hours ago that Walmart was selling the single blurays for 9.96 each. Just picked them up and I couldn't be happier. Can't wait to see how Fox chooses to release the rest of the catalog. Personally, I'm dying for a widescreen release of 'The Prince & The Showgirl'...one of my absolute favorites!

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 10:12:57 PM PDT
takemehome says:
Fox didn't have to license those titles from MGM - Fox has had the home video distribution rights to the current MGM-owned properties for about five years. Those two Blu-Rays were released last year, I believe - which is also why they're the only ones with disc art. The others you mentioned aren't likely to get Blu-Ray releases because WB rarely releases catalogue titles in pressed retail SD DVD anymore, much less Blu-Ray, except for their big prestige titles they can sell over and over again, like The Wizard Of Oz, Gone With The Wind, Ben-Hur, Casablanca (which JUST got YET ANOTHER big box DVD and Blu-Ray issue, after already being given the Ultimate Collector's Edition treatment a few years back), etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012 7:11:19 PM PDT
E. Coogan says:
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize Fox owned the MGM titles. That was helpful to know. I would still love to see even a standard DVD of Ladies of the Chorus. Thanks again.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 10:33:25 AM PDT

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 3:23:51 PM PDT
LA MovieGuy says:
You have a pretty good review of these Marilyn movies, but you seem to flip back ands forth between the Forever and the Premiere series, and the packaging. Are these the same or are these two different series? Are they both in Blue Ray or one in BRay and one is not? Too much is spent on the packaging and the titles released by different studios. I have some Marilyn films but would like to find a collection of her best work. The packaging is secondary to the titles available. Thanks anyway.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 3:23:22 PM PST
QMLHCB says:

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:15:17 AM PST
Benny Heinze says:
You're so right mr. Coogan.
But then, there are sufficient movies of MM to produce a second BluRay collection.
Even though MM has a talent for natural acting, in her movie "The Prince and the showgirl" she elevates it to the art of acting.
Hope the producer(s) won't miss that one in the next(?) collection.
Ben Heinze from Aruba.

Posted on Dec 29, 2015 11:42:06 PM PST
I remember the problems FOX had in bringing Bus Stop and other titles to DVD, the original negatives had shrunk due to poor storage. The colors had to be re-aligned by computer.
I would bet that the titles requiring additional restoration work are the titles missing from this first set.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›